Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't driven a 2.3 or 7MT yet but I thought the steering felt nice enough on the WT I drove. I get where you're coming from, I actually prefer manual steering above all, it feels sooo good. I'm very much enjoying the manual steering on the Zuk (sorry for bringing it up @604Bronco )
If you want to ride ā€œZukā€ then you do youā€¦

Ford Bronco Drove 2.3AT - trying to forecast to manual - for an enthusiast driver 1630101586068
Sponsored

StormtrooperS225

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sweet, that is pretty rare, let us know what you think!
will do this will be the 2nd bronco I have driven the other being a 2.7

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ā€˜21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I predict many manual buyers are like me - feel strongly about steering feel, chassis, fun, sound, manual interaction/connection and will tend to be enthusiasts that like a variety of vehicles. I had an extended test drive where the dealer loaned me the car for an afternoon and I came away very impressed. I like sports cars and cars that can be taken off-road 'purpose built' and I am kind of a diehard manual transmission fan. I was very disappointed when the manual was only offered in the 2.3L engine and after being fully committed to buying a Bronco I have been on the fence.

As of today I am leaning toward the 7MT Bronco - Here is why.

I am not a fan at all of electric steering and in general I find my preference to be older cars with hydraulic steering. The Bronco has fantastic steering, in fact it blew me away, they absolutely nailed it. This should be highlighted more in the reviews, but it feels like a more heavy direct hydraulic steering rack. Very similar to the Focus RS, the weighting and feel is fantastic. Driving dynamics are great, it is fun to drive and feels like an experience. I 'think' the manual will be very engaging from what I have seen many suggest it is similar to the Focus ST/RS which was one of the best modern manuals IMO.

My biggest gripe with the Bronco (the sound) could be overshadowed by the steering feel and manual transmission engagement. The perfect vehicle for me would be a loud raucous manual V8 Bronco, but that is not going to happen so it comes down to this question - Can I live with the sound/power of the 2.3L engine and for me the answer is, I think I can. It has character, it is punchy, and does not feel underpowered. The turbo lag - on boost off boost - was a fun unique experience.

All in all it comes down to the manual, I think that puts this over the top - a manual transmission off-roader is super exciting to me and despite my desire for a louder / more powerful motor, driving the 2.3 and imagining rowing my own gears I came back to the Bronco as a vehicle I will definitely purchase when my slot becomes available.

Just my $.02 from a car/truck/manual fanatic.....(y)
isn't there a 2.7 MT coming in MY22. if you're still not ordered yet then why not just wait until the 13th and go for the 2.7?

Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
isn't there a 2.7 MT coming in MY22. if you're still not ordered yet then why not just wait until the 13th and go for the 2.7?
The 2.7 has never had a MT in any vehicle it has come in. Ford has no plan to do it now.

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ā€˜21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.7 has never had a MT in any vehicle it has come in. Ford has no plan to do it now.
Ah that sucks - I guess I confused the issue cause Articles always paired no SAS or 2.7 w/ MT in MY21 but yes SAS in MT in my22 so I misread that the 2.7 would be avail too. Now I really know I made the right decision not just the instant gratification decision.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great review, but light wanna change the title, thought you drove the auto when I read AT

blake_woody

Badlands
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The manual transmission in the Bronco paired with the 2.3 engine is VERY fun to drive every single time you get in it. Iā€™ve had my 2.3 manual Badlands for three weeks now and every time I get in it I smile. The power to me is plenty and youā€™re right, it does have character. Itā€™s like nothing Iā€™ve ever driven before. The turbo boost is fun and rowing gears all day keeps you more engaged and every drive is a fun one. You canā€™t go wrong with what youā€™re leaning towards. Itā€™s the right way to go IMO.

devhodge

Big Bend
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The manual transmission in the Bronco paired with the 2.3 engine is VERY fun to drive every single time you get in it. Iā€™ve had my 2.3 manual Badlands for three weeks now and every time I get in it I smile. The power to me is plenty and youā€™re right, it does have character. Itā€™s like nothing Iā€™ve ever driven before. The turbo boost is fun and rowing gears all day keeps you more engaged and every drive is a fun one. You canā€™t go wrong with what youā€™re leaning towards. Itā€™s the right way to go IMO.
Couldnā€™t agree more! My 2.3 MT BB is fun every single day. I am 2 weeks in and very close to my 1K breakin where I will be in sport mode more often than not. Note, 1st and 2nd are short and you can feel the weight of the vehicle pulling you back but in 3rd and 4th, where the turbo really kicks, the inertia is forward and fun. Down shifting from 4th to 3rd to blast past people always elicits a smile from me and passengers. 5th and 6th (rarely) are for the highways pretty exclusively. Iā€™m having so much fun rowing I really donā€™t mind the poorly timed stoplights. The stop and go city traffic where I slip into C-rawler gear is like a secret gag that makes me chuckle since I have this kind of super power. Also, Iā€™m finding myself volunteering for every kid pickup from sports, every grocery run, and even the occasional mother-in-law doctor appointment pickup, etc. Itā€™s not just because Iā€™m the coolest Bronco cat in town with all the double takes from my adoring fans but because of the MT driving experience. 2.3 is plenty and MT is moreā€¦

Sponsored

StormtrooperS225

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I got to dive the 7spd today. Not very far because the dealer still had to do some receiving inspection on it, no more then 50 kph (30 mph) and no farther then 1 kilometer (1.6 miles) but from that I like it. Crawl gear is like cheating for starting off, I found crawl gear to be close to 1st in my old 93 dodge 3/4 ton with 5.9 not saying power wise but speed and starting off. Did I give it gas yes but I didn't want to damage anything or give any codes and idk if it would have just playing nice(got to keep up the nice Canadian thing ya know)

THe one I drove was a Big Bend in rapid red.

It is different but that's because I have been driving a car with stick for the last 7 years.

I did find out mine is scheduled for October 25th and should be here maybe by November but we will see. Just wish I would have gotten it before winter because I wanted to do some winter preping for it but that's life.

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I 100% agree with your assessment here. I was lucky enough to have my 2DR 2.3L 7MT delivered a few weeks ago, and I have been very happy with it
Iā€™m a ā€˜22 with a similar build. Iā€™m curious to see how the 2.3 manual will drive with the Sasquatch.

Last edited:

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2 door Mansquatch or no Bronco for me. I would have preferred the 2.7 and like many, would have paid EXTRA for the combo but Ford isnā€™t listening. The 2.3 will be fun nonetheless and killer with some tuning and modsšŸ‘

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a Base 4DR Sasquatch with the 2.3 and Auto. I have a about 1250 miles on it. Have had a couple of "emergency" stops. Performed as well as any other vehicle I've ever had, except for my "82 Mustang GT with a 5.0 and manual and maybe our Armada (that is a beast of another kind).

I'm still getting used to the Bronco, have a previously daily driven an Escape with the 1.5 turbo. Biggest thing for me was the road noises through a soft top. As far as a driving experience I love it. Nice solid platform, really stable. Tires are soft, but not wobbly. Highway manners are fine...just did 650 miles one way and will repeat the drive in another couple of days. I have a solid 300 miles til I start to look for gas and that should get a little better. Computer has me at 18.2 mpg, Fuelly has me at 17.7.

I think Base with manual and better tires would be a riot on backroads and gravel and fire/logging roads!!

Just my thoughts!!
Sponsored