Drove 2.3AT - trying to forecast to manual - for an enthusiast driver

manualT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I predict many manual buyers are like me - feel strongly about steering feel, chassis, fun, sound, manual interaction/connection and will tend to be enthusiasts that like a variety of vehicles. I had an extended test drive where the dealer loaned me the car for an afternoon and I came away very impressed. I like sports cars and cars that can be taken off-road 'purpose built' and I am kind of a diehard manual transmission fan. I was very disappointed when the manual was only offered in the 2.3L engine and after being fully committed to buying a Bronco I have been on the fence.

As of today I am leaning toward the 7MT Bronco - Here is why.

I am not a fan at all of electric steering and in general I find my preference to be older cars with hydraulic steering. The Bronco has fantastic steering, in fact it blew me away, they absolutely nailed it. This should be highlighted more in the reviews, but it feels like a more heavy direct hydraulic steering rack. Very similar to the Focus RS, the weighting and feel is fantastic. Driving dynamics are great, it is fun to drive and feels like an experience. I 'think' the manual will be very engaging from what I have seen many suggest it is similar to the Focus ST/RS which was one of the best modern manuals IMO.

My biggest gripe with the Bronco (the sound) could be overshadowed by the steering feel and manual transmission engagement. The perfect vehicle for me would be a loud raucous manual V8 Bronco, but that is not going to happen so it comes down to this question - Can I live with the sound/power of the 2.3L engine and for me the answer is, I think I can. It has character, it is punchy, and does not feel underpowered. The turbo lag - on boost off boost - was a fun unique experience.

All in all it comes down to the manual, I think that puts this over the top - a manual transmission off-roader is super exciting to me and despite my desire for a louder / more powerful motor, driving the 2.3 and imagining rowing my own gears I came back to the Bronco as a vehicle I will definitely purchase when my slot becomes available.

Just my $.02 from a car/truck/manual fanatic.....(y)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I predict many manual buyers are like me - feel strongly about steering feel, chassis, fun, sound, manual interaction/connection and will tend to be enthusiasts that like a variety of vehicles. I had an extended test drive where the dealer loaned me the car for an afternoon and I came away very impressed. I like sports cars and cars that can be taken off-road 'purpose built' and I am kind of a diehard manual transmission fan. I was very disappointed when the manual was only offered in the 2.3L engine and after being fully committed to buying a Bronco I have been on the fence.

I am not a fan at all of electric steering and in general I find my preference to be older cars with hydraulic steering. The Bronco has fantastic steering, in fact it blew me away, they absolutely nailed it. This should be highlighted more in the reviews, but it feels like a more heavy direct hydraulic steering rack. Very similar to the Focus RS, the weighting and feel is fantastic. Driving dynamics are great, it is fun to drive and feels like an experience. I 'think' the manual will be very engaging from what I have seen many suggest it is similar to the Focus ST/RS which was one of the best modern manuals IMO.

My biggest gripe with the Bronco (the sound) could be overshadowed by the steering feel and manual transmission engagement. The perfect vehicle for me would be a loud raucous manual V8 Bronco, but that is not going to happen so it comes down to this question - Can I live with the sound/power of the 2.3L engine and for me the answer is, I think I can. It has character, it is punchy, and does not feel underpowered. The turbo lag - on boost off boost - was a fun unique experience.

All in all it comes down to the manual, I think that puts this over the top - a manual transmission off-roader is super exciting to me and despite my desire for a louder / more powerful motor, driving the 2.3 and imagining rowing my own gears I came back to the Bronco as a vehicle I will definitely purchase when my slot becomes available.

How about the brakes, anybody care?
Broncos with the 2.3 have Ranger like vacuum assist. The Ranger's brakes are a known and documented sore spot. The 2.7’s have electronic assist.
Car and Driver’s testing showed a much heavier 2.7 stopping 20 feet shorter than a lighter 2.3.
The 217 foot stop from 70 MPH for the four banger should be very concerning. I believe they were both 2DR’s. The 4DR 2.3 will be worse. Maybe just wait for the 2.7 manual?

Last edited:

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Broncos with the 2.3 have Ranger like vacuum assist. The Ranger's brakes are a know and documented sore spot. The 2.7’s have electronic assist.
Car and Driver’s testing showed a much heavier 2.7 stopping 20 feet shorter than a lighter 2.3.
The 217 foot stop from 70 MPH for the four banger should be very concerning. I believe they were both 2DR’s. The 4DR 2.3 will be worse.
Interesting. And then people are going to put bigger tires on them. BTW, what tire size was the test done with, do you have that info?

Glad the OP thought the power was fine with the 2.3. I keep thinking I want the 2.7 because more power is always good, but I keep coming back to the 2.3 because of the vacuum assist brakes and flat towing it, and the reports that the power is good.

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I 100% agree with your assessment here. I was lucky enough to have my 2DR 2.3L 7MT delivered a few weeks ago, and I have been very happy with it

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting. And then people are going to put bigger tires on them. BTW, what tire size was the test done with, do you have that info?

Glad the OP thought the power was fine with the 2.3. I keep thinking I want the 2.7 because more power is always good, but I keep coming back to the 2.3 because of the vacuum assist brakes and flat towing it, and the reports that the power is good.
C&D's testing was using a First Edition and 2.3 Black Diamond.
Can't you flat tow a 2.7?

Sponsored

StormtrooperS225

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am hoping to test drive a 7spd tomorrow.

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just remember the Bronco will accept (some) RS performance parts, and can get the same growl with exhaust and intake. Bronco RS here we come. I truly have no doubts about 2.3l. First gen Lightning V8 trucks were 240 HP, we will be fast enough to flip.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

C&D's testing was using a First Edition and 2.3 Black Diamond.
Can't you flat tow a 2.7?
So 32" tires on the 2.3.

Yes on flat towing either one. My concern is my towed vehicle braking system, the Air Force One system I have supplies vacuum to the booster. So there is both proportional braking and power brakes on the tow'd. Don't know for sure yet on the 2.7 if/how long the power brake will work with the engine not running, and how it could run down the battery. Easier, and less cost, to stick with the 2.3 as long as I wouldn't be disappointed with the power. All reports are that it's fine.

StormtrooperS225

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Are you going to stormtrooper out a white bronco?
I would have but....cactus grey got me......
No going for area 51 1. cuz its funny 2. I wont forget the colour
and I dont want white because I see far to many white vehicles where I live

Sponsored

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
manualT

manualT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Broncos with the 2.3 have Ranger like vacuum assist. The Ranger's brakes are a known and documented sore spot. The 2.7’s have electronic assist.
The 217 foot stop from 70 MPH for the four banger should be very concerning. I believe they were both 2DR’s. The 4DR 2.3 will be worse. Maybe just wait for the 2.7 manual?

I did not notice any problems with the brakes, but the vehicle I drove was not a Sasquatch.
Is there going to be a manual 2.7? I did not know that was a possibility -

josephs6392

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1940 Ford roadster pickup, 1947 Ford 5W coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had an opportunity to test drive a 2.3 with manual trans a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised at how fun it was. I didn’t run it too hard but it easily chirped the tires in 1st and 2nd gear. It was a BD 4dr. My wife was convinced and very happy that we have one on order.
Shifting was short and responsive. It was fun to drive but I’m sticking to the 2.7 for my build. As most have stated, the piss poor exhaust sound is the most disappointing part of the driving experience. Same problem with both engines.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't driven a 2.3 or 7MT yet but I thought the steering felt nice enough on the WT I drove. I get where you're coming from, I actually prefer manual steering above all, it feels sooo good. I'm very much enjoying the manual steering on the Zuk (sorry for bringing it up @604Bronco )
Sponsored