First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I recently test drove a new Gladiator Rubicon, Ranger, F-150 with the 3.3 and 2.7 engines.

I found the Gladiator roomy and super comfortable. There was ample telescoping steering for my very long legs. I found it very peppy though- must be coming from driving my 97 Wrangler- which is super sluggish with only 180 HP turning 31” tires. Have to totally agree on the steering though- super loose and a lot of correction to keep it going straight. Definitely not with the 57K they wanted for it.

The Ranger was just OK. It did not wow me in any way. Power was "adequate". My biggest complaint is that I could not get the steering wheel down low enough. It had plenty of telescoping, jut would not lower enough. I tried raising the seat and overall still did not feel right.

The F-150 with the 3.3 was super base- short bed 2WD regular cab, roll down windows even. It had the 3.3 flex fuel V6. It was super comfortable- even with the vinyl interior. The 3.3 was doggish in performance though. Not good value for a 30K truck.

The F-150 (Extended Cab) 2WD with the 2.7 was awesome., peppy as heck, power everywhere. Super comfortable as well. The looks were just "OK" to me though- it looked kind of boring in base trim. I was cross shopping it against a Silverado (Double Cab). The F-150 was a base model, no limited slip or locking rear differential even. I was concerned with just an open differential. The lowest they would let it go for was 34K. I end buying the Silverado- also base but a 4 X 4 and it included a rear locking differential and the 5.3 V8. Much better value as I took it home for only 28K.

The 2.7 in a good engine paired with the 10 speed automatic. I am leaning on it- although the 2.3 might be a different story with a manual.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
LSU Jonno

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently test drove a new Gladiator Rubicon, Ranger, F-150 with the 3.3 and 2.7 engines.

I found the Gladiator roomy and super comfortable. There was ample telescoping steering for my very long legs. I found it very peppy though- must be coming from driving my 97 Wrangler- which is super sluggish with only 180 HP turning 31” tires. Have to totally agree on the steering though- super loose and a lot of correction to keep it going straight. Definitely not with the 57K they wanted for it.

The Ranger was just OK. It did not wow me in any way. Power was "adequate". My biggest complaint is that I could not get the steering wheel down low enough. It had plenty of telescoping, jut would not lower enough. I tried raising the seat and overall still did not feel right.

The F-150 with the 3.3 was super base- short bed 2WD regular cab, roll down windows even. It had the 3.3 flex fuel V6. It was super comfortable- even with the vinyl interior. The 3.3 was doggish in performance though. Not good value for a 30K truck.

The F-150 (Extended Cab) 2WD with the 2.7 was awesome., peppy as heck, power everywhere. Super comfortable as well. The looks were just "OK" to me though- it looked kind of boring in base trim. I was cross shopping it against a Silverado (Double Cab). The F-150 was a base model, no limited slip or locking rear differential even. I was concerned with just an open differential. The lowest they would let it go for was 34K. I end buying the Silverado- also base but a 4 X 4 and it included a rear locking differential and the 5.3 V8. Much better value as I took it home for only 28K.

The 2.7 in a good engine paired with the 10 speed automatic. I am leaning on it- although the 2.3 might be a different story with a manual.
The entire cabin of the Gladiator felt roomy, agree, but I felt the front row was a tad cramped. Gladiator was definitely roomier than the Ranger. I wasn't much concerned with room in the Ranger, as I was just driving it for engine comparisons.

OP
OP
LSU Jonno

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4,858 lbs. for a supercrew and 2.7; about the same.
Good to know. I assumed there would be a bigger difference. Can't wait until people start putting tunes on the V6.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The F150 has to be a lot heavier vehicle than the Bronco right? I think the 2.7 in the Bronco is going to absolutely fly. It felt great in the F150.
The weight difference between the F150 and Bronco is minimal. Less than 300lbs.

OP
OP
LSU Jonno

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The weight difference between the F150 and Bronco is minimal. Less than 300lbs.
Yeah, just realized that. Still, the 2.7 is going to be really fun to drive.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

4,858 lbs. for a supercrew and 2.7; about the same.
Specs list out the Bronco as:

2.7L EcoBoost®4491 - 51294661 - 5320

Not a featherweight by any means.

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My '18 4x2 RCSB F150 2.7 is actually a bit lighter than listed bronco specs (~4,300). Aluminum body and a bunch of empty space in the back I guess..

A 2-door base with rear seats, doors and rear top removed (keeping that front panel on as I am follicle challenged and need the sun protection) should be close enough and with the 2.7 a very fun ride.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm surprised you were underwhelmed by the 2.3 and extremely surprised you felt it was slower than the diesel. I'd be willing to bet absolutely any amount of money that the 2.3 would destroy the diesel in a drag race.
I grew up on nothing but large V8's and the 2.3 really impresses me.
I'm not going to say it converted me, but (except for the sound) I don't miss my V8's nearly as much anymore.
Of course if I had a choice I'd take a 2.7, but if I had a choice I'd take the 3.5, but that's only because I always want more power, even if it's unneccessary.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Great write up. Ive done alot of the same, except finding a 2.7 in an F150 around here is like finding a unicorn apparently. I agree with your findings.

Ive almost bought a Wrangler several times over the years (as a weekend toy), but there are 5 things that kept me from doing it:
  1. Wrangler is small, feels very cramped, uncomfortable driving experience.
  2. Its kinda ugly, dont like the V front end and wheel wells.
  3. Feels very under powered, I would expect a small SUV to have a bit of pep, but nada.
  4. It drives like shit on the highway/death wobble issues common.
  5. Seems pretty overpriced for what it is.
When they announced the Bronco I decided to wait and see what Ford had, always was a fan of the Bronco growing up. With what we have seen so far, Im confident 2, 3, and 4 are not issues with the Bronco. 5 is the same, of course they matched Jeep pricing, fine I can live with it. But 1 has me very concerned. Its the same size as the wrangler and I feel cramped in a Wrangler.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'm surprised you were underwhelmed by the 2.3 and extremely surprised you felt it was slower than the diesel. I'd be willing to bet absolutely any amount of money that the 2.3 would destroy the diesel in a drag race.
I grew up on nothing but large V8's and the 2.3 really impresses me.
I'm not going to say it converted me, but (except for the sound) I don't miss my V8's nearly as much anymore.
Of course if I had a choice I'd take a 2.7, but if I had a choice I'd take the 3.5, but that's only because I always want more power, even if it's unneccessary.
Probably the torque with the diesel, 442 vs 310 with the 2.3 so it'll pull quick but drop off but looks like not much, Wrangler has 260 hp compared to 270 for Ranger/Bronco. Need to take into account that it's a 6k option on the Jeep too which makes the 2.7 a bargain and 2.3 a steal!

DwnSth

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2013 F150, 2014 GC, 2002 TJ,
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

What model year did you drive? There is a fix (new steering box) for the loose steering for all vehicles and the 2021's have the new box. The steering has been a huge issue and FCA has gotten a lot of flack for stating they were driving like a solid front axle jeep. I have 2001 TJ that drives better on a 4 inch lift with 35's. Every new wrangler I test drove had this problem. Now I'm a sucker for jeeps (and Broncos when I get my hands on one) so I actually have a 2021 Rubicon Diesel on order. I will not purchase if the steering is still not corrected.
If you get a chance, try to test drive a 2021 wrangler or gladiator. I'm hearing the difference is night and day.
The diesel is the only engine I would have. Didn't like the 3.6 or the 2.0 turbo - although others in my jeep club have them and are very happy. My F150 with 3.5 ecoboost is an amazing truck and tow vehicle. Wouldn't have anything else. Looking forward to checking the bronco with the 2.7 out.

RonM0710

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge; Suz. XL7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What model year did you drive? There is a fix (new steering box) for the loose steering for all vehicles and the 2021's have the new box. The steering has been a huge issue and FCA has gotten a lot of flack for stating they were driving like a solid front axle jeep. I have 2001 TJ that drives better on a 4 inch lift with 35's. Every new wrangler I test drove had this problem. Now I'm a sucker for jeeps (and Broncos when I get my hands on one) so I actually have a 2021 Rubicon Diesel on order. I will not purchase if the steering is still not corrected.
If you get a chance, try to test drive a 2021 wrangler or gladiator. I'm hearing the difference is night and day.
The diesel is the only engine I would have. Didn't like the 3.6 or the 2.0 turbo - although others in my jeep club have them and are very happy. My F150 with 3.5 ecoboost is an amazing truck and tow vehicle. Wouldn't have anything else. Looking forward to checking the bronco with the 2.7 out.
I test drove a 2021 4x4 Ranger with the 2.3 engine with 10 speed auto. Power was ok, but the Ranger is lighter. Looks like I am going for the V6-2.7 engine

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Guys, I have a 2.7L Edge Sport so I am very familiar with the engine.

It pulls like a bat out of hell, I don't think you all realize how much torque it has down low and the power you get from it. It is not comparable to a NA motor, it has major power throughout the RPM range, it wants to go. The Bronco and Edge weight close to the same, the Bronco will be a BEAST with the 2.7L.
Sponsored