Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love when people test drive a vehicle for 2 minutes and are an expert at how it runs. I have owned the ten speed in two different vehicles and it works great. I remember the tranny searching for gears a few times when I first got them but after 500 miles or so you don't even feel it. I definetly like the 10 speed to the previous one. It really shines towing up hills in high elevations with an Ecoboost, nothing keeps up with it.
My experience as well. Excellent transmission. It occasionally shifts awkwardly when cold at our cottage, getting on a highway 100ft from the driveway. It is like all automatics these days, in normal mode it is prioritizing economy. Sport mode does sharpen the shifts and allow agrressive driving, but it’s not smooth in daily driving in my experience. Fun for dirt road blasts and on ramp shenanigans.
Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've got about 25k miles in a 10 speed with 3.5 EcoBoost, driving the piss out of it, and I hate the computer not the transmission. You know the one in every modern automatic vehicle that let's you mash the pedal and waits to see if you really mean it before telling the engine.

I don't really care which gear it is in as long as it does the job. It's like complaining about cylinder count...why? *aside from sound

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Agreed. Its a good tranny. If you arent driving like grandma put it in sport mode. I know people are jumping in these vehicles and trying to see what it can do...Like previously mentioned if it doesnt know you then it wont respond accordingly. I wonder if the Bronco will have sport mode?

"You know the one in every modern automatic vehicle that let's you mash the pedal and waits to see if you really mean it before telling the engine. "

Not just this, but the turbo takes an extra second to spool up as well.

The 2.3 with the auto acts the same way in the ecoboost mustang. First time I test drove one I mashed the throttle and it did nothing..for at least 2 seconds. The only way to get a good 0-60 time is to get the manual.

Last edited:

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed. Its a good tranny. If you arent driving like grandma put it in sport mode. I know people are jumping in these vehicles and trying to see what it can do...Like previously mentioned if it doesnt know you then it wont respond accordingly. I wonder if the Bronco will have sport mode?

"You know the one in every modern automatic vehicle that let's you mash the pedal and waits to see if you really mean it before telling the engine. "

Not just this, but the turbo takes an extra second to spool up as well.

The 2.3 with the auto acts the same way in the ecoboost mustang. First time I test drove one I mashed the throttle and it did nothing..for at least 2 seconds. The only way to get a good 0-60 time is to get the manual.
The Wildtrak will have Sport mode and some people are going to ruin their tires in under 10k miles due to peeling out at every stoplight; yes, even with 35s, but especially with a tune.

The turbo lag is really minimal; surprising, but so smooth. It used to be that half the fun of a turbocharged vehicle was when the lag stopped and you got that butt-planting acceleration. I'm sure the other engines behave a little differently, but Ford's EcoBoost wizardy is not the same as that '97 Civic with an over-sized Garrett tuned on Windows 95.

In my experience, again a 3.5 EcoBoost, the Sport mode mostly holds the gears and feels like it's only adjusting shifting.

Car and Driver got a tenth quicker to 60mph with the automatic on the EcoBoost Mustang even though they log similar complaints which, to me, are all subjective without data. I had similar issues in the beginning, but now it's like a broken-in pair of Ferragamo shoes.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a24847025/2018-ford-mustang-automatic-transmission-performance/

Reactions: RX8

Iron Ox

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've test driven a Lariat FX4 and found no issues. Great get up and go, was not searching for gears either, smooth ride. Didn't bite the bullet because the next gen is supposed to be what ford originally wanted to do with the Ranger so wanted to wait for that. But then the Bronco caught my eye :love:

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We had a Ford Focus that had Auto trans problems and I'll ever buy a Ford with an automatic.

I'm set on a manual and I think it adds to the Bronco's charm. I'm actually surprised it's coming with an MT.
Be careful comparing apples to oranges. The Focus automatic was the industry's first attempt at a low-end dual clutch transmission and it was bad. It has zero in common with the Ford ten speed auto.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They have, here's the taunus engine in a SAAB Sonnet.

Ford Bronco drove a 2020 ranger fx4 lariat today saab-sonett-engine-bay
Looky at that cute little thing ,i thought is was ghe trunk and that was a sewing machine ?just kidding super clean.
Sponsored