Sponsored

drove a 2020 ranger fx4 lariat today

• Thread starter Deleted member 12854
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3

Deleted member 12854

I drove it to get a rough estimate for the amount of interior space on the 4 door bronco. It might not be equal, but close enough. It was comfortable inside.The quality was overall underwhelming. It had black leather with white stitching :(

The other reason for driving the ranger is because it has the same 10 speed auto and 2.3L v4 engine.

At low speeds the transmission gear is too high. It roughly searches for the right gear to be in and the truck was very unpleasant to drive below 55 mph. The engine was responsive and accelerated quickly 55-75 mph. The handling was fine enough. The 10 speed auto is dogshit and definitely would not buy a Ranger lariat fx4 for $42,000.

Hoping ford offers manual transmission with sasquatch and v6. Based on my experience with the 2.3L v4 and 10 speed auto i am reconsidering my decision to buy a bronco.
Sponsored

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I drove it to get a rough estimate for the amount of interior space on the 4 door bronco. It might not be equal, but close enough. It was comfortable inside.The quality was overall underwhelming. It had black leather with white stitching :(

The other reason for driving the ranger is because it has the same 10 speed auto and 2.3L v4 engine.

At low speeds the transmission gear is too high. It roughly searches for the right gear to be in and the truck was very unpleasant to drive below 55 mph. The engine was responsive and accelerated quickly 55-75 mph. The handling was fine enough. The 10 speed auto is dogshit and definitely would not buy a Ranger lariat fx4 for $42,000.

Hoping ford offers manual transmission with sasquatch and v6. Based on my experience with the 2.3L v4 and 10 speed auto i am reconsidering my decision to buy a bronco.
Lol I need to go test drive that 10 speed. I assumed it was good but maybe not. ?

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I didnt think it would be that bad......i honestly would rather take my chances with a china manual tranny
Keep in mind that it is a “learning” transmission and the shift points will adapt to your driving over time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12854

Keep in mind that it is a “learning” transmission and the shift points will adapt to your driving over time.
I dont know how well it is going to "learn" over time. It has a long way to go to be passable and i seriously doubt that 10 speed transmission will learn how to function properly. There is no buyer's remorse returns in California. Once you sign the papers and drive off the lot - you own it

Sponsored

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Lol eloquent. I've driven several 10spd vehicles from Ford and haven't had much complaint. I'll say if the car is not fully up to temp it can be a little rough and can feel like it's hunting for the right gear. With a v8 & exhaust it's a blast. Downshifts sound like barks from an angry puma and the upshifts are smooth.

Wiser Bronco

Raptor
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I certainly understand your concern with the transmission shifts.... Well we bought a 20' Ford Transit AWD for a camper van this year and love the new updated 10 speed transmission!
not sure if it will be the same design but it defiantly gets used to the driver.

Nothing to worry about.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I've commented on nearly all of these Ranger test drive posts....

The 10-speed is designed to be about 2 (or more) gears higher than you need to be. If you want to adequately test drive a Ranger, you need to be in sport mode or use the lock-out function to prevent it from shifting over 6th or 7th gear. The automatic transmission absolutely lets down the 2.3 (and probably the 2.7!). The take rate for manual, I think, is going to be a few % higher for Bronco because the automatic is that bad (plus a lot of guys will buy Bronco's and they do guy things, like not powder their nose while drinking a latte, while on the phone, while driving.... Okay, SOME guys don't)

Having put over 5K miles on a 2019 Ranger (FX4 Lariat, just like you drove), the automatic is a deal breaker for me if I suddenly forgot how to drive a car and had to buy an automatic.

That being said, the engine itself is fantastic and when paired with a manual transmission, the Bronco will be a heck of a vehicle! Also, my GF doesn't notice how much the automatic transmission sucks. But she doesn't know how to drive a stick, or care that the truck downshifts 4 gears on the freeway to pass somebody.

Also, it's been a flawless truck and the ride is exactly what you want if you want to put almost a ton in the bed and tow 7,500 lbs. It's ride is EXACTLY why the Bronco has a 3,500 tow rating. The materials grow on you, but they are specifically chosen to be durable since the Ranger is........... A TRUCK. You aren't shopping for a plush VIP ride. If you think the Bronco is going to come with 100% soft touch materials and coddle you then you've beguiled yourself into making an off-road vehicle something that it isn't.

Go jump in a Jeep and drive it. get a feeling of THAT, then come back and complain about what it did to bother you as well.

Sponsored

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We had a Ford Focus that had Auto trans problems and I'll ever buy a Ford with an automatic.

I'm set on a manual and I think it adds to the Bronco's charm. I'm actually surprised it's coming with an MT.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I love when people test drive a vehicle for 2 minutes and are an expert at how it runs. I have owned the ten speed in two different vehicles and it works great. I remember the tranny searching for gears a few times when I first got them but after 500 miles or so you don't even feel it. I definetly like the 10 speed to the previous one. It really shines towing up hills in high elevations with an Ecoboost, nothing keeps up with it.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That tranny is going to be in for a rude awakening when my wife gets behind the wheel.:p

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I've commented on nearly all of these Ranger test drive posts....

The 10-speed is designed to be about 2 (or more) gears higher than you need to be. If you want to adequately test drive a Ranger, you need to be in sport mode or use the lock-out function to prevent it from shifting over 6th or 7th gear. The automatic transmission absolutely lets down the 2.3 (and probably the 2.7!). The take rate for manual, I think, is going to be a few % higher for Bronco because the automatic is that bad (plus a lot of guys will buy Bronco's and they do guy things, like not powder their nose while drinking a latte, while on the phone, while driving.... Okay, SOME guys don't)

Having put over 5K miles on a 2019 Ranger (FX4 Lariat, just like you drove), the automatic is a deal breaker for me if I suddenly forgot how to drive a car and had to buy an automatic.

That being said, the engine itself is fantastic and when paired with a manual transmission, the Bronco will be a heck of a vehicle! Also, my GF doesn't notice how much the automatic transmission sucks. But she doesn't know how to drive a stick, or care that the truck downshifts 4 gears on the freeway to pass somebody.

Also, it's been a flawless truck and the ride is exactly what you want if you want to put almost a ton in the bed and tow 7,500 lbs. It's ride is EXACTLY why the Bronco has a 3,500 tow rating. The materials grow on you, but they are specifically chosen to be durable since the Ranger is........... A TRUCK. You aren't shopping for a plush VIP ride. If you think the Bronco is going to come with 100% soft touch materials and coddle you then you've beguiled yourself into making an off-road vehicle something that it isn't.

Go jump in a Jeep and drive it. get a feeling of THAT, then come back and complain about what it did to bother you as well.
Or calling their spouse / friends with the long list of things they suddenly had time to talk about once they were finished worrying about getting out the door...

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model