Sponsored

Drove a Badlands 2.3L AT today at my dealer then immediately changed my order…

projectrally

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 RF / Factory Five 818 / 2018 CX-5 GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I reserved my Bronco a year ago today (July 14th): 4dr black diamond, A51, MIC top, Roof rails, 7MT. My plan was to have this as the adventure mobile to compliment my wife’s family car for our family of four.

My dealer got a mannequin in this week. It’s a 4dr Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux, 2.3L 10AT, soft top in Cyber Orange. They let me and my wife take it for a drive. We put probably 20 miles or so on it. Some highway. Some urban. Some suburban. No offroad, unfortunately.

Some random thoughts and initial impressions:
It’s a lot more comfortable than the Wranglers and Gladiators I’ve driven recently. Roomier, wider, and you’re not sitting so close to the dash and the windshield. Highway ride was better than I expected. Soft top makes a lot of wind noise at 75mph. It wasn’t hard to have a conversation at normal volume levels with the front passenger, but I don’t think I’ll be able to hear my daughters talking from the back seat. Maybe that’s a feature not a drawback…

The 12” screen is dumb. When you’re on a trail using multiple cameras, I’m sure it’s excellent to be able to see as much as possible. But on the road in normal driving, it’s too big. The infotainment doesn’t make use of all that space, so what you get is a lot of grey negative space and buttons just spread out to far. Maybe Ford can make better use of all that screen real estate with a firmware update, but for now, there’s basically no benefit to it when the cameras aren’t engaged.

If you’re on the fence about converting to the soft top, there’s a lot to like there. It opens quickly and easily without getting out of the car, there’s little wind noise from it when it’s open, and it’s really not terrible at highway speeds. Loud for sure, but acceptable. The radio at about 40% volume drowned it out completely.

The start stop tech was pretty unobtrusive. Sometimes the systems are so aggro that it’s hard to live with. Ford’s is easy to forget about.

I am a manual transmission enthusiast, and I ordered my Black Diamond with the 7MT. I have been concerned that the 10AT would be poorly matched to the 2.3L, but that was an unnecessary worry. The shift logic feels a lot better than the Ranger I drove. A small turbo engine and a transmission with too many gears tuned for fuel economy often work against an engine that needs to build boost to actually make power. But in this application it did not offend me. It was mostly smooth and would drop down a few gears pretty quickly if I put my foot into it.

Which gets me to the engine. Maybe it would feel peppier with the 7MT, but it’s just…adequate. It’ll be an even match for a Wrangler‘s Pentastar, but nobody will be writing sonnets to this engine combo. If it was the only option Ford offered, it wouldn’t be a big enough demerit to not buy a Bronco at all.

My big takeaway after driving the Bronco today is that this truck is better at being a daily driver than I expected. I guess I was expecting it to be closer to the experience of a Jeep. It’s much better than that. So it had me totally rethink my truck build. This thing can be my adventure mobile AND the family truckster at the same time. But for me, after driving the 2.3L, I’m convinced it needs the bigger engine more than it needs a manual. Though I do wish I could spec both.

So after a drive, my new build: 4dr Black Diamond in A51. Sticking with the MIC top with roof rails. 2.7L, Mid, 4A.

I know that’s what most of you specced from the beginning. You’re all smarter than me. But I got there eventually. It took me longer because I was working with the small engine…
Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Thanks. Nice report.

Chcg12

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
nice report,thanks

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.3L is good. I enjoy It in my Ranger, but I ordered the 2.7 in my Bronco.. I think there is a lesson there. With that said, the 2.3 IS good.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just couldnt live with all the modern crap without a manual. My current Bronco is the newest vehicle I've owned. I am barely okay with dealing with fuel injection so a 10 speed auto is just too much for me. I know that by the time I pay of my 84 month financing 7.3/HD 7spd swaps will be common. Maybe even a carbed manifold for the 7.3 for drag racing classes will be be a thing.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I reserved my Bronco a year ago today (July 14th): 4dr black diamond, A51, MIC top, Roof rails, 7MT. My plan was to have this as the adventure mobile to compliment my wife’s family car for our family of four.

My dealer got a mannequin in this week. It’s a 4dr Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux, 2.3L 10AT, soft top in Cyber Orange. They let me and my wife take it for a drive. We put probably 20 miles or so on it. Some highway. Some urban. Some suburban. No offroad, unfortunately.

Some random thoughts and initial impressions:
It’s a lot more comfortable than the Wranglers and Gladiators I’ve driven recently. Roomier, wider, and you’re not sitting so close to the dash and the windshield. Highway ride was better than I expected. Soft top makes a lot of wind noise at 75mph. It wasn’t hard to have a conversation at normal volume levels with the front passenger, but I don’t think I’ll be able to hear my daughters talking from the back seat. Maybe that’s a feature not a drawback…

The 12” screen is dumb. When you’re on a trail using multiple cameras, I’m sure it’s excellent to be able to see as much as possible. But on the road in normal driving, it’s too big. The infotainment doesn’t make use of all that space, so what you get is a lot of grey negative space and buttons just spread out to far. Maybe Ford can make better use of all that screen real estate with a firmware update, but for now, there’s basically no benefit to it when the cameras aren’t engaged.

If you’re on the fence about converting to the soft top, there’s a lot to like there. It opens quickly and easily without getting out of the car, there’s little wind noise from it when it’s open, and it’s really not terrible at highway speeds. Loud for sure, but acceptable. The radio at about 40% volume drowned it out completely.

The start stop tech was pretty unobtrusive. Sometimes the systems are so aggro that it’s hard to live with. Ford’s is easy to forget about.

I am a manual transmission enthusiast, and I ordered my Black Diamond with the 7MT. I have been concerned that the 10AT would be poorly matched to the 2.3L, but that was an unnecessary worry. The shift logic feels a lot better than the Ranger I drove. A small turbo engine and a transmission with too many gears tuned for fuel economy often work against an engine that needs to build boost to actually make power. But in this application it did not offend me. It was mostly smooth and would drop down a few gears pretty quickly if I put my foot into it.

Which gets me to the engine. Maybe it would feel peppier with the 7MT, but it’s just…adequate. It’ll be an even match for a Wrangler‘s Pentastar, but nobody will be writing sonnets to this engine combo. If it was the only option Ford offered, it wouldn’t be a big enough demerit to not buy a Bronco at all.

My big takeaway after driving the Bronco today is that this truck is better at being a daily driver than I expected. I guess I was expecting it to be closer to the experience of a Jeep. It’s much better than that. So it had me totally rethink my truck build. This thing can be my adventure mobile AND the family truckster at the same time. But for me, after driving the 2.3L, I’m convinced it needs the bigger engine more than it needs a manual. Though I do wish I could spec both.

So after a drive, my new build: 4dr Black Diamond in A51. Sticking with the MIC top with roof rails. 2.7L, Mid, 4A.

I know that’s what most of you specced from the beginning. You’re all smarter than me. But I got there eventually. It took me longer because I was working with the small engine…
There's been a lot of speculation about all these matters. Seeing in person and test driving is a great way to gain clarity for the individual buyer. I'd recommend it before buying a vehicle.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

don't forget your test vehicle with 10AT/2.3L engine is turning significantly bigger tires as you would be turning in the 7MT/2.3
non-squatch

balucipher

Big Bend
First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good review. 2.3/10a is my build and I figured it would struggle a little on 35s.

Sponsored

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My 49 year old Land Rover Series III 2.25 petrol offers 73hp and every time I think about the 2.3 I feel like it will be just fine:)

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol, this is why I ordered a 2dr baseBase and also jumped on the Grangetober special.
There was zero chance of driving one back then.

My 3rd hour reservation will get built this week, I can drive it for awhile and figure out what I like/dislike, then order another if I need to.

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang, 2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Your new build is identical to mine. Thanks for the confidence boost that I made the right decision. I also wanted a manual, but felt I would miss the extra torque from the 2.7. Still waiting to test drive one. My dealership was supposed to be hosing a private reservation holders event to let everyone get up close with their mannequin model and sign up for test drives......however they had to push it back since is has not been delivered yet. The saddest part is that is that my dealership is approximately 15 miles from MAP :(

greybrutus61

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
my guess is Ford knows 2.3 liter engine is on the low end of power when turning 35" wheels . And that is why they originally wouldn't offer that combination. Also I would think that 4 door ads more weight than 2 door. Thanks for posting though because none of us really know until there are more out there!

Pitpup

Black Diamond
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang GT, 2008 Ford Ranger Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm sorry... did you stick with the 7MT or go to the 10A tranny?

Sponsored