Sponsored

Drove a Badlands 2.3L AT today at my dealer then immediately changed my order…

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

my guess is Ford knows 2.3 liter engine is on the low end of power when turning 35" wheels . And that is why they originally wouldn't offer that combination. Also I would think that 4 door ads more weight than 2 door. Thanks for posting though because none of us really know until there are more out there!
2.3 with Sasquatch has been available since day one.
Sponsored

Cactus Jack

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Couldn’t have said it better myself.
The 2.3L is adequate

I drove a 2.3L manual Badlands and was so disappointed. It drove real nice, but was too slow. Also drove a 2.7L Sasquatch and the difference was night and day.

If only Ford had given the manual treatment to the 2.7L. It would be a completely different story. Until then, 2.7 it is for me.

I reserved my Bronco a year ago today (July 14th): 4dr black diamond, A51, MIC top, Roof rails, 7MT. My plan was to have this as the adventure mobile to compliment my wife’s family car for our family of four.

My dealer got a mannequin in this week. It’s a 4dr Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux, 2.3L 10AT, soft top in Cyber Orange. They let me and my wife take it for a drive. We put probably 20 miles or so on it. Some highway. Some urban. Some suburban. No offroad, unfortunately.

Some random thoughts and initial impressions:
It’s a lot more comfortable than the Wranglers and Gladiators I’ve driven recently. Roomier, wider, and you’re not sitting so close to the dash and the windshield. Highway ride was better than I expected. Soft top makes a lot of wind noise at 75mph. It wasn’t hard to have a conversation at normal volume levels with the front passenger, but I don’t think I’ll be able to hear my daughters talking from the back seat. Maybe that’s a feature not a drawback…

The 12” screen is dumb. When you’re on a trail using multiple cameras, I’m sure it’s excellent to be able to see as much as possible. But on the road in normal driving, it’s too big. The infotainment doesn’t make use of all that space, so what you get is a lot of grey negative space and buttons just spread out to far. Maybe Ford can make better use of all that screen real estate with a firmware update, but for now, there’s basically no benefit to it when the cameras aren’t engaged.

If you’re on the fence about converting to the soft top, there’s a lot to like there. It opens quickly and easily without getting out of the car, there’s little wind noise from it when it’s open, and it’s really not terrible at highway speeds. Loud for sure, but acceptable. The radio at about 40% volume drowned it out completely.

The start stop tech was pretty unobtrusive. Sometimes the systems are so aggro that it’s hard to live with. Ford’s is easy to forget about.

I am a manual transmission enthusiast, and I ordered my Black Diamond with the 7MT. I have been concerned that the 10AT would be poorly matched to the 2.3L, but that was an unnecessary worry. The shift logic feels a lot better than the Ranger I drove. A small turbo engine and a transmission with too many gears tuned for fuel economy often work against an engine that needs to build boost to actually make power. But in this application it did not offend me. It was mostly smooth and would drop down a few gears pretty quickly if I put my foot into it.

Which gets me to the engine. Maybe it would feel peppier with the 7MT, but it’s just…adequate. It’ll be an even match for a Wrangler‘s Pentastar, but nobody will be writing sonnets to this engine combo. If it was the only option Ford offered, it wouldn’t be a big enough demerit to not buy a Bronco at all.

My big takeaway after driving the Bronco today is that this truck is better at being a daily driver than I expected. I guess I was expecting it to be closer to the experience of a Jeep. It’s much better than that. So it had me totally rethink my truck build. This thing can be my adventure mobile AND the family truckster at the same time. But for me, after driving the 2.3L, I’m convinced it needs the bigger engine more than it needs a manual. Though I do wish I could spec both.

So after a drive, my new build: 4dr Black Diamond in A51. Sticking with the MIC top with roof rails. 2.7L, Mid, 4A.

I know that’s what most of you specced from the beginning. You’re all smarter than me. But I got there eventually. It took me longer because I was working with the small engine…

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm just hoping to be able to cruise at 75mph with the 2 door BaseManSquatch.
If I find myself downshifting all the time on the tiniest of inclines like I was with my 4 cylinder Wrangler or my 4 cylinder Tacoma (both on 33's), or only able to go about 50 mph with a tailwind in 4th gear like my Samurai on 32's, then I'll drop down to 33" rubber and have the ECU tuned for more power.
But I think it will be fine, considering it has 120 more horsepower for the same weight as my Tacoma, and lower axle ratios.
I'm getting Sasquatch for the lockers and gears more than the big tires and fancy wheels.
FWIW, my 30 year old XJ on 35's will hold 75 mph pretty well with a worn out 4.0,a 5 speed, and 4.10 gears. Unfortunately it is worn all the way out and is beginning to fall apart from body flex after many years of abuse...

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This v8 has too much power.
-said no one, ever.

Thanks for the insights. What i expected on the roof and motor. But good to get confirmation.

I don't know how you could give up the manual trans. I'll never understand you!

Jk. I get it. I'm almost sick of my manual already and my car won't be built for another month.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My 49 year old Land Rover Series III 2.25 petrol offers 73hp and every time I think about the 2.3 I feel like it will be just fine:)
Tell me about it, crawling up some high altitude pass roads in Colorado was a chore with my old Series III 88. I recall the last 1/2 mile taking Old Fall River Road in RMNP to the 12k alpine visitor center, thought I'd have to get out and push, lol.

Also one time I drove up I70 from Denver on the way to Moab, with my 4.2L I6 CJ-7, and a bunch of Series LR guys. Man they were crawling on the way up to Eisenhower tunnel.

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
don't forget your test vehicle with 10AT/2.3L engine is turning significantly bigger tires as you would be turning in the 7MT/2.3
non-squatch
You can slice and dice it anyway you like but not upgrading to the 2.7 to pinch pennies is going to haunt you forever. The gas mileage is the nearly identical. The 2.3 has the inferior injection system (problems coming) and just wait to see about resale. And then there is a thing called drive-ability.
The only rational positive is if you think a manual is needed.

OP
OP
projectrally

projectrally

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 RF / Factory Five 818 / 2018 CX-5 GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

don't forget your test vehicle with 10AT/2.3L engine is turning significantly bigger tires as you would be turning in the 7MT/2.3
non-squatch
Good point. But it also has the shorter final drive. So maybe a wash?

In the light of day, let me attempt to distill my thought process a little better…

The package we all want is the 7MT with the 2.7L. Since Ford isn’t offering it, everyone’s making a compromise. Small engine with the right transmission, or big engine with the wrong gearbox. I was convinced I’d be happier with the small engine and the 7MT with the caveat that this would not be a comfortable enough to be our primary family vehicle. After driving it, I am confident that it can be. But as the family truckster, the balance of that compromise has shifted, and I feel like I’ll have a more satisfying ownership experience in an automatic with more power.

If it was still going to be just a toy/adventure mobile, and not the thing we use as our primary family vehicle, or if your driving doesn’t include much highway/high speed driving, I think the 2.3L would be a fine choice.

Also, I have other cars with manual transmissions to scratch that itch...

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've known personally, that the 2.3 is too small for a 4 door, especially one that has Sasquatch so I never would even consider it...but that is just me.

What I find interesting is that Jeep's answer to Sasquatch is not offered on their 4 cylinder, yet that is the Engine they have been really pushing Wranglers to. Makes me wonder why not?

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I too think these screens are getting out of hand. I say that, having ordered the 12” screen. LOL. But it was only because it came with the other features my wife wanted.

our dealer just got a bronco in for test drives. We are going to go check it out soon. Looking forward to it.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I suppose bigger is better for some, to each his own. I don't need bigger tires, I don't need the bigger engine but I DO NEED the 7MT. I'm moving up from a '89 2.5 TD LR Defender P/U pushing 89hp/130lbft of torque...I highly doubt I will be disappointed.

Sponsored

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's funny how many LR guys are in on this Bronco thing. I have a TD5 pushing out a whopping 122 hp and there are mountain roads that I still can't make the shift from second to third. Big tires are an issue, but gearing is the answer.

The 7 speed might help the 2.3 cope. -even if it's really a six speed.

And for the people still thinking that Ford is going to bring the 7MT with the 2.7, I'm not so sure. When I look at the torque numbers for that combo, it seems like it would be pushing right to the limit of that tranny. That totally is what we want, but I wonder if it will have to be a different tranny.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I reserved my Bronco a year ago today (July 14th): 4dr black diamond, A51, MIC top, Roof rails, 7MT. My plan was to have this as the adventure mobile to compliment my wife’s family car for our family of four.

My dealer got a mannequin in this week. It’s a 4dr Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux, 2.3L 10AT, soft top in Cyber Orange. They let me and my wife take it for a drive. We put probably 20 miles or so on it. Some highway. Some urban. Some suburban. No offroad, unfortunately.

Some random thoughts and initial impressions:
It’s a lot more comfortable than the Wranglers and Gladiators I’ve driven recently. Roomier, wider, and you’re not sitting so close to the dash and the windshield. Highway ride was better than I expected. Soft top makes a lot of wind noise at 75mph. It wasn’t hard to have a conversation at normal volume levels with the front passenger, but I don’t think I’ll be able to hear my daughters talking from the back seat. Maybe that’s a feature not a drawback…

The 12” screen is dumb. When you’re on a trail using multiple cameras, I’m sure it’s excellent to be able to see as much as possible. But on the road in normal driving, it’s too big. The infotainment doesn’t make use of all that space, so what you get is a lot of grey negative space and buttons just spread out to far. Maybe Ford can make better use of all that screen real estate with a firmware update, but for now, there’s basically no benefit to it when the cameras aren’t engaged.

If you’re on the fence about converting to the soft top, there’s a lot to like there. It opens quickly and easily without getting out of the car, there’s little wind noise from it when it’s open, and it’s really not terrible at highway speeds. Loud for sure, but acceptable. The radio at about 40% volume drowned it out completely.

The start stop tech was pretty unobtrusive. Sometimes the systems are so aggro that it’s hard to live with. Ford’s is easy to forget about.

I am a manual transmission enthusiast, and I ordered my Black Diamond with the 7MT. I have been concerned that the 10AT would be poorly matched to the 2.3L, but that was an unnecessary worry. The shift logic feels a lot better than the Ranger I drove. A small turbo engine and a transmission with too many gears tuned for fuel economy often work against an engine that needs to build boost to actually make power. But in this application it did not offend me. It was mostly smooth and would drop down a few gears pretty quickly if I put my foot into it.

Which gets me to the engine. Maybe it would feel peppier with the 7MT, but it’s just…adequate. It’ll be an even match for a Wrangler‘s Pentastar, but nobody will be writing sonnets to this engine combo. If it was the only option Ford offered, it wouldn’t be a big enough demerit to not buy a Bronco at all.

My big takeaway after driving the Bronco today is that this truck is better at being a daily driver than I expected. I guess I was expecting it to be closer to the experience of a Jeep. It’s much better than that. So it had me totally rethink my truck build. This thing can be my adventure mobile AND the family truckster at the same time. But for me, after driving the 2.3L, I’m convinced it needs the bigger engine more than it needs a manual. Though I do wish I could spec both.

So after a drive, my new build: 4dr Black Diamond in A51. Sticking with the MIC top with roof rails. 2.7L, Mid, 4A.

I know that’s what most of you specced from the beginning. You’re all smarter than me. But I got there eventually. It took me longer because I was working with the small engine…
What are your thoughts on tires? Sticking with the stock tires or you got something else in mind? The Badlands has different suspension and the 33s do you think you will be happy with the smaller tires of the BD, the lower ride height and the lesser suspension?

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The title of the thread is a little misleading... the cause "the 2.3L is adequate" doesn't quite match the "I immediately changed my order" part. 😆

That aside, I appreciate other people's opinions. I do not agree with those that say the 2.3L will haunt us though.

I have survived 10yrs in a lower horsepower 5spd Tacoma with 33s and stock gearing... pulling trailers and even full sized trucks out of ditches. The only downfall was a lack of power at highway speeds in highway gears. But downshifting fixes that.

The 2.3L is more powerful than that, geared properly already, and has plenty of room to tune. I am happy even without a test drive.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good write up and thanks for sharing. I like the 2.3 and drove a 2.4 BB SQ auto. It was not fast, but was certainly competitive with the base offering in the Jeep and would be completely fine for me is a daily driver. I struggled deciding on the 2.7, primarily because I thought the off road ride and overall off road performance would be better with less weight. I have heard other reviews that confirm the 2.3 does have different handling and ride off road as well. That being said, I went 2.7. It’s still not “fast” (waiting to get past 1k miles) but last night passing several cars on a rural 2 lane highway, I was glad I had it. As far as the screen, I had no plans to get it, but once I saw the cameras it was a must have for me. Now that I have lived with it, it’s awesome. Great response, easy to use, split screen for multiple apps (car play and Nav can be up at the same time for instance). I definitely do not regret the upgrade there. Going back to the 8” screen in my wife’s Explorer is a noticeable downgrade. Just my take. Hopefully everyone has one in their garage to evaluate soon!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, TD5 Defender
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's funny how many LR guys are in on this Bronco thing. I have a TD5 pushing out a whopping 122 hp and there are mountain roads that I still can't make the shift from second to third. Big tires are an issue, but gearing is the answer.

The 7 speed might help the 2.3 cope. -even if it's really a six speed.

And for the people still thinking that Ford is going to bring the 7MT with the 2.7, I'm not so sure. When I look at the torque numbers for that combo, it seems like it would be pushing right to the limit of that tranny. That totally is what we want, but I wonder if it will have to be a different tranny.
I have a TD5 too!
Your problem with hills are solvable In two phone calls/website visits.. Ashcroft for regearing, and Allisport for a turbo, intercooler, and a remap and oh, their exhaust looks nice doesn’t it…and what’s this, an aluminum power steering reservoir that won’t leak..😬

Saw a bronco review which asserted the 4cyl bronco is “slow”… I think not.
manual and 2.3 should be good fun.

even without torque limitations, I don’t think they’d do 2.7 + manual. The take rate would be so minuscule, no way it would make business sense.
Sponsored