First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't know of any new car auto or manual without auto start stop. I think it's basically manditory now
not mandatory at all. But the mfg gets like 1/100th of a mpg credit. Auto manufacturers have allowed themselves to be led around by the government like an 8-week old puppy. Will bite them in the ass for sure
Sponsored

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't know of any new car auto or manual without auto start stop. I think it's basically manditory now
I have a 2017 and a 2019 and neither do.

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Auto start stop has to be one of the dumbest things to complain about. Barely noticeable and easily turned off.
I'm sure the starter is heavy duty to accommodate the expodential number of uses compared to one without it, but I bought an aftermarket adapter that wires into the manual overide defaults now to ESS off. When ignition is turned off factory setting brings the ESS back on so this device bypasses that. The device plugs in behind the factory Override switch that gets reinserted in the dash. ESS is then always off. It's personal preference, but for 99$ was worth it to me. Added bonus, ESS equipped 150s get a AGM deep cycle battery to cope with accessory draw so that's a plus.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm sure the starter is heavy duty to accommodate the expodential number of uses compared to one without it, but I bought an aftermarket adapter that wires into the manual overide defaults now to ESS off. When ignition is turned off factory setting brings the ESS back on so this device bypasses that. The device plugs in behind the factory Override switch that gets reinserted in the dash. ESS is then always off. It's personal preference, but for 99$ was worth it to me. Added bonus, ESS equipped 150s get a AGM deep cycle battery to cope with accessory draw so that's a plus.
A few months ago I did a pretty thorough search through a few 2015+ F-150 forums and not a single person has reported having to replace a starter in an ASS equipped vehicle.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A few months ago I did a pretty thorough search through a few 2015+ F-150 forums and not a single person has reported having to replace a starter in an ASS equipped vehicle.
ESS starters are good for hundreds of thousands of cycles

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well, for anyone worried that Fords is gonna be trash, it isn't. My RS and my '19 F150 work truck both have it and both are disabled in about 0.2 of a second via a big button. In a manual RS it restarts the moment you start to press the clutch and in the F150 it restarts as soon as you take your foot off the brake OR apply pressure to the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I test drove the 4 door Ranger recently and out of all the mid size trucks by Toyota, Chevy, Jeep, and Nissan, it was by far the most fun, responsive and quickest to drive. If the Bronco is anything like it, I’d be stoked. The 2.7 will just be that much sweeter. And Ford is offering Ford Performance packages for the Ranger that look pretty amazing. The Bronco will surely get that treatment in the future.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The A10 is bad ass I have one, yes there were earlier year issues, but new ones are great and the updated adaptive learning is find IMO.
Doug, the wife's '18 Mustang GT was one of those. The service writer kept saying "give it some more miles, it's learning." I finally took it in, and told this 10spd must be stupid, 'cause it ain't learned a damn thing. :) They reflashed it, or updated it, or maybe both IDK for sure. But, the car is now a joy to drive (especially in "sport" mode). I still think it has too many gears, and the six speed was just as good. But, what do I know? :)

Last edited:

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
To turn off the auto-shut-off feature on Ranger (without having to hit the kill button every.single.time.you.start.the.car) you need to buy a Fordscan dongle, download the ROM, identify which code set it to active and change that code, then reboot the ECU.

It took my very tech-savvy GF about 2.5 hours and $200 in parts to disconnect the "feature". We did 5k miles before shutting it off and 5K afterward just to see how many total gallons of gas or MPG improvement were had in the 5K miles with it on. It was between 1/8th and 1/16th of a tank of gas over the 5K, we had no discernible MPG improvement.

The feature is only there for tailpipe emissions while stopped to benefit the CAFE of Ford.

Ultimately, if the government were to bid out to create a standardized learning AI to control light timing in every major city to maximize traffic flow and reduce red-light idle waste we, as a nation, could achieve exponentially more fuel savings and lower greenhouse gas emissions than start/stop automotive "technology"..... Buuuuuuuuuut I digress. That would be proactive and thinking towards the betterment of society as a whole. Lets just slap BS tech on cars.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Doug, the wife's '18 Mustang GT was one of those. The service writer kept saying "give it some more miles, it's learning." I finally took it in, and told this 10spd must be stupid, 'cause it ain't learned a damn thing. :) They reflashed it, or updated it, or maybe both IDK for sure. But, the car is now a joy to drive (especially in "sport" mode). I still think it has too many gears, and the six speed was just as good. But, what do I know? :)
I have a 17 GTPP 6 spd toy, I bought the 10spd for towing heavy but dont need that much now so downsizing my 4x4 and enjoy it more off road, the F150 is just too big for smalish trails :)

23L_Guy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Everyone who says the transmission needs to learn...please stop. You don't know what you are talking about. It learns in a sense how to shift smoother due to variations in manufacturing, tolerance stackup, etc. So maybe one transmission needs 1psi more to reach clutch stroke pressure than another. All these adaptives do is make it shift better/smoother. It does not learn your habits or change the shift schedule. Changing the shift schedule over time would be a defeat device and you get in trouble with the regulatory bodies by doing that.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, even more reason to stop spouting that it needs to learn.

The reality is that when you aren't accelerating the transmission won't be in a higher gear than necessary for fuel economy and/or emissions. Sorry people, upshifts and downshifts are going to happen, that's just the way it is. All we can hope for is that it does it smoothly and quickly.
Sponsored