Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Everyone who says the transmission needs to learn...please stop. You don't know what you are talking about.

The reality is that when you aren't accelerating the transmission won't be in a higher gear than necessary for fuel economy and/or emissions. Sorry people, upshifts and downshifts are going to happen, that's just the way it is. All we can hope for is that it does it smoothly and quickly.
Stepping away from the "learning transmission" topic. (BTW: I agree with you on that and have stated as such earlier in this thread)

You brought up something here that seems not entirely accurate. You can observe the transmisison's gearing selection and shifting in real-time while driving it.

Full-auto on 2H: There is no reason for that transmission to be in 7th (or higher) when merging at 60mph. By the time you actually get to the merge point and you're at about 45 mph you'll have to apply full throttle and watch it downshift 2-4 gears until the TPS matches whatever gearing they've programmed into the transmission.

"sport mode" (so you can use the +/- manual gear selection): you can do the same merge easily up to 60 mph with nearly identical throttle as the full-auto, in 5th.

You can observe the truck rolling at 40 mph in 10th gear. You can observe the truck hunting through gears at every incline/descent.

Sorry to say it, but unless Bronco is somehow not made with CAFE requirements in mind, the 10-speed in it will be acting the same as in Ranger....

On the very last topic: I think others sharing their theories raise important questions worthy of closer examination and spirited debate. And so they have. To my mind, that’s a good thing, not a bad thing. Commentators who believe that others should be silenced or exclude opinions different than "mainstream" undervalue their own contribution. Even if it's to not buy Bronco because the2-door rear seat hinges are large.
Sponsored

Ruffnuts

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat, 2007 mustang gt, 82 f100
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I own a 19 ranger lariat 4 door for just over a yr now.
I can attest to the fact that the transmission is a learning trans and gets better the more you drive it. Mine is stock ceramic coated with a leveling kit (hate the nose down stance) I'm trading it in on a 2dr Broncos (obx or badlands) options dependent. The rangers to damn pretty to go off roaring and with no fender flares it will get scratched up easily.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As somebody who has a few thousand miles on a 2019 Ranger starting from 8 miles on the odometer (currently at over 13K in the shared truck), i'll just say that whatever "learning" it's doing, is for fuel economy maximization and not your enjoyment.

The way it gets "better" as you drive it is to leave it in sport with manual shift control. Otherwise, just imagine whatever gear you should be in at a given moment. Then add 2 to 4. THAT is what gear the Ranger will be in.

The 2.3 should be an absolute blast to drive when paired with a manual transmission (which as you probably guessed, is the way i'll order mine), if the only transmission option was the 10 speed auto, I would have had my fill of that boredom with Ranger and looked elsewhere for my next vehicle.

Full disclosure: The GF loves her Ranger and has no complaints about it's transmission at all, so it will probably be fine for most people.

I went into further detail about the shortcomings of the Ranger automatic transmission In this thread
What happens to the 10sp if you spin the tires at every takeoff for the first 6000 miles? :ROFLMAO:

Hyperforming

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To turn off the auto-shut-off feature on Ranger (without having to hit the kill button every.single.time.you.start.the.car) you need to buy a Fordscan dongle, download the ROM, identify which code set it to active and change that code, then reboot the ECU.

It took my very tech-savvy GF about 2.5 hours and $200 in parts to disconnect the "feature". We did 5k miles before shutting it off and 5K afterward just to see how many total gallons of gas or MPG improvement were had in the 5K miles with it on. It was between 1/8th and 1/16th of a tank of gas over the 5K, we had no discernible MPG improvement.

The feature is only there for tailpipe emissions while stopped to benefit the CAFE of Ford.

Ultimately, if the government were to bid out to create a standardized learning AI to control light timing in every major city to maximize traffic flow and reduce red-light idle waste we, as a nation, could achieve exponentially more fuel savings and lower greenhouse gas emissions than start/stop automotive "technology"..... Buuuuuuuuuut I digress. That would be proactive and thinking towards the betterment of society as a whole. Lets just slap BS tech on cars.
Right?! It’s 2020 and we got Elon Musk sending people to space but I still gotta sit at a red light for 5 minutes at 5:00 in the morning with no traffic in sight. For the money they wasted on red light cameras (which thankfully have been taken down here) they could have come up with a system like you mentioned.

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I still gotta sit at a red light for 5 minutes at 5:00 in the morning with no traffic in sight
bitch bitch bitch....when I was a kid we couldn't even turn right on red after stopping :)

OP
OP
TNcoupe

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right?! It’s 2020 and we got Elon Musk sending people to space but I still gotta sit at a red light for 5 minutes at 5:00 in the morning with no traffic in sight. For the money they wasted on red light cameras (which thankfully have been taken down here) they could have come up with a system like you mentioned.
Red lights are the biggest waste of energy on the planet but what would you do to replace them?

Hyperforming

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Statistically statistics can be easily skewed. As a firefighter I go by mine and my coworkers experience and that says that they increased accidents in general. The fact that they were owned and operated by out of state private companies with only a small portion even staying in the city tells me that they, like many things, were designed not to increase safety but to make money. There are plenty of cheaper and easier alternatives like timing all the yellow lights the same (they shortened most of them at the cameras),installing a visible countdown timer, or even something as basic as a point of no return line painted on the road spaced according to the time of the yellow light so you know if you’ve got time to get through or stop.

Sponsored

broncobobby

Outer Banks
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Jeep CJ7, 74 F100, 14 Explorer, 18 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The 10 speed is a learning transmission, it gets better the more you drive it.
Yeah, my F150 Coyote 5.0 gives my 10 speed a new learning everyday.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We have a few roundabouts here, and people are idiots and can't figure them out. They completely stop despite the giant YIELD sign there.
Sponsored