Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Mustang,'08 Honda Civic,'03 15hh QH Paint mare
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I neglected to turn 4H back to 2H after leaving the ranch last week. (I thought it automatically went back after the engine shut off.) So I drove around 40-50 miles, some freeway, before I discovered it. Did I hurt anything? Do I need to take it in to the shop?
Sponsored

JoshuaPrieto

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2022 Explorer, 2022 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I neglected to turn 4H back to 2H after leaving the ranch last week. (I thought it automatically went back after the engine shut off.) So I drove around 40-50 miles, some freeway, before I discovered it. Did I hurt anything? Do I need to take it in to the shop?
no you are perfectly fine. I would avoid doing it frequently, but these aren't like how they used to be - where they'd get worn out prematurely.

That system can theoretically go 70mph on 4h, do I recommend it? No... lol

OP
OP
RideEmCowboy

RideEmCowboy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

no you are perfectly fine. I would avoid doing it frequently, but these aren't like how they used to be - where they'd get worn out prematurely.

That system can theoretically go 70mph on 4h, do I recommend it? No... lol
Thanks, Joshua. I probably did go over 70 for some of that, but it will never happen again, now that I know it holds that setting. I apologized profusely to Steamboat and gave him an extra special ceramic dry wash, window gloss, and tire dressing.

JoshuaPrieto

Big Bend
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2022 Explorer, 2022 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Quick add-on, owners have reported a burning smell from doing 4wd at higher speeds with wheel spacers. This is because the increased friction from power going to the fronts... once again - will it hurt anything if you do it for a day of driving, no? Will it hurt if you do it everyday for a year? Probably, it would prematurely wear faster than someone who doesn't do that.

OP
OP
RideEmCowboy

RideEmCowboy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Quick add-on, owners have reported a burning smell from doing 4wd at higher speeds with wheel spacers. This is because the increased friction from power going to the fronts... once again - will it hurt anything if you do it for a day of driving, no? Will it hurt if you do it everyday for a year? Probably, it would prematurely wear faster than someone who doesn't do that.
I -did- smell something. I thought it was brakes, but then it went away. My commute to the ranch is 8 miles--2 in town, 5 on fwy, 1 on dirt road. Did that twice, plus some errands, before I discovered the error of my ways. No wheel spacers AFAIK

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No sharp turning no frightening noises, you're good
I've done it myself in a few vehicles without catastrophe. Crow hopping into a parking spot is usually my first clue. :D

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I never put my 4wd vehicles into 4h unless I need it. Just because you are on the dirt, it does not mean you need to be in 4wd.

OP
OP
RideEmCowboy

RideEmCowboy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I never put my 4wd vehicles into 4h unless I need it. Just because you are on the dirt, it does not mean you need to be in 4wd.
Thanks. I was aware I didn't need it, just wanted to try it. I had done it before, just to feel a little off-roady, but remembered to switch back to 2H when I got to the main road.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I once towed a 10,000# travel trailer 300 miles on the freeway with my 2006 GM in 4H. I put the truck in 4H to get the trailer moving out of the dirt area where it was stored and forgot to put the truck back in 2H after the 10 feet of loose dirt. I swore I’d never do that again but a few months ago I towed my 6,500# boat & trailer home 45 miles with the newer 2016 truck in 4H. I needed 4H to pull the boat out of the water due to slick algae growing at the bottom of the ramp then forgot to put the truck back in 2H after we stopped at the top of the ramp. Another dumb ass move and I didn’t realize I was in 4H until I made the sharp turn into the driveway. No damage was done this last time either, as far as I know.

So, I think you’ll be fine.
Sponsored