First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x1, c30
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I am going to use the Blue Sea System combo breaker & switch instead or switch + fuse. I did this on my trailer and it has worked well. I asked Blue Sea about it when I did it and they were like yes, that's what the product is for.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/7140/187-Series_Circuit_Breaker_-_Surface_Mount_60A
Speaking of using something other than the "big red disconnect" switch from Blue Sea; i was thinking about using something like this. Would still need a separate fuse but would let me turn the feed from the vehicle battery on/off with one of the built-in aux switches.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/77...Switch_with_Manual_Control_Auto-Release_-_12V

I asked AAL about making a mounting bracket for it, similar to the one pictured above. They said it's on their roadmap but no ETA.

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Speaking of using something other than the "big red disconnect" switch from Blue Sea; i was thinking about using something like this. Would still need a separate fuse but would let me turn the feed from the vehicle battery on/off with one of the built-in aux switches.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/77...Switch_with_Manual_Control_Auto-Release_-_12V

I asked AAL about making a mounting bracket for it, similar to the one pictured above. They said it's on their roadmap but no ETA.
I have that switch in my trailer connected to Blue Sea M2 monitor and it can disconnect the load based on a number of criteria (voltage, SOC, current draw, etc.) I think its an overkill for my trailer and Blue Sea M2 does not do SOC for LiFePo4. I think I want to pull it out of the trailer and use it for a winch disconnect connected to an upfitter switch on the Bronco. I'm putting the Victron smart shunt in the Bronco, its definitely the way to go IMO vs a display and wiring for SOC monitoring.

jandro

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x1, c30
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have that switch in my trailer connected to Blue Sea M2 monitor and it can disconnect the load based on a number of criteria (voltage, SOC, current draw, etc.) I think its an overkill for my trailer and Blue Sea M2 does not do SOC for LiFePo4. I think I want to pull it out of the trailer and use it for a winch disconnect connected to an upfitter switch on the Bronco. I'm putting the Victron smart shunt in the Bronco, its definitely the way to go IMO vs a display and wiring for SOC monitoring.
I'm leaning towards the Victron smart shunt as well. I'd love to put in a RedArc manager30 instead of the BCDC to get SOC monitoring and the ability to charge from AC if at a powered campsite, but the price jump may kill that idea.

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm leaning towards the Victron smart shunt as well. I'd love to put in a RedArc manager30 instead of the BCDC to get SOC monitoring and the ability to charge from AC if at a powered campsite, but the price jump may kill that idea.
I looked at the manager 30, for me its more about space as well, its a big unit and I have no idea where I would put it. I saw a video from SEMA that they were working on something smaller. Fitting the 4 batteries, wiring, smart shunt, wiring and other connections in that space takes work.

I have an off road trailer so if I'm going to be sitting for a few days I bring that, I'm setting the Bronco up for short and tuff trips I can't or don't want to bring the trailer on. Im going to run lights, DC electric blanket and the like of the 2nd battery system. For those trips I will be driving for 2 hr. a day or more so AC mains charging isn't a priority for me.

Ford Bronco Dual Battery Setups vs Portable Power supply 1671650097042

Sponsored

jandro

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x1, c30
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I looked at the manager 30, for me its more about space as well, its a big unit and I have no idea where I would put it. I saw a video from SEMA that they were working on something smaller. Fitting the 4 batteries, wiring, smart shunt, wiring and other connections in that space takes work.

I have an off road trailer so if I'm going to be sitting for a few days I bring that, I'm setting the Bronco up for short and tuff trips I can't or don't want to bring the trailer on. Im going to run lights, DC electric blanket and the like of the 2nd battery system. For those trips I will be driving for 2 hr. a day or more so AC mains charging isn't a priority for me.

Ford Bronco Dual Battery Setups vs Portable Power supply 1671650097042
A smaller version of the manager would be nice. I’m putting in a 60% seat delete (plans have changed since earlier in this thread :)), so there’s be room for the manager30 there if I coughed up the cash to go that route. No way would that thing fit under the floor in the cargo area.

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No problems to report with the system for the last 3 plus months- all good still- since AAL installed the system...trying to plan next for a solar add on - maybe this time next year I will be ready for that $ucker punch. AAL has it ready to add on easily- when I am ready to expense it.
Anyone else notice their Bronco is way too fun & easy to throw $$ at!?

BroncoInTheATL

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No problems to report with the system for the last 3 plus months- all good still- since AAL installed the system...trying to plan next for a solar add on - maybe this time next year I will be ready for that $ucker punch. AAL has it ready to add on easily- when I am ready to expense it.
Anyone else notice their Bronco is way too fun & easy to throw $$ at!?
I’m working on this install now. What AWG gauge was used to connect the batteries in parallel and how were the wires joined? In the photos, it‘s clear that there is not a wire directly from the positive terminal on battery 2 to both batteries 1 & 3. They’re coming together out of view of the camera. I’m struggling with a good solution to join 8 AWG wire on these small terminals.

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m working on this install now. What AWG gauge was used to connect the batteries in parallel and how were the wires joined? In the photos, it‘s clear that there is not a wire directly from the positive terminal on battery 2 to both batteries 1 & 3. They’re coming together out of view of the camera. I’m struggling with a good solution to join 8 AWG wire on these small terminals.
I ran 10 AWG with an inline fuse and crimped all 4 into a single lug. Not textbook but after I crimped it I held the lug in a vise and tried to pull each wire out and couldn't. Make sure each wire run is the same length or it will favor the batteries with the shorter lengths.

BroncoInTheATL

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ran 10 AWG with an inline fuse and crimped all 4 into a single lug. Not textbook but after I crimped it I held the lug in a vise and tried to pull each wire out and couldn't. Make sure each wire run is the same length or it will favor the batteries with the shorter lengths.
Thanks @robepa. Good advice on the wire length. I’m also going to look for a busbar kit at the hardware store tomorrow. Hopefully, that will do the trick.

Sponsored

BroncoInTheATL

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is where I ended up. I ran 4 AWG wire from the Blue Sea cut-off switch in the engine bay to the REDARC charger under the cargo floor. Then used 8 AWG wire to run four Dakota Lithium batteries in parallel using a bus bar. Ran that behind the driver’s side panel to the Dometic hardwiring kit, which I mounted on the pop-out panel that covers the bolts that secure the soft top. The panel is sticking out in this photo, as the bolt holding the kit is too long and hits the molding behind it. With a shorter bolt, it should clip back in completely. I plan to add a voltmeter to that same spot. Everything was doable with a buddy over two Sunday afternoons, multiple Amazon deliveries, and several visits to both Home Depot and Ace. The wire does create a bit of a bump in the floor, but it’s not bad. Would love to swap out the floor for a Goose Gear with a fridge slide at some point. Thanks to American Adventure Labs for the solution.

Ford Bronco Dual Battery Setups vs Portable Power supply 52EC9C36-7AB1-49FC-9B9D-5A0E70F76215
Ford Bronco Dual Battery Setups vs Portable Power supply 32EB64EB-6A63-40F5-8A57-833B36112DF6
Ford Bronco Dual Battery Setups vs Portable Power supply B5D0346F-BFF9-4CBF-B7C5-5B09C23DB311
Ford Bronco Dual Battery Setups vs Portable Power supply 1899A49B-2772-4ABD-B5D8-3E275D57D568

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great! I am finishing mine up, I still need to mount the panel for the SP-9100 and I am going to rewire the cig lighter outlet to the battery system.

01tundra

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Toyota Tacoma / 2021 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm looking at a DYI build myself since I have a spare Victron Orion-TR Smart 12/12-18 DC-DC charger laying around.

One thing that I'm concerned with is those DC-DC chargers get very hot, I'd be hesitant to put them anywhere where there wasn't good airflow. They will also derate if they get too hot.

This is the system I've built for our travel trailer, which includes a Victron Orion 12/12-30 DC-DC charger. I was concerned about the heat even in this large space.

Also, if you're wanting to monitor the state of charge on LiFePO4 batteries you really need to invest in a good shunt. The voltage to SOC curve on these batteries is so flat there's no accurate way to determine SOC with a simple volt meter, not to mention that you have to let the battery sit at rest for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to even get an accurate voltage. I'd recommend a Victron SmartShunt for an application like this, that way you can monitor the battery SOC via your phone app. You can also use the BMV to control a relay to keep your batteries from charging if below the minimum temperature in the event that your batteries do not have a BMS that includes low temperature shutoff, since charging below the recommended temps can wreck LiFePO4's.

Ford Bronco Dual Battery Setups vs Portable Power supply Ik8dWPR

Last edited:

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm looking at a DYI build myself since I have a spare Victron Orion-TR Smart 12/12-18 DC-DC charger laying around.

One thing that I'm concerned with is those DC-DC chargers get very hot, I'd be hesitant to put them anywhere where there wasn't good airflow. They will also derate if they get too hot.

This is the system I've built for our travel trailer, which includes a Victron Orion 12/12-30 DC-DC charger. I was concerned about the heat even in this large space.

Also, if you're wanting to monitor the state of charge on LiFePO4 batteries you really need to invest in a good shunt. The voltage to SOC curve on these batteries is so flat there's no accurate way to determine SOC with a simple volt meter, not to mention that you have to let the battery sit at rest for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to even get an accurate voltage. I'd recommend a Victron BMV-712 Smart for an application like this, that way you can monitor the battery SOC via your phone app. You can also use the BMV to control a relay to keep your batteries from charging if below the minimum temperature in the event that your batteries do not have a BMS that includes low temperature shutoff, since charging below the recommended temps can wreck LiFePO4's.

Ford Bronco Dual Battery Setups vs Portable Power supply Ik8dWPR
Love this. Refurbing a 2018 Sportsmen FX180TH (and lightening it for the Bronco) this season and looking at doing this. Do you have more pictures or a build thread somewhere?

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I assume the advantage of this system is both economical (cheaper batteries), and functional (redarc can optimize in/out in many ways). If instead you simply wired up a GoalZero or similar battery, you'd end up managing all of that connectivity individually.
Sponsored