SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, to make sure we’re talking about the same grommet, look at this video. This is where I learned about this path.
Ahh I’m assuming you have a 10s auto transmission then — that grommet he pulls out is a blank on 10s auto trucks because it’s used on 7MT configs for the primary clutch cylinder to pass through the firewall to get to the clutch pedal. Here’s a photo from my 7MT badlands showing the same grommet, and the larger rubber grommet that’s next to it that I’ve been carefully punching holes through for accessories:

Ford Bronco Dual Battery Setups vs Portable Power supply 5C4E456E-361C-47B0-88F4-BFFF0A9CBED4

Ford Bronco Dual Battery Setups vs Portable Power supply CA83E00F-416B-47A8-A0DE-CCAD5AF29250

I could definitely work a 4AWG wire through that large grommet, but the next route for the wire is the one I’m most curious about. I took a long time trying to cleanly snake my ARB hard wires from that grommet into the trim panel that goes from the driver’s left knee area down to the foot sill of the doorframe. If you have a really clean route for super thick 4AWG from grommet to doorframe that would be super helpful to see.
Sponsored

BroncoInTheATL

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ahh I’m assuming you have a 10s auto transmission then — that grommet he pulls out is a blank on 10s auto trucks because it’s used on 7MT configs for the primary clutch cylinder to pass through the firewall to get to the clutch pedal. Here’s a photo from my 7MT badlands showing the same grommet, and the larger rubber grommet that’s next to it that I’ve been carefully punching holes through for accessories:

5C4E456E-361C-47B0-88F4-BFFF0A9CBED4.jpeg

CA83E00F-416B-47A8-A0DE-CCAD5AF29250.jpeg
That’s exactly right. I do have the AT. I’ll still take some pics of the door frame tomorrow.

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm going to be running a two battery setup using the AAL stuff, just got the batteries and mounts, where are you guys getting the F2 spades for the batteries that can accept 8AWG, ill assume just cutting some of the strands off the conductor? I can only seem to find ones that accept 10-12AWG. Seems like more then 10AWG is overkill for the short run from battery to bus bar in the cubby, the F2 is only sized to 10AWG.

Last edited:

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m not trying to run a fridge (just a game caller), so I probably don’t need a lot of batteries. I do like the idea of mounting in the rear tray. I also have concerns regarding charging the battery in the cold. I don’t live in the cold, but it’s cold when and where I plan on using it (I installed lead acid on my cargo trailer conversion because of this). I just have a hard time believing that the rear tray is going to be any warmer than outside ambient. Probably best to just run a portable battery and call it a day, but these installs tickle my ocd in a good way.

Sponsored

BroncoInTheATL

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to be running a two battery setup using the AAL stuff, just got the batteries and mounts, where are you guys getting the F2 spades for the batteries that can accept 8AWG, ill assume just cutting some of the strands off the conductor? I can only seem to find ones that accept 10-12AWG. Seems like more then 10AWG is overkill for the short run from battery to bus bar in the cubby, the F2 is only sized to 10AWG.
This is what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Insulated-Di...ur_browse-bin:18945766011&s=industrial&sr=1-1

ElDuderino

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this something I'd be able to do on my own? I'm pretty inept when it comes to electrical, but I'm mechanically inclined and I'm good at following YouTube videos lol.

I like the AAL setup in the rear storage area.

I'm interested in being able to run my fridge in the back + charge camera batteries, drones, lights, ect. without having to worry about my main battery dying. Is an aux battery setup right for me? Or should I just go with a portable power station?

BroncoInTheATL

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this something I'd be able to do on my own? I'm pretty inept when it comes to electrical, but I'm mechanically inclined and I'm good at following YouTube videos lol.

I like the AAL setup in the rear storage area.

I'm interested in being able to run my fridge in the back + charge camera batteries, drones, lights, ect. without having to worry about my main battery dying. Is an aux battery setup right for me? Or should I just go with a portable power station?
I have a Goal Zero, which I‘ve used for the purposes you described. It got me through an 8-day overlanding trip in Colorado last year and several overnights here in the Southeast. One problem was that the 12V plugs (either the Goal Zero into the truck or the fridge into the Goal Zero) would pop out on the trail and I’d get to camp and find the fridge had lost temp. Another is that the Bronco’s 12V only runs for a short time after you turn the truck off. There are a number of good portable power solutions and you could try one of them before investing the time and effort for this setup. Like you, I don’t have much electrical experience but between YouTube, a phone call with AAL, and a friend, I was able to do it over the course of about 8 hours.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is a pic of the wire entering the cabin and passing through the doorframe. Hope this helps.

B8D35A4F-1392-4468-8FE7-F8AF9336C540.jpeg

C34643E9-B47F-47A0-BF7D-252B212831E7.jpeg
This looks clean! Nice work!

Did you route both the negative and positive wires in that sleeve? Or are you only running positive to the trunk, and grounding the DCDC charger somewhere on the body in the trunk compartment?

From your other pictures looks like you only ran the positive wire back to the trunk. Not sure if my concerns about being able to ground such a high wattage connection back there make sense.

Sponsored

BroncoInTheATL

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This looks clean! Nice work!

Did you route both the negative and positive wires in that sleeve? Or are you only running positive to the trunk, and grounding the DCDC charger somewhere on the body in the trunk compartment?

From your other pictures looks like you only ran the positive wire back to the trunk. Not sure if my concerns about being able to ground such a high wattage connection back there make sense.
There was a ground point in the trunk, near where I installed the Dometic port.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was a ground point in the trunk, near where I installed the Dometic port.
Yeah I've used the grounding point over there for smaller load use cases like my WeBoost install, but was worried about it handling a full 240 watts at full blast 😅

ElDuderino

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Goal Zero, which I‘ve used for the purposes you described. It got me through an 8-day overlanding trip in Colorado last year and several overnights here in the Southeast. One problem was that the 12V plugs (either the Goal Zero into the truck or the fridge into the Goal Zero) would pop out on the trail and I’d get to camp and find the fridge had lost temp. Another is that the Bronco’s 12V only runs for a short time after you turn the truck off. There are a number of good portable power solutions and you could try one of them before investing the time and effort for this setup. Like you, I don’t have much electrical experience but between YouTube, a phone call with AAL, and a friend, I was able to do it over the course of about 8 hours.
I think I will go for a power station and see how it goes. Anker has a sale going right now, I think either a 1,000-1,500 watt station should fit my needs. Thank you for the information. If I ever decide I'd like to go on longer trips, I will definitely consider getting an aux battery setup. Thanks for the information!

ElDuderino

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I've flipped again and decided that I think I may want to try this setup. Is there a parts list, or videos I can watch to guide along with doing this? I'm aiming for the AAL setup with the batteries in the back storage area.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my Colorado ZR2 I just installed a Redarc BMS30 connected to 3-105amp Lithium batteries. For my 2-door Bronco I’m using an EcoFlow Delta2. The only problem with the Delta2 is it limits chargering using their dc cigarette connection to 8 amps meaning it will only charge at 100 watts, which would take 10 hours to charge it to full.

So I installed a dc to dc converter from Victron that will give it 20-30 amps at 24 volts, which is in-line with EcoFlow’s solar chargering. So I cut off the MC4 connectors on an XT60i harness and attached the ends to the victron so I know get over 400 watts of charging and won’t need to carry the extra battery for the Delta2.

Having it portable means I can bring it where I am, which is nice not being tied to the truck when I need power.
Sponsored