First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I see no reason why they couldn't offer that as an option.

I mean, diff size fuel tanks are optional on other cars. The Porsche 911 allows you to spec it with an extended range fuel tank (24G vs 16G).
The reason is there probably isn't space. They probably wouldn't put a 17 gallon tank in there if a 50 gallon one would fit.

Usually retrofitted auxiliary gas tanks fit in the space vacated by an underbody mounted spare tire. The idea that they'd engineer a giant empty space on the underbody on a vehicle that was never meant to have a tire there is not believable.

For those that are new, the picture referenced was noticed by many on launch day. The guy in the video didn't discover anything new.
Sponsored

Blackandbluebronco

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m sure a slim tank could be squeezed somewhere. i would love to have just a 10 gallon reserve tank. Wire the reserve to one of the aux switches when you switch to the reserve would be sweet.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I mean, diff size fuel tanks are optional on other cars. The Porsche 911 allows you to spec it with an extended range fuel tank (24G vs 16G).
Porsche also will literally paint the car any color you want, and let you choose between 6 colors of seatbelts. Or if you want leather covered air vents they can do that too

Ford doesn't make enough profit to offer what Porsche can do

You pay more, you get more choices, a 50k truck is mass market.

NoBigDeal

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m sure a slim tank could be squeezed somewhere. i would love to have just a 10 gallon reserve tank. Wire the reserve to one of the aux switches when you switch to the reserve would be sweet.
I'd be happy with an extra 10 gallons. The only trouble is finding a manufacturer that makes them. All the big names I've seen only make diesel tanks. There's an Australian company that makes 30 gallon tanks for some Toyotas and Jeeps, but it requires an exhaust relocation to get them to fit.

Blackandbluebronco

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd be happy with an extra 10 gallons. The only trouble is finding a manufacturer that makes them. All the big names I've seen only make diesel tanks. There's an Australian company that makes 30 gallon tanks for some Toyotas and Jeeps, but it requires an exhaust relocation to get them to fit.
I looked into one a few years back for my 4runner and didnā€™t get it cus Of the cost Being that they were made to order. Hopefully it will become more mainstream after the bronco comes out and starts to compete. I work part time at vocational school that teaches auto welding a fab. Might see if they can figure something out.

Sponsored

Sammy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Porsche offers it because it fills the void left if you donā€™t opt for AWD. While you may be able to point out some areas where extra tanks *could* go on the Bronco, youā€™ll run into issues with plumbing and crash protection. Nobody wants this to be the next Pinto.

ATXGuy

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RSQ8
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Freddy sucks with basic logic. I doubt will get 25mpg even, let alone 30mpg on a 30gal tank like some had said.

No way this thing can have a 1000 mile range.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

30 gallon would be sweet. Like the Raptors, space is likely the limiting factor. The Supercab Raptor gets 26 gallons and the crewcab gets 36 gallons. Space must be extremely tight for the 2-Door Bronco to only have 16 gallons.

Chamberlin

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X4 M40i
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's too bad there's no ferry tank option, but there's no way Ford is going to be adding another tank anytime soon and running the vehicle through all the crash tests again etc.

Somehow Stroppe got a second tank in there on the 1971-75 Baja Broncos, but there was a lot less regulation back then, pre-Pinto debacle.

I've got a nice, brand new 4 gallon Rotopax kit left over from my former JK build... Should be enough for a little extra peace of mind, and if I don't want to carry around the extra 35 pounds I don't have to.

Last edited:

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wouldn't surprise me.

That said, it's nice to have something stock from the factory. I loved that the Hummer H1 had this.
You could get the F-150 with dual tanks through '96, they were 19 and 18.2 gallons for a total of 37.2 gallons. You can spec an F-150 today with a single 36 gallon tank. You can spec a Super Duty with a 48 gallon tank.

Sponsored

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In case anyone wants the link to the company that makes those tanks. https://longrangeamerica.com/shop-tanks/

They do cool stuff but it is not cheap! Certainly makes some 5 gallon jerry cans look like a good option.

CEG30

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I remember there being a video just after the launch that showed off the G.O.A.T. modes.

In that video you can see the fuel reading said "1050 miles to E"

in this video you see it about 14mins 15secs in

Spray

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All you have to do is take out the back seats and call sunshine marine tanks in Miami and give them the dimensions of the rear cargo hold and they will make you a tank that would most likely hold at least 150 gallons. This would give you a very conservative range of about 1500 miles. Gotta factor in the weight of all that fuel youā€™ll be lugging around! You might want to up grade the suspension for the 1K plus pounds youā€™ll have in the back!
Any thing can be accomplished with these three things, Lawyers, Guns, and Money!

Skydoc

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350 , LS3 V8 Jeep Wrangler jku
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree, itā€™s not likely, but makes great sense as a future option to set them apart if they are trying to get people ā€œinto the wildā€
I have titan tank replacing my f350 and it doubles size to 55g. They make outer ones for jeep. Hoping they do bronco
Sponsored