Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Miata has soured me on soft top ownership. I might pick up a used one from someone that orders a softy and buys a hardtop later, but for now it's MIC for me.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Been a few years, but I've had good experience in the past with aftermarket soft tops for my CJs. Both of my Best Top soft tops held up well and improved on the stock design in some respects. Aftermarket for the new Bronco might include some design/finish options not offered by OEM.

On the other hand, typically it's better to get an OEM hardtop rather than aftermarket. For that reason, if at all you think a hardtop will be useful, consider the hardtop if only getting one top. But I'm living in the frozen tundra of Chicago at the moment, so that colors my value for a hardtop. :)

Zeno

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Defender Trophy Edition, 20 Ranger, 911SC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with the MIC and will go with an aftermarket soft top. In other threads, dual tops were listed as one of the deadly sins and I have a very very early reservation that I don't want buggered up if possible. I have an aftermarket Best Top and a bimini for my 1983 FJ40 and love them. Having the hook ups with the MIC was also a must for me. Not to mention that there will be multiple after market top configuration options that I may like a lot more than what Ford is presently offering.

Reactions: jxc

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My opinion having owned a JKUR with dual tops, is look at what Jeeps are running in your area. In mine it is 85% hard top, and most never take it off even though weather here does allow it.

I personally run hard top in the summer and winter, and soft spring and fall. They do have the new hardtop sun rider insert, and the owners I have talked to who have that love it. Easier to open up than the roof panels.

And then there are the fastback Trektops which can be easier to open, but limit rear cargo volume.

I would say if you are intending to run soft top and are in an area where a lot of Jeep’s do (usually places with enough temperate season where you want to drop the top, but need a top with you for occasional rain), then go dual top as it will cost less than aftermarket.

If you are in an area that doesn’t need rain insurance, or only occasionally is temperate enough to drop the top, get a hard top and a bimini and /or the sunrider insert.

I personally like the mesh spiderweb shade bimini I have which fits under my soft top.

Reactions: jxc

Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m getting the two door and actually prefer the MIC, for me it has that ulitarian- rugged look I prefer but I also like the fastback soft top, I like what besttop has done for ford and the bronco but wonder if there will be better options and better priced options aftermarket for the soft top...

Zap74

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3. Volkswagen Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let me throw this Into your conversation! Bestop will make the tops for Ford, Ford has the property rights for the tops from Bestop.

Ford Bronco Dual tops or wait for aftermarket soft? 5320AE89-F96D-44A0-A54B-48D6F8059957

Toogrady

First Edition
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Seems like the poll is about half and half, but I am staying hard top only, initially, on my 4 door. I am hoping the aftermarket develops a better option. Some like it, but I am not a fan of the current offered soft top for the same reasons others have noted. I might actually just go with the MIC and a bimini until something great comes to market

Trueblue2296

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands, 2022 F250 Tremor 6.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going MIC top on my 4 door badlands to get the hookups for when a hard top is on it. I will go aftermarket on the soft top. I like the one ford has but i want to see what else will come available. I plan to run soft top in summer so it's easier to convert when the weather is nice and hard top in the winter because it won't come off as much.

BroncoBilly17

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't have convertible experience but I've settled on the soft top as the four door comes with it standard. My rationale is to get the least expensive top from the factory, see how I like it, and then go aftermarket later if I want. The last thing I want to do is pay extra for something I may end up wanting to replace anyways. Besides, I'm not sure how to top fighting each other would help anyways, OP.
I made the same call on the 4-Door OB I ordered. I want the Bronco to have to drive on nice days where the doors and top will be off. I see way too many Jeeps out there in the summer with their hard tops on, and figure it's just too much of a pain to take it off / store it somewhere.

I'll take the Toyota approach of playing the game of maybe paying more later for something I need / want, rather than pay more now for something I don't think I need

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Going back and forth with this as well. I am 100% getting hard top, but debating if I want to get a soft top for the summer months. I don't really have the garage space to store the hard top if I want to take it off, but could store it at my warehouse during the summer months and just rock the soft top during the summer and fold it down when I want.

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is actually one of the best features IMO / it’s like a safari top on the old defenders. More shade and rain protection. A good bikini top will be nice though. Also the fast back tops cut a ton of storage space out too which I don’t like.
agreed

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hard top only for me. I sissies they'll be TONS of aftermarket soft tops to choose from

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can anyone explain the cost reasoning between the two dual top options vs the stand alone pricing on a 4 door? I just don't get the pricing layout.

BroncoBilly17

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can anyone explain the cost reasoning between the two dual top options vs the stand alone pricing on a 4 door? I just don't get the pricing layout.
I wondered the same, and think I figured it out, but.....

The 4-door comes standard with the soft top, but you can drop the soft top and get the hard top for an up cost of $695 (USD), which would be how much more the hard top is compared to the soft top. The option of having both tops is $1,895 (USD), therefore the price of a soft top on it's own is $600

Stand alone Soft Top - $600 (USD)
Stand alone Hard Top - $1,295 (USD)
Total - $1,895 (USD)

Difference between Soft & Hard = $695 (USD)

But I failed math a few times, so.........
Sponsored