Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi All,

Apologies if this was asked already but I am one of the guys who will run with a 4-door and standard soft top with the hopes of ordering the hard white top when available.

Question is - can I somewhat simply remove the hard top and swap on the soft top & vice versa? Or is this an involved process which would be beyond my novice skills?

Also I like the ssaquatch look but don't off road enough to drop the $5K price for it. Since I am ordering an Outer Banks, couldn't I just order 35" tires to give me something close? Would they clear? If not, do we know the largest clearance tolerance?

Thanks!
Sponsored

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unfortunately, we don't have answers to these types of questions. Ford is not communicating any details like this that could influence our purchase decisions.

That being said, I'm pretty confident in saying that 35" tires will not fit on OBX without a lift. Maybe 33s, but I think even those could be an issue.

I'm also confident in saying that swapping between hard and soft top will not require a lot of skill.

The biggest unknown with starting soft top is whether the electronics exist to run a rear wiper and defroster when you switch to hard top.

But again, Ford isn't doing much to help us.

andi

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

so in terms of the question about 35 inch tires, negative, the outer banks tires are originally 32 inch, moving up to 35 inch tires will require a lift,
what you can do is get the same tires size and get some KO2's or some goodyear M/T

for the top question, im pretty sure u can do it urself, as for the soft top and hard top are removable

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Unfortunately, we don't have answers to these types of questions. Ford is not communicating any details like this that could influence our purchase decisions.

That being said, I'm pretty confident in saying that 35" tires will not fit on OBX without a lift. Maybe 33s, but I think even those could be an issue.

I'm also confident in saying that swapping between hard and soft top will not require a lot of skill.

The biggest unknown with starting soft top is whether the electronics exist to run a rear wiper and defroster when you switch to hard top.

If ford sells a white top seperately from a vehicle they would probably be required to include a wiring solution. If its aftermarket who knows.

To the OP tire question. I think if the non squatch overlander can squeeze 35s for on road 33s shouldnt be a problem on all model of Broncos at most they may require a 0.5" bumpstop extensions. Probably doable with 35 cent hardened washers.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi All,

Apologies if this was asked already but I am one of the guys who will run with a 4-door and standard soft top with the hopes of ordering the hard white top when available.

Question is - can I somewhat simply remove the hard top and swap on the soft top & vice versa? Or is this an involved process which would be beyond my novice skills?

Also I like the ssaquatch look but don't off road enough to drop the $5K price for it. Since I am ordering an Outer Banks, couldn't I just order 35" tires to give me something close? Would they clear? If not, do we know the largest clearance tolerance?

Thanks!
From a technical perspective swapping from hard top <--> soft top should NOT be difficult at all. Just a few bolts to take out and put on. The difficulty comes in the logistics of lifting that awkward piece of fiberglass know as the back portion of your hard top. Have a friend or a hoist available.

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We've been told a while back that the electronics and rear wiper is there

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We've been told a while back that the electronics and rear wiper is there
Nothing concrete in writing from Ford so I don't really trust it enough to sign up for the soft top.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If ford sells a white top seperately from a vehicle they would probably be required to include a wiring solution. If its aftermarket who knows.
The roof will probably have provisions. My concern is that a Bronco ordered with only a soft top won't come with all the wiring on the truck.

Like someone posted above... Theres not enough concrete evidence today for me to order a soft top in hopes of adding a hardtop later.

Last edited:
OP
OP

tenmidgets

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks guys - a bunch to consider here. Unfortunately I think it'll take some more time for it all to come through in a concrete fashion. Will stay tuned with the rest of y'all!

Tarjea

Base
First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi All,

Thanks!
It looks like the hard and soft tops can be put on according to needs if you don't have a dual top. My sales guy is waiting on an answer because I asked him the same thing. It shouldn't be very complicated to do.

NoMansLand

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Well, crap I was all set on waiting for the painted hard top to become available. I’ll beat the dead horse in saying a gray MIC top was a poor design choice. Maybe they were worries a black MIC top would not weather well?
Sponsored