First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't towed anything with a lift. I just need to tow a Uhaul trailer for my mother. Do I need an adjustable height ball mount hitch due to the lift from the Sasquatch? Much appreciated the help.
Sponsored

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a 2" drop and a 8" extender. Clearing that spare tire is difficult without a drop and an extension or a long trailer neck (not expected on a Uhaul).

OP
OP
Balthezor

Balthezor

Badlands
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you sir. That really helps.

E. Davis

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Agree on the 2" drop. 3" drop should work as well. I went for the Draw-Tite Max hitch with the extended receiver to help with the large spare clearance. I know, I know, it is ugly as hell. It was a painful decision. But I tow a small boat and various small trailers a lot. It sticks out a few inches past the bumper, so I'll need to rethink this if I do any serious wheeling, as it will definitely reduce the departure angle.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
UHaul used to have a rule about not allowing their trailers to be towed by Broncos, Blazers, Jeeps etc with a removable top. Might want to check if that is still on their books.

Sponsored

gerby151

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22Bronco Badlands (Honcho) '09 Harley Davidson
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

UHaul used to have a rule about not allowing their trailers to be towed by Broncos, Blazers, Jeeps etc with a removable top. Might want to check if that is still on their books.
They require the hardtop to be on for trailer rental

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Agree on the 2" drop. 3" drop should work as well. I went for the Draw-Tite Max hitch with the extended receiver to help with the large spare clearance. I know, I know, it is ugly as hell. It was a painful decision. But I tow a small boat and various small trailers a lot. It sticks out a few inches past the bumper, so I'll need to rethink this if I do any serious wheeling, as it will definitely reduce the departure angle.
I need another 4" for my bike rack to clear the spare tire mount and for my utility trailer latch to clear the bottom of the spare, but am having a heck of a time finding anything that short. They're mostly 7" or 8" extenders. I never when thought about swapping out the entire reciever, but that may end up being the answer here.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I need another 4" for my bike rack to clear the spare tire mount and for my utility trailer latch to clear the bottom of the spare, but am having a heck of a time finding anything that short. They're mostly 7" or 8" extenders. I never when thought about swapping out the entire reciever, but that may end up being the answer here.
What about using a hitch that has a longer Shank?
(distance between the pin that retains it in the receiver and where the ball mounts)
The one in the link below is 13.25" between those points.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Brophy/BH20.html

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What about using a hitch that has a longer Shank?
(distance between the pin that retains it in the receiver and where the ball mounts)
The one in the link below is 13.25" between those points.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Brophy/BH20.html
A longer shank is preferred over an extender. Just make sure the drop fits with your Bronco. The one in the link has no drop.
That would definitely help with the utility trailer, but I'd still be stuck with the bike rack. Or when using anybody else's regular-length hitch for a trailer with a different ball diameter.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That would definitely help with the utility trailer, but I'd still be stuck with the bike rack. Or when using anybody else's regular-length hitch for a trailer with a different ball diameter.
Extender is reasonable for a bike rack. For a different ball diameter, I don't rely on anyone else's equipment typically. Just get a multi-ball setup so you can swap to the three most common sizes. Easy enough.

Bronco_Mo

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's still there; I'm not sure why...but I have an Outer Banks SAS with a soft top and UHAUL says they won't let me hook up to any of their trailers.

tractorcrusher

Black Diamond
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's still there; I'm not sure why...but I have an Outer Banks SAS with a soft top and UHAUL says they won't let me hook up to any of their trailers.
Yeah we pulled a small trailer with my fiancé's Jeep JKU a few months ago and they only let her use it because she has a hard top.

I think their reasoning is if you pull a trailer with a soft top you might be inclined to open the top and have an enjoyable experience.

Seriously though, UHaul doesn't allow soft top towing for liability reasons (according to them). They think if you're in a rollover/accident there's a chance the trailer or parts/contents of the trailer can hit the passengers. Which I guess makes some sense...

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The one time I trailered anything on a borrowed trailer and hitch, the trailer was a little out of level. I also had to clip the Ball on the trailer and then move it into the receiver - I couldn't clip the lock - the spare was in the way. A drop of some kind is definitely called for.

Thanks for the good news about U-Haul. Will be sure to mention that taking the top off is not a consideration while towing.
Sponsored