Reaction score
Website
dv8offroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco's & Jeep's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We spent our week out at United By Bronco in Sand Hallow, Utah and broke on our first trail! We were being spotted up Menios Choice on the West Rim Trail and next thing you know we broke our tie rod and front differential at the SAME TIME!!! Weren't too sure how to get off the trail without damaging more stuff, so we called Matt's Offroad Recovery and they helped us out.

Check out our video here:

TheGriffin1313

Base
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I didn't see where it mentioned if it had a lift kit or it was running 37's.

Sewie

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 22 Bronco BL Sas 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't see where it mentioned if it had a lift kit or it was running 37's.
If you look at the truck on their website, it has 37" Falken Wildpeaks and what look to be Eibach coilovers.

TheGriffin1313

Base
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you look at the truck on their website, it has 37" Falken Wildpeaks and what look to be Eibach coilovers.
I see thanks good to know they took the truck beyond the mfg specs.
But dang it Ford for not putting stronger parts to allow for some form of “margin of safety”

Sponsored

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
elantra, have dep on a badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@DV8offroad about to order your spec bumper, how worried should i be about it bending the front attachment points? Or was it just the towing situation and if so how could it be avoided if you need to be towed off? Suggestions on what you'd do differently?

Last edited:

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

How is anyone going off road like that without beefed up or spare tie rods?
Gitten and Healy have made the point that in modified Broncos with upsized tires, the OEM tie rods serve as a fuse, and are better left unreinforced (ie, carry spares for trail repairs). Beefing up tie rods just transfers the breaking point to the steering rack, they said, a worse repair. I understand thats why some are looking to upgrade to Raptor steering racks.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Did we watch the same video? The front bumper twisted and pushed the winch into the grill.

While I love DV8 products, and I have first hand experience with their great customer service, this was not a good look for the bumper. It absolutely should not be used for lifting the front end in a recovery.

EDIT: DV8 has corrected the record. The frame mounts bent. The bumper is fine.
And that is why the Warn bumper, Factory winch mount and LOD have frame stiffeners behind the front bumper mounts. All winch bumpers should get them.

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And that is why the Warn bumper, Factory winch mount and LOD have frame stiffeners behind the front bumper mounts. All winch bumpers should get them.
Which bumper you describing?

Edit: black ops frame tie in brackets?! Those are universal correct?

Sponsored

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Warn winch bumper

Ford Bronco DV8 Bronco broke down in the desert *rescue video* CFBF0A3A-ECEA-49C1-89FE-6B6A0EA23B4A

Yeah looking at this is should definitely be an option or included after seeing what happened in that area.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yeah looking at this is should definitely be an option or included after seeing what happened in that area.
Anyone can by the LOD brackets to do this if you need a retrofit.

if you can't tell I read a lot of instructions and dissected a few mounts before we built mine.

Last edited:

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Our bumper held up to the test with no issues! Fords frame horns were the weak point that bent.
I'm no expert, but lets be fair or think this through. Ford's mounts were not designed for the Torque created from lifting attachments on the front edge of a specialty bumper that protrudes an extra foot(?). When disigning a bumper, then putting lifting points on the outer front end, instead of where the OEM shackles meet the frame . . . I dont think its reasonable to place all the blame on Ford. This is an unforseen design flaw of a very nice bumper, IMHO. That is, as others have said, use stronger attachment hardware for that bumper.

Ford Bronco DV8 Bronco broke down in the desert *rescue video* SmartSelect_20230317_203326_Chrome

Ford Bronco DV8 Bronco broke down in the desert *rescue video* SmartSelect_20230317_203426_Chrome
Sponsored

Last edited: