newclubfront

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
First time posting here. I made a youtube video to document my experience. Took about 2 full weekend days. I'll probably continue with doing the doors, floor and tailgate just to see how quiet I can get the vehicle simply because I'm curious now.

Sponsored

OP
OP

newclubfront

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Reserving this comment for updates and answers to any questions.

list of materials used:
3 boxes of dynaliner at $58 each: Dynamat 11102 Dynaliner 32" x 54" x 1/4" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WQOR4C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1W44JFQ24DWRSA1K0KH2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 box of dynamat at $172: Dynamat 10455 18" x 32" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Bulk Pack, (Set of 9) , Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00020CB2S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GHSC9WGXTTZ9TZCRJ032?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

roller at $9:LUMITECO Bearings Equipped Automotive Car Audio Sound Deadening Application Wheel Roller, Heat Abatement Mat Wallpaper Application PU Smoothing Tool Seam Roller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W9BTN6G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_W56FATRG4JCG6Z543PFG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Idk how much the spray glue was.

Question: can you elaborate what the 3rd layer you left out was? Answer: it’s called mass loaded vinyl. It’s the actual noise insulating layer but for most headliners, it’s too heavy and not a viable option. If you’re curious about sound deadening, go here: https://resonixsoundsolutions.com/reference-information/

Last edited:

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 22' Braptor, 2020 BMW M340
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Super happy you did this!

How much did the material cost for the roof?

Also, do you mind giving a breakdown of the layers used?

OP
OP

newclubfront

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Super happy you did this!

How much did the material cost for the roof?

Also, do you mind giving a breakdown of the layers used?
Updated top comment with materials and prices.

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Updated top comment with materials and prices.
Great thread. Will subscribe.

Might be cool to get decibel reading inside care.

Also, did you reinstall the factory headliner over the dynamat and the foam?

Sponsored

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Great thread. Will subscribe.

Might be cool to get decibel reading inside care.

Also, did you reinstall the factory headliner over the dynamat and the foam?
Agreed, Curious if it helped with wind noise. I get complaints from rear seat passengers that the wind noise is too loud, or something like that. I can't really hear them. hahaha

OP
OP

newclubfront

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Curious if it helped with wind noise
In my opinion no. Purpose of dynamat and dynaliner is more for vibration and resonance reduction which tend to exist more in the lower frequencies unlike wind noise. If somebody in Minnesota has a stock black diamond hard top though I'd be down to run some decibel measurements to get objective evidence.

I will probably download a decibel app and see if I can get any overall reductions when I install the hood liner that just came in and when I more aggressively sound dampen the rest of the doors, floors, and tailgate.

OP
OP

newclubfront

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can't really hear them
I did notice that I now listen to my music about 1-2 levels lower now that everything is installed. Both on the highway and on city roads.

FellowM3

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Did you reinstall the factory headliner over the dynamat, and the foam?

Or if the foam your new "finished" layer.

Jeffal

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the video. Please post videos of your next noise reduction material installs.

I have a BD also and noticed in the front under the dashboard behind the pedals there's a huge area of bare metal. I plan to install some dynamat/liner there.

Sponsored
OP
OP

newclubfront

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did you reinstall the factory headliner over the dynamat, and the foam?

Or if the foam your new "finished" layer.
Reinstalled factory liner as finished layer to try to preserve stock look. Video shows the details.

OP
OP

newclubfront

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the video. Please post videos of your next noise reduction material installs.

I have a BD also and noticed in the front under the dashboard behind the pedals there's a huge area of bare metal. I plan to install some dynamat/liner there.
I noticed this too. Definitely plan to address this as much as possible when I do the floor. I think lux packages get more default sound deadening from the factory in that spot?

Still debating what materials I'll use. Might go for a cheaper butyl rubber and undecided on mass loaded vinyl because I won't be able to get close to 100% coverage. Might just do a cotton jute like OEMs do.

Skott

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Great write up, very good video with many details, and I definitely appreciate the links and updates for this job.

The issue, in my opinion, is there was no baseline decimal levels done before the update. I know you mentioned the install wasn't to reduce wind noise while driving, but instead to reduce vibration and resonance reduction.

What's at least measurable to me is you mentioned you're able to listen to music a couple of notches lower. That helps me gauge if this is at all reasonable for me to look into. What would be a big seller for me, is if you could say I reduced highway driving noise at 70MPH by 23% by adding the dynamat, etc.

OP
OP

newclubfront

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
at all reasonable for me to look into
Yea probably not for 99% of bronco owners. I'd definitely do it again in a heart beat though and I plan on doing the floor, doors, and tailgate just because why not. I was playing around with the NOISH decibel app today and it's a little tough to get repeatable readings so I should have driven the same route 5+ times and average the readings for this video.

I have a hood liner video coming out soon so I'll try the app for that but again I doubt the db meter would consistently show an improvement. I honestly think the best bang for your buck would be some sort of wooden brace between the roll cage and hard top. That could be made for <$50 and would def show up on a db meter going over consistent bumps. I'll take some measurements and mock up a prototype and make a video on that as well. More as a proof of concept than a finished solution.

motocane

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appreciate the writeup and video. I have considered this as well (just top) but it only seems like a surprisingly minimal improvement. Was hoping for more benefit so I guess I'll just turn the radio up 1 level and save myself the time and expense.
Sponsored