Dynamic Roof Load limit of 110 lbs

BoatBuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Seems low considering those rails are connected to hardpoints and not directly to the roof. Am I interpreting this spec incorrectly?
Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems low considering those rails are connected to hardpoints and not directly to the roof. Am I interpreting this spec incorrectly?
Agree that it is a low rating. A clamshell Rooftop tent normally wieghs over 110lbs. Hope there are better options to increase the dynamic load. Carry. Static is like 400 which is ok.

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where's that info from? Likely has to do with the amazing suspension being so good for speed

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just legal mumbojumbo...
My Escape with a sunroof has a roof capacity of 50lbs, while steel roof models it's 100lbs.
Why? Highway rollover... That extra glass in the roof changes the COG and dynamics of the car.
Ford just doesn't wanna be sued for you crawling and rolling over with 400lbs on your roof.

Sponsored

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

110lbs maybe tricky. Just a quick look on REI and only 2 of theirs would work (both 2 person and under 110lbs). The 3+ person tents all are well over the 110lb.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think this is just for the panels, I would think when a rack is noted it will be higher for the rack.

Sammy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What’s the logic behind not offering a rack with the 35” tires? What does one have to do with the other?

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
What’s the logic behind not offering a rack with the 35” tires? What does one have to do with the other?
Garage clearance?

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think this is just for the panels, I would think when a rack is noted it will be higher for the rack.
This^^^^
The 110lbs is ONLY for the panels. The rails have the 450+lb rating

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I hadn't seen that anywhere, but if true likely for the reason someone else said. Rollover risk

OP
OP
BoatBuilder88

BoatBuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Rollover risk is definitely a reasonable guess. Based on the published specs, it's not garage clearance. (this was my original assumption)

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damnit, I told my neighbor’s kids that they won’t be able to ride in it, but I was going to strap them to the roof.
#cancelCulture

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This^^^^
The 110lbs is ONLY for the panels. The rails have the 450+lb rating
That's not what those figures mean.

Dynamic at 110 pounds is what they can handle while the truck is in motion i.e. gear shifting around while you're out on the trail.

The 450 lb Static rating is if the truck is parked.

For example, you find a roof top tent that's less than 110 lbs. You're cool to ride around all day out on the trail with minimal risk of damage to the top. But, once you decide to go to sleep that night you've only got 340 lbs of capacity to put up there (450 minus the 110 lb tent). Camping by yourself not such a big deal but bring a friend or a pet, your bedding, any gear you want safe up there with you and it eats into that 340 lbs pretty quickly.

There are several companies that make bracing for the inside of Jeep tops that tie into the sport bars and side rails and even more that make an exoskeleton type rack. Those will get ya to 300-400 lbs dynamic and 900-1000 lbs static which is plenty of safety margin if you're doing any kind of real roof top tent camping. I'm sure something similar for the Bronco will come soon enough. Personally, I'm trying to decide between one of these beefed up tops or just building a 4x6 off-road trailer with a rack for an RTT. The advantage of the trailer being I can park it easily when I'm not camping. MPGs may be a wash between a RTT mounted on top of the truck or a slightly heavier trailer but at least in the slipstream on the truck.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i guess no putting old kona dh bikes on there then lol. anyone whos tried to ride these up a hill will know what i'm talkin about
Sponsored