Sponsored

Dyno comparison between the Ranger 2.3L and the F150 2.7L.

phobiarg

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus ST // 2017 2.7 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hope this graph can help people decide which engine choice to make based on more than just peak horsepower and torque numbers. The data is pulled from a well known EB tuner shop and I used the data from their baseline runs before tuning and modifications. The 2.3L was in a Ranger and the 2.7 was in an F150. The numbers should be similar to those that we should find in the Bronco.

2.7 Ecoboost Stock 93 (F150) vs 2.3 Ecoboost Stock 93 (Ranger).png
Sponsored

rand442002

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Ram W250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hope this graph can help people decide which engine choice to make based on more than just peak horsepower and torque numbers. The data is pulled from a well known EB tuner shop and I used the data from their baseline runs before tuning and modifications. The 2.3L was in a Ranger and the 2.7 was in an F150. The numbers should be similar to those that we should find in the Bronco.

Ford Bronco Dyno comparison between the Ranger 2.3L and the F150 2.7L. 2.7 Ecoboost Stock 93 (F150) vs 2.3 Ecoboost Stock 93 (Ranger)
Thanks for posting this. I'm definitely going for the 4dr (I need room for wife and 3 kids plus gear) so I was leaning towards the 2.7 to make sure I wasn't underpowered but I really want the manual. At least I have plenty of time to research more between the 2.3 and 2.7. I just hate that Ford is making me choose between the transmission I want or the engine I want.

OP
OP
phobiarg

phobiarg

Black Diamond
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus ST // 2017 2.7 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for posting this. I'm definitely going for the 4dr (I need room for wife and 3 kids plus gear) so I was leaning towards the 2.7 to make sure I wasn't underpowered but I really want the manual. At least I have plenty of time to research more between the 2.3 and 2.7. I just hate that Ford is making me choose between the transmission I want or the engine I want.
Honestly the 2.3 is no slouch. Just to put things in perspective, the 2.3L makes more wheel horsepower and torque than the 5.4L V8 Ford used to put in the F150.

Edit: I know not all dynos are equal and even the same dyno in different conditions can greatly affect readings, I figure the image below can at least show the power/torque curve of the 5.4.

Ford Bronco Dyno comparison between the Ranger 2.3L and the F150 2.7L. Image-210-1

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Plus, here is to hoping the rangers dealer performance flash that ford offers becomes available on the 2.3 bronco. 325hp and 350ftlb makes a lot of the 2.7 concerns go away. Sure you can modify the 2.7 and get even more. A dealer/factory supported flash to the eec that puts you very close to the 2.7...and I get the manual I will take the 2.3 and be happy stock and if a flash comes out be even happier.

I have absolutely 0 second thoughts on getting the 2.3 in order to get the manual. Would I take the 2.7 if offered in a manual...sure but it is not so I must move on.

SouthernBronco6g

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That 2.7 EB torque though, tuned it will be around 450 wtq.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Yeah, no 7MT on the 2.7 REALLY SUCKS

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Isn't the 2.3 more fuel effficient than the 2.7?

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve really started weighing out the 2.3 vs the 2.7.
Obviously, for many of us, cost is going to be a factor when building our rigs. I’ve been weighing the pros and cons of both motors while not sacrificing too much. I’m very close to going with the 2.3 and 10spd on my Sasquatch after watching this review. The additional power and torque that is easily attainable with this setup is a large determining factor.
I know early on 5 Star was having issues with codes and fuel mixture, but from what I read on Ranger5g, they stepped up, fixed the issues and updated everyone’s tunes.

the dyno numbers were very impressive
Hp 255 stock vs 312 tuned
Torque 280 stock vs 369 tuned

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Plus, here is to hoping the rangers dealer performance flash that ford offers becomes available on the 2.3 bronco. 325hp and 350ftlb makes a lot of the 2.7 concerns go away. Sure you can modify the 2.7 and get even more. A dealer/factory supported flash to the eec that puts you very close to the 2.7...and I get the manual I will take the 2.3 and be happy stock and if a flash comes out be even happier.

I have absolutely 0 second thoughts on getting the 2.3 in order to get the manual. Would I take the 2.7 if offered in a manual...sure but it is not so I must move on.
I feel inadequate that I am having a hard time with that chart because I can't match the line pairings together.

Here are 2 others that might be helpful as well:

2.3 L - 2019 Explorer

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2019/2593820/ford_explorer_base_2_3l_ecoboost_4wd.html

2.7 L - 2019 Edge ST

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/curve/2019/2770820/ford_edge_st_2_7l_ecoboost_awd.html

I'm also brand new to turbos and notice that the torque is done by 3k on both. Silly high numbers though.
Sponsored