First Name
Bodie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ELR, Mazda CX-5
Bronco
Undecided
Clubs

A PHEV gives the consumer the worst of both ownership models. An expensive battery to replace in 7-9 years, charging equipment costs, as well as oil changes, timing belts, tune-ups, filters, etc. It's a technology bridge vehicle at best and necessary for those that don't have the ability to charge at home.
Not really. Mine is 7.5 years old and I don't see why I would need to replace the battery in the next 18 months. True, I could get 50 miles out of a charge when new and now I "only" get about 35. Part of the decrease is higher resistance tires when the originals wore out but it's still 35 miles of all electric per charge. I only need to buy gas a few times per year. Even if the battery degrades all the way to zero, it still gets about 38mpg in hybrid mode. Yes, you do still need to do the maintenance that an ICE needs but it is at longer intervals, so less. I only need to change the oil/filter every two years because the engine almost never runs. If I was cheap(er) I'd only change the filter every 4 years. The brakes will probably never need replacing because most stopping power is regen, not friction. The last car I had that needed a tune up was my first Bronco.
A PHEV is a compromise that gives some electric driving range without any range anxiety. An individual needs to decide if that compromise works for their use case. My lifetime average is 232mpg over 60,000 miles. That can't be the worst ownership model.

TheWoo

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Bronco
Badlands
All electric is the answer.

I leased a Hybrid about 5 years ago. It was great on gas, that was it. I want either all ICE or all electric. A PHEV gives the consumer the worst of both ownership models. An expensive battery to replace in 7-9 years, charging equipment costs, as well as oil changes, timing belts, tune-ups, filters, etc. It's a technology bridge vehicle at best and necessary for those that don't have the ability to charge at home.
I think anyone saying ICE, PHEV, or BEV are right or wrong for everyone is, well, wrong. There are consumers who have the perfect use case for PHEV. (I actually believe I'm one of them.) There are many for whom - like you've noted - are bad use cases.

I drive 5-20 miles per day on a normal work-week day when I'm in the office. I can go all-electric most days. But I occasionally drive 200-400 miles in a day for work. And on the weekends will have some fun adventures that will be a couple hundred miles of driving to places without charging infrastructure of any kind, let alone fast chargers.

For me, PHEV makes a ton of sense until BEVs are further along.

For people who commute more or less or are in places with good charging infrastructure, I can see the argument for all ICE or all BEV. But everyone is different.

Advertisement

BDS Suspension
Advertisement