First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1976 Bronco, 1979 Fiat
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
While it is thoughtful of Ford to consider the need for a Bronco nameplate, this design is actually somewhat depressing as it shows that the vision is just not understood. This concept is not a Wrangler-JK fighter, but is instead it is just another anonymous SUV clothed as a big Bronco redux with a mash-up of visual design elements from the early classic Bronco.

As many of us in the classic Bronco forums have stated, every JK we see- and there is one to see every few minutes when out and about- looks initially like a built up early Bronco, until we realize it is just the Jeep rip-off of Ford's early hard work. While this design might please the big Bronco crowd, it will not satisfy the craving of the masses for a vehicle that not only stands out, but projects the image of trail-worthy, beefy off-road machine. This is what the JK is delivering. It is what the original early Bronco delivers and has delivered for decades. Unless that conceptual next step is taken, the product will be only a success with a limited crowd, not a stand-out pleaser of the masses. By going with something with a trail-ready, modular and transformable design like the early Bronco, there would be a very good chance that this would be Ford's next big thing. This is not it.
Sponsored

Justafordguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Outer Banks, 77 Bronco, 05 F250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey Mars, I agree 100%, Ford doesn't need another soccer Mom car, it needs a Jeep killer.;)

Last edited:

fourbyfour

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Armada
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
While it is thoughtful of Ford to consider the need for a Bronco nameplate, this design is actually somewhat depressing as it shows that the vision is just not understood. This concept is not a Wrangler-JK fighter, but is instead it is just another anonymous SUV clothed as a big Bronco redux with a mash-up of visual design elements from the early classic Bronco.

As many of us in the classic Bronco forums have stated, every JK we see- and there is one to see every few minutes when out and about- looks initially like a built up early Bronco, until we realize it is just the Jeep rip-off of Ford's early hard work. While this design might please the big Bronco crowd, it will not satisfy the craving of the masses for a vehicle that not only stands out, but projects the image of trail-worthy, beefy off-road machine. This is what the JK is delivering. It is what the original early Bronco delivers and has delivered for decades. Unless that conceptual next step is taken, the product will be only a success with a limited crowd, not a stand-out pleaser of the masses. By going with something with a trail-ready, modular and transformable design like the early Bronco, there would be a very good chance that this would be Ford's next big thing. This is not it.
That's well said. Question is how many of the loyal and hardcore Jeep crowd will buy into it even if Ford created a direct JK competitor. For the masses of people who recall the Bronco they are not old enough to associate it with the early Broncos. Most of the young crowd Ford is targeting now thinks of the full size Bronco rolling down the CA highways when it thinks of the nameplate.

Bob Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater Mustang
That's well said. Question is how many of the loyal and hardcore Jeep crowd will buy into it even if Ford created a direct JK competitor. For the masses of people who recall the Bronco they are not old enough to associate it with the early Broncos. Most of the young crowd Ford is targeting now thinks of the full size Bronco rolling down the CA highways when it thinks of the nameplate.
That's good reason to give the Bronco a nice mix of classic and modern, like the Bronco6g renderings managed to do. That way there's a little bit there to appear to the widest demographic of potential buyers.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really like these new renderings, BUUUT, I think MarsChariot is right.

If they want a Jeep killer, soccer mom has to take a back seat. Sorry , end of discussion.
I don't see a lot of actual "soccer moms" driving the Jeeps. It is usually guys .... looking for a tough and beefy looking off road machine. even if they never really take it offroad.

There are better renderings out there that I think accomplish what MarsChariot was talking about. Like the orange one that was posted up on page 2 of the 2020 thread.
Given that , these renderings do start to take on the "anonymous S-10 soccer mom SUV look alike" that MarsChariot was referring to.
Maybe something a little more edgy, like the aforementioned orange one?

Look at the lines and how close they are to the classic Bronco.... even with wrap around headlights. The hard top, hood ... fenders, squared off doors. The only thing this thing needs is to square off the fender flares just a bit, liKe 6G does on the off road pics.
Let your eyes rest at the intersection of the door, fender and windshield ... don't the lines just seem sharp and masculine? powerful? edgy?
This thing would be badass. Nothing soft about this truck ... or it's owner. :)

Attachments

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd really like to see a hard profile shot of the 6G version to compare against the orange one above ...

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Definitely needs the squared fenders but I do like the orange profile shot. The rear portion of the top reminds me too much of the 04 concept tho. Needs a more modern take.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely needs the squared fenders but I do like the orange profile shot. The rear portion of the top reminds me too much of the 04 concept tho. Needs a more modern take.
You mean the "ribbed for her pleasure" thing going on at the top?
Agreed.

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
LOL yes exactly. I'd probably just ditch the top year round anyway. Just not sure why they designed it like that.

Rozinante

Threads
Reaction score
Ford already produces the Explorer--about as soccer mom as it gets. They won't justify a second Explorer--while going bigger competes with the Expedition and going smaller competes with the Escape. Even going bolder competes with the Raptor--although the Raptor is technically a pick-up and not an SUV.

About the only market not covered is the tube-framed buggy--which Ford did beautifully with their mid-engined V6 "Ford EX" concept from the 2001 Detroit Auto Show (Google it). The "Ford EX" had 375 HP, 410 ft-lbs of torque, 52-degree approach angles, 90-degree departure angles, 50/50 weight distribution, and a light 2,600 pound curb weight. It was a concept, so it wasn't street legal--and the only one produced was sold for $96,250.00 at an auction the year-before-last. z

But we know Ford's not going there. The very best we can hope for is something of a Raptored small SUV--it has to be Early-Bronco-sized-or-smaller else if might very well steal so many customers from the Raptor that the Raptor could cease to be viable. But it is far better for Ford to steal the Raptor's sales than for a competitor to steal them--look how many efforts to best the Raptor have been attempted by Ford's competitiors yet all of them have only Epic Fails to show for their audacity. But the next competitor may find the combo of parts, styling, options, and performance that changes all that.

I say go small, go bold, and go very close in size and appearance to the Early Bronco--and do the Jeepsmack dance.

Ford Bronco Early Bronco Needed, Not Another late Bronco SUV 2021 Ford Bronco 4 Door Leak Image 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Bronco_CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TIE Fighter
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Bronco rendering that everyone has gone gaga about looks more like a late 80s Blazer than a Bronco I, IMHO. The idea that young people today have no clue about the Bronco I is a complete myth. Here in Southern Cal, people that want Bronco's (young people included) want the Bronco I. That's the original, that's the body style that boys and girls alike are drooling over. That's the bodystyle ICON 4x4 has help cerement a cult following around including celebrities. That's also the Bronco owned by the director of Ford Global Design. A modern interpretation of THAT Bronco is what the masses want and a guy like me needs.

Ford already has too many trucks and SUV's to create and sell another IFS BOF vehicle. The new Bronco needs to be competitive with the Wrangler on every front, including the hard core off pavement stuff. I can't help but think Ford is very well aware of this.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think they have already come out with the info that it is going to be solid axles and removable top. I think it is in other threads here That is good news.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I threw out some dimensions comparing an EB and a current Wrangler on another thread here. The current Wrangler is already larger than a EB, both height and length, even the two door version, in case you were wondering.

This is a C&P of that post:

What the intended goal seems to be is a Jeep killer, much like the 1G Bronos were, slightly bigger, very utilitarian in their base form. I'm not certain they can get much bigger than the Wranglers though. Per very little research, the Wrangler is already bigger than the 1G Bronco.
So who knows, it's all speculation at this point.
--

------------1976 Bronco------------- 2016 Wranglers
Length --------152.1"---------------- 164" or 184"

Width------------69.1"----------------------74"

Height -----------71.2"--------------------- 73"

Rozinante

Threads
Reaction score
Bronco_CA is right about those new Bronco concept drawings lookin' like a nasty "late 80s Blazer" more than the drawings look like any Bronco. I will puke and die before I will drive anything that looks like those nasty Blazers and/or their GMC counterparts.

The Early Bronco--such as my 1966 U15 if all of Ford's designers are too young to remember what those looked like--is the benchmark to be judged by. Rather than fuck this up, I'd rather that Ford pull out the old tooling and produce the exact same bodies (and frames, and rear axles, and suspensions)--only cut out the rear wheel openings to match the front wheel openings, get rid of the "brite metal" side trim, get rid of the dorky side mirrors, get rid of the farm implement back window handle, get rid of the clunky "stuck on" side turn signals, get rid of the preposterous pneumatic windshield wipers, get rid of the three-speed manuals, get rid of any and all column shifters, and go with the largest four-wheel disc brakes with ABS that will fit inside the wheels. None of this is difficult! And the Tremec trannies in GT500s should be just fine for the new Bronco if the transfer gearing and differential gearing is done right. Yeah, some of these items are pricey--but those who aren't willing to pay for the best can get something less capable from the off-road poseur manufacturers for less money. Have any of those poseur manufacturers offered anything competitive with a Raptor yet?

The 3.5 DOHC TiVCT V6 and the 5.0 DOHC TiVCT V8 are perfect engines for the Bronco--go with 'em and accept that diesels are struggling to meet Clean Air Standards (or cheating to meet them like Volkswagen does)--and may never be clean enough to meet the ever-toughening pollution standards looming just over the horizon. Don't get the new Bronco embroiled in the diesel drama--let other companies pour their billions into the struggle. Oldsmobile was GM's diesel leader--and you see where that got Oldsmobile. What were those fools thinking?

And equip the new Broncos with ARB Air Lockers and not those pitiful Eaton electric lockers that can't stay engaged if you have to back up a steep incline because there's not enough room to turn around where you've gotten yourself boxed in between a rock and a hard place. If Ford has to buy ARB to bring this about, then do it...Ford can recoup the purchase price by jacking up the price of ARB Air Lockers that fit all the OTHER makes of off-road vehicles.

Lunchtime is over--I gotta get back to work.

P II

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.[banned site].com
Vehicle(s)
1990 F.S. Bronco, '99 Suzuki GSX-R, Honda clone 50cc dirt cycle, wife's '04 Civic
The throw back to the original body design is perfect. Just add a sunroof, lighted roof top visor, factory side steps/sliders, roof rack, and trail lights. That's how I want it. That and all of the super cool interior styling...
..also, keep the I.F.S., but lift it 4" dammit.
Sponsored