Sponsored

East Coast to Utah. Suggestions and tips please!

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I will be doing it for next year's Moab event. Plan to take the south route since I am in TN. Right now we are planning 9 days but that's with the focus of 5 days in Moab and not any on the way stuff. At some point I will do trips out west and do like 3 weeks.
Sponsored

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Drop down to Ocean City, MD and pick up US 50 East. You can take it almost all the way to the Pacific Ocean, as it stretches to Sacramento. Itā€™s a mostly rural route and almost certainly the longest east-west US highway that isnā€™t an interstate.

Starting in Kansas, you will parallel the Arkansas River well into Colorado. Then on the other side of the Continental Divide youā€™ll parallel the Gunnison River.
Check out Royal Gorge and Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. Taking a detour to the North Rim of Black Canyon will take you on a spectacular drive that is lightly traveled.
A southerly detour at Montrose to Ouray and/or Telluride would give you the opportunity to drive some world class roads (Million Dollar Highway) and passes (Imogene Pass).
US 50 actually turns north at Montrose, heading to Grand Junction, home of Colorado National Monument. Rim Rock Drive through the monument is beautiful but very similar to what youā€™ll see in and around Moab.
50 will share the same path as I-70 west of Grand Junction. Take scenic Highway 128 south, paralleling the Colorado River to get to Moab.
Lots of great options in Moab, but spend at least two days in Canyonlands NP-a day in the Needles and a day in Islands in the Sky, and at least one day in Arches.

Happy Trails.

OP
OP
FleshTuxedo

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP
OP
FleshTuxedo

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You all are the best. Thank you for the suggestions thus far!

Sponsored

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you end up driving through Albuquerque, then donā€™t forget to turn right (north).

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Iā€™d make it a point to plan it so I saw the BL in SD, Mt. Rushmore, etc.
My dad and I did this last year. Drove from North Georgia to Badlands, pit stop over night in Kansas City. Camped in Badlands, scenic easy off-road trail: sheep mountain table road, then over to Rushmore, camped in Black Hills. Then down through Denver and west to Moab. Few days in Moab (arches, canyon lands, and some great easier trails: eye of the whale, gemini bridges, shafer trail, hurrah pass, tow). From Moab drove to St George where we met with family that flew in, but on the way stopped at Capitol Reef and Bryce taking scenic byway 12 through escalate which was a beautiful drive. It took my dad and I a week to do the cross-country drive, national parks, some breweries, and off-roading before we got to St George

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've made the drive dozens of times and I'll be honest - it's a long torturous drive no matter which route you take. But it is worth it! I've done all the routes mentioned, but I prefer the southern route especially once you get to the TX panhandle and beyond. Although I70 from Denver is beautiful.

I've never had the luxury of driving leisurely - it's usually leave early Saturday morning (4am-ish) and driving as long as I can stand it. I push myself hard that first day so the second day is as short as possible. If you have the time, 3 or 4 days with time to see the sights would be great.

BigBend530

Big Bend
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2Dr.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You think 3 days is plenty in Moab until you get to Moab. We were just there earlier this week. Offroadeo filled the first day. 2nd day did Long Canyon, then Arches NP (timed entry reservation) then Gemini Bridges trail. 3rd day did a good part of Dome Plateau trail, then Shafer Trail into Canyonlands NP. Left Canyonlands at 5:30 to start heading back home (California).

Wanted to swing over to Quray, Colorado for some trails but the ones we were looking at were impacted by snow. Million Dollar Highway would have been a great drive too.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bro, I got the Bronco Trail App! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Right--but this guide gives you a "curated" guide to the trails: their difficulty rating, noted obstacles, photo and other points of interest, campgrounds, amenities, etc. Since your time in Moab is limited, you want to read up and choose the trails and backroads that will interest you the most.

My idea of a western vacation is to drive aggressively across country, clocking the miles off as fast as I can, stopping only for necessary sleep (Motel 6, free state campgrounds, yeah!), food and fuel. I want to get to where the fun is!

On the way there, consider sections of "Historic Route 66" in New Mexico. Monument Valley is magnificent but very touristy and you're restricted to a Level-1 dirt road loop. If the Grand Canyon is on your agenda, the North Rim is much less touristy and offers abundant off-road opportunities in the Kaibab National Forest. Plan that carefully--gas and services may be far apart. A hike down to the river needs a special permit, but is a never-to-be-forgotten experience. The North Rim is about 1000 feet higher altitude (and hike) than the south. It's out of the way, but if you do it, you could head north to St.George and explore western/central Utah, especially interesting if you like desolate areas (I do!). Check locations like Beryl, Lund, and the Wah Wah mountains on a detailed map--all dirt road, up to US-50 ("the world's loneliest highway") and, further north, the Pony Express Historic Byway (BLM-maintained dirt), which follows the old Pony Express route. Services and traffic are sparse there, but I did it solo last year and loved it. Lots of remote dirt and two-track roads to explore. Make sure you have gas, water, a tool kit, and recovery gear. At night, you'll see stars and moon like you never have before. This agenda would eat up a lot of a 2-3 week vacation, but I'd enjoy it.

From the magnificently remote and desolate Utah/Nevada area, you cold drive east to Moab, explore those trails, then shoot home.

I better close this post before I message you and beg to two-truck-trek with you!

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It is one of the best ways to go, but boring. Endless corn fields, but you're not going to avoid them no matter which way you go, so it does get them out of the way as quickly as possible. Council Bluffs is the only feature for hundreds of miles in either direction...
Oh come on. I80 is much better than the straight as a stick I70 through Kansas.

Sights to see.
Side trip north from DesMoine to Granger Ford to place an order for a 2025 model Bronco to be delivered in 2028.

More windmills than cows in Iowa (not really but close and traveling at night they all blink in unison.

Sandhills of Nebraska. Don't know if you can offroad them but it is a reminder of the inland sea from eons ago.

A real Pony Express station.

And once you divert SW towards Denver on I76 it is time and place to test the speed limiter if you haven't already in Nebraska , West of Omaha.

Interesting observation: not a single rest area in NE has a handicap entrance button.

PowderHound

Wildtrak
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Might head north on way there through the UP (stay a night up around Copper Harbor / Mt Bohemia) then head towards Deadwood / Black Hills and on to Yellowstone / Jackson. From there itā€™s fairly easy to make your way down to Southern Utah. On your way home hit Southern Colorado, eg Durango to Silverton to Lake City or Pagosa to Platoro via Elwood Pass. After that head to front range and start making your way back east. Some awesome distilleries and scenery in Kentucky. Tulsa is an underrated place too from a food / music / and babe standpoint.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Might head north on way there through the UP (stay a night up around Copper Harbor / Mt Bohemia) then head towards Deadwood / Black Hills and on to Yellowstone / Jackson. From there itā€™s fairly easy to make your way down to Southern Utah. On your way home hit Southern Colorado, eg Durango to Silverton to Lake City or Pagosa to Platoro via Elwood Pass. After that head to front range and start making your way back east. Some awesome distilleries and scenery in Kentucky. Tulsa is an underrated place too from a food / music / and babe standpoint.