Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey all, after following some advice I decided to tackle the tow package problem on my rig. I used the ford hitch, 7 pin connector, curt wiring adapter and red arc trailer brake controller. The install was pretty simple:

1. Install curt 4-pin harness per instructions
2. Install redarc trailer brake controller under steering wheel with the pre wired harness for the bronco
3. Add a pigtail to the blue wire from the harness and run through the firewall plug
4. Fish 2 black wires and one blue wire from the engine compartment to the rear receiver ( I did this through a hole in the frame and over the exhaust heat shield)
5. Connect the blue wire in the engine compartment to the pigtail you added, and land the 2 black wires on the positive terminal.
6. Connect all the wires at the receiver to their matching colors (one of the black wires you fished is for the power for the curt adapter)
7. Tie up the wires with zip ties.

Overall, it performs well pulling my trailer and took about 3 hours in total.

Ford Bronco Easy DIY 7-pin tow package complete 89067490-F849-49E3-9842-24C50611C903
Sponsored

Richterman

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, Superduty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Link for the controller please

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@SnowshoeBronco Just to be clear - did you start with factory tow package (with factory wiring) or is this a total do-it-yourself operation ?

OP
OP
SnowshoeBronco

SnowshoeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
SnowshoeBronco

SnowshoeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey all, after following some advice I decided to tackle the tow package problem on my rig. I used the ford hitch, 7 pin connector, curt wiring adapter and red arc trailer brake controller. The install was pretty simple:

1. Install curt 4-pin harness per instructions
2. Install redarc trailer brake controller under steering wheel with the pre wired harness for the bronco
3. Add a pigtail to the blue wire from the harness and run through the firewall plug
4. Fish 2 black wires and one blue wire from the engine compartment to the rear receiver ( I did this through a hole in the frame and over the exhaust heat shield)
5. Connect the blue wire in the engine compartment to the pigtail you added, and land the 2 black wires on the positive terminal.
6. Connect all the wires at the receiver to their matching colors (one of the black wires you fished is for the power for the curt adapter)
7. Tie up the wires with zip ties.

Overall, it performs well pulling my trailer and took about 3 hours in total.
89067490-F849-49E3-9842-24C50611C903.jpeg
I gotta thank @Jimmiee here as he clued me into doing the pigtail which saved a bunch of time

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Do you have just a 7 pin or both? Did you cut the 4 pin off the curt adapter and wire into the 7 pin instead? I'm gonna have to re-read this, I follow and then get lost. Nice job though.

OP
OP
SnowshoeBronco

SnowshoeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do you have just a 7 pin or both? Did you cut the 4 pin off the curt adapter and wire into the 7 pin instead? I'm gonna have to re-read this, I follow and then get lost. Nice job though.
Curt 4 pin and cut and spliced to 7 pin pigtail that came with the 7 pin/4 pin socket from ford. The ford socket allows for both 4 pin and 7 pin to work when you wire it up this way.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP
OP
SnowshoeBronco

SnowshoeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I
Any pictures of said pigtail? I’m going to have to tackle this in the coming months.
I didn’t take one but it was just a spliced wire to the blue wire on the harness

Sponsored
OP
OP
SnowshoeBronco

SnowshoeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This was super helpful! Smart as hell for all the folks who passed on Tow. I installed the hitch and I’m working through wiring options. Great timing- thank you!
Thanks, I put it off too long and now I’m kicking myself for not doing it sooner. It’s on par with fog lights as far as install difficulty.
Sponsored