Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you for posting- did I miss other differences between the Ford and curt hitches besides price? The curt is cheaper- what is the Ford advantage?
I don’t see an advantage, there is cutting and splicing involved with the ford unit where the curt has pre wired connections that just plug right in
Sponsored

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is how I did my wirieng. I mounted the plug as above and after looking at it for a few days I decided the plug would get smashed when I go to Moab nest Spring. So I moved it behind the bumper facing down. It's close to the muffler but it's fine with the heat shield which came with the kit.

BroncoEnvy

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr, 2006 F250 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for posting- did I miss other differences between the Ford and curt hitches besides price? The curt is cheaper- what is the Ford advantage?
The curt hitch doesn't have a place to mount the plug/connector on the back, you'd need something like this to mount it

https://lodoffroad.com/products/2021-bronco-trailer-hitch-plug-mount

Also looks like Mabett sells a copy of the oem Ford hitch that includes a mounting bracket for $100.00

https://www.amazon.com/Mabett-Trailer-Receiver-Accessories-Carrier/dp/B0B6FF5D2N?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Last edited:

kirnma

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Curt 4 pin and cut and spliced to 7 pin pigtail that came with the 7 pin/4 pin socket from ford. The ford socket allows for both 4 pin and 7 pin to work when you wire it up this way.
This might be a dumb question, but I'm assuming I can do the same but just splice my 4 pin connector to 4 pins on my 7 pin pigtail, and then add the 12v lead from the battery for a 5th pin. I don't need backup lights or the brake controller. I'm towing a very light trailer (e.g. under 1,000 lbs.). I've got the Ford Hitch, Ford Connector (M2DZ-14A666-B), and am ordering the 4-way harness from Curt. I just need brake lights, turn signals, and running lights.

OP
OP
SnowshoeBronco

SnowshoeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This might be a dumb question, but I'm assuming I can do the same but just splice my 4 pin connector to 4 pins on my 7 pin pigtail, and then add the 12v lead from the battery for a 5th pin. I don't need backup lights or the brake controller. I'm towing a very light trailer (e.g. under 1,000 lbs.). I've got the Ford Hitch, Ford Connector (M2DZ-14A666-B), and am ordering the 4-way harness from Curt. I just need brake lights, turn signals, and running lights.
Should work fine, just make sure you know which colors go to the corresponding colors on the 7 pin harness

Sponsored

kpecks

Wildtrak
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2023 Wildtrak 4dr Lux
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does the M2DZ-14A666-B 4/7 pin receiver come with the pigtail?? And just to confirm, the curt 4-wire harness will work w the 7 pin so long as i run the blue wire from the factory/redarc harness to the back plug?

RoverDude

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco (First Edition)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
It
Does the M2DZ-14A666-B 4/7 pin receiver come with the pigtail?? And just to confirm, the curt 4-wire harness will work w the 7 pin so long as i run the blue wire from the factory/redarc harness to the back plug?
It does not. That is wpt-1659.

look up my thread about hitch install. I have pictures and part number.

86Isuzu

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Bronco II, 03 Ranger Level II, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Should work fine, just make sure you know which colors go to the corresponding colors on the 7 pin harness
Industry standard (SAE J1128) is Black = Battery Charge, Brown = Right Stop & Turn, Red = Left Stop & Turn, Yellow = Center Pin Auxiliary, Green = Tail & Plate, Blue = Electric Brake, White = Common Ground

Of course, verify your particular application first.

Jawbox

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I just wanted to add my thanks for this thread. I installed my hitch and wiring this weekend and it was a really simple install to get the full 4/7 pin + Controller wired.
Sponsored