First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok crazy question here. I have a base sasquatch. For the first 2000 miles I was getting about 16.7 mpg in normal mode. I switched over to ECO and it went up to almost 18mpg...for a short time. I've kept it in ECO mode and now it's down to 14.8 mpg. Nothing has changed driving-wise other than the mode - and I'm up to 2800 miles now. Any explanations?
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Following! I'm about to drive from Orange County, CA to Las Vegas. I'll ride out there with 91 octane in Normal mode, and ride back to San Diego a day later with 91 octane in Eco mode and report back

Superthornbird

Everglades
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang, 2015 Outback
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Did you get fuel from a different brand station? Of the 2 EcoBoost vehicles I have had the brand of fuel makes a huge difference. For example in my f150 Phillips 66 and QuikTrip I would get 19mpg mixed driving. If I went to Shell or a ZX it would drop to 15.... no other changes. I had that truck 270k miles.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In normal mode it already shifts up insanely early. It's in 10th by ~35mph or so. ECO mode isn't going to make a lick of difference.

IMO normal mode should've been the "eco" mode and normal should be something a little under sport, as far as shift parameters go.

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO normal mode should've been the "eco" mode and normal should be something a little under sport, as far as shift parameters go.
Agree in terms of seeing a performance/mileage difference between the modes, but they obviously couldn't have done this for CAFE reasons. The Bronco is a fuel hog even in the current normal mode (and in eco mode, for that matter).

Sponsored

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I swear Normal mode has more "Learning" in it. At first I couldn't tell them apart but my shifts are much later in Normal compared to Eco now.

Reactions: JTM

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

wind conditions that day could have changed the fuel economy. not to mention that even 1 hard acceleration could affect your fuel economy by some amount.

OP
OP
Mountainguy

Mountainguy

Base
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did you get fuel from a different brand station? Of the 2 EcoBoost vehicles I have had the brand of fuel makes a huge difference. For example in my f150 Phillips 66 and QuikTrip I would get 19mpg mixed driving. If I went to Shell or a ZX it would drop to 15.... no other changes. I had that truck 270k miles.
This is interesting. I'll have to do a test...

bbkat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For reference, I drove from LA to Vegas this past weekend and averaged 18 each way. Didn't realize I was in Eco mode on the way back but I didn't experience a noticeable difference.

Costco gas out, Chevron back. 87

Badlands 4d, 2.7, 33's, soft top.

OP
OP
Mountainguy

Mountainguy

Base
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is interesting. I'll have to do a test...
Agree in terms of seeing a performance/mileage difference between the modes, but they obviously couldn't have done this for CAFE reasons. The Bronco is a fuel hog even in the current normal mode (and in eco mode, for that matter).
It's still getting better mpg than our 2019 Explorer and my friends with newer Jeeps. Just odd that it's now "broken in" and getting 2 less mpg.

OP
OP
Mountainguy

Mountainguy

Base
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
For reference, I drove from LA to Vegas this past weekend and averaged 18 each way. Didn't realize I was in Eco mode on the way back but I didn't experience a noticeable difference.

Costco gas out, Chevron back. 87

Badlands 4d, 2.7, 33's, soft top.
I'd take 19. But I'm definitely doing city driving.
Sponsored