CGiron

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lately there´s some sources that are claiming the Ford Nano engine with 3. 0 l V6 petrol is made with two dirrerent block materials . This engine is guessed to come in the coming Bronco Raptor

This is a complete misunderstanding.
Read this:

Prominent among the cylinder blocks on display is the world’s first high volume CGI petrol engine cylinder block, the Ford 2.7 litre V6 EcoBoost, establishing a new benchmark for CGI in petrol applications. The display also included a direct comparison between the Audi 3.0 litre V6 CGI cylinder block and the Mercedes 3.0 litre V6 aluminium cylinder block, highlighting that the assembled Compacted Graphite Iron engine is 125 mm shorter and weighs 15 kg less than the aluminium engine.
from
https://www.sintercast.com/market/exhibitions-2012-19/

GIFA World Foundry Trade Fair, 16-20 June 2015
You can´t make an engineblock with two such different materials without have a completly different size. The aluminium block must be much bigger in size and as you see above the aluminium therefore often weighs more than the CGI-engine. I think an aluminium version of the EcoBoost 3,0 needs a bigger enginebay.

https://www.sintercast.com/market/sintercast-passenger-vehicles/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There have been many engines in the past which had iron and aluminum block versions. Same overall dimensions. 4.6l ford modular engine is one that comes to mind but I know there are others as well.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
There have been many engines in the past which had iron and aluminum block versions. Same overall dimensions. 4.6l ford modular engine is one that comes to mind but I know there are others as well.
LS motor is the main one. They made an absolute ton of both.

While I’d prefer a CGI block in my bronco, I know aluminum blocks can be almost as durable. See: 3.5l Ecoboost.

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
LS motor is the main one. They made an absolute ton of both.

While I’d prefer a CGI block in my bronco, I know aluminum blocks can be almost as durable. See: 3.5l Ecoboost.
Lol, I seem to forget people besides Ford make engines sometimes!

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
did you also know that FERRARI helped ford engineer the Aluminum 4.6? And ford has used that engineering to develop the current 5.0 and 5.2 Aluminum Modular engines. Little did they know that that little 300hp motor would grow up to be a 500+hp MONSTER

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford makes the 302 boss block in both iron and aluminum. The alloy version is said to be stronger. By pictures it just appears well fed.

And no, no one else makes engines. The LS is nothing but a leaky junkyard 305 with new valve covers(for the leaks) ?

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

CGI in the block and aluminium in the head
Ford Bronco EcoBoost 3.0 V6 Nano leavetheironon-inline2-photo-587199-s-original

This is for the 2.7 nano, but I believe the 3.0 nano is the same construction. I think they also have (or had) another 3.0 ecoboost that was all aluminum. A smaller displacement version of the larger ecoboost V6s which are all aluminum. edit: I was thinking of the 3.0 duratec

Last edited:

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford makes the 302 boss block in both iron and aluminum. The alloy version is said to be stronger. By pictures it just appears well fed.

And no, no one else makes engines. The LS is nothing but a leaky junkyard 305 with new valve covers(for the leaks) ?
Yeah, I knew of the 302 aluminum but I was trying to think of a production engine since that’s what the OP was referencing and I couldn’t think of an example of an aluminum production 302.

Sponsored

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
did you also know that FERRARI helped ford engineer the Aluminum 4.6? And ford has used that engineering to develop the current 5.0 and 5.2 Aluminum Modular engines. Little did they know that that little 300hp motor would grow up to be a 500+hp MONSTER
I did not know that. Very interesting. Although it cheapens the awesomeness of the 4.6, 5.0 and 5.2. :(

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, I knew of the 302 aluminum but I was trying to think of a production engine since that’s what the OP was referencing and I couldn’t think of an example of an aluminum production 302.
Not exactly production but still factory made, with i think some level of warranty, maybe.
Sponsored