First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I spoke with a couple of techs at a Christian Brothers location and they mentioned two issues with EcoBoosts to be aware of.

The first was the 2.7L plastic drain plug and how it needs to be replaced every other oil change or it'll leak. I knew about this one. @Rick Astley recommends buying a metal fitting and drain plug that seems to convert it to a regular drain plug. Perhaps others have thoughts on this as well.

The other issue was the proprietary coolant hose coupling / T-fitting. It's a kind of quick disconnect instead of regular hose clamps. They said most EcoBoosts leak when it isn't under pressure, meaning when the vehicle is off. It tends to drip on a hot surface instead of right on the ground and doesn't make a pool under the vehicle in your garage, but to watch coolant levels and top off occasionally.

For those that own a 2.7L or other EcoBoost, have you heard of these problems and if so, what's your solution? Thank you.
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I spoke with a couple of techs at a Christian Brothers location and they mentioned two issues with EcoBoosts to be aware of.

The first was the 2.7L plastic drain plug and how it needs to be replaced every other oil change or it'll leak. I knew about this one. @Rick Astley recommends buying a metal fitting and drain plug that seems to convert it to a regular drain plug. Perhaps others have thoughts on this as well.

The other issue was the proprietary coolant hose coupling / T-fitting. It's a kind of quick disconnect instead of regular hose clamps. They said most EcoBoosts leak when it isn't under pressure, meaning when the vehicle is off. It tends to drip on a hot surface instead of right on the ground and doesn't make a pool under the vehicle in your garage, but to watch coolant levels and top off occasionally.

For those that own a 2.7L or other EcoBoost, have you heard of these problems and if so, what's your solution? Thank you.
Re: oil, if doing at the dealership then they should take care of that plug under warranty or as part of regular servicing.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They would only cover that plug for 3/36; however, if it cracks after two times, it'll then be a replacement part which then comes with a 12 month warranty. It's then on you after approximately two years.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They would only cover that plug for 3/36; however, if it cracks after two times, it'll then be a replacement part which then comes with a 12 month warranty. It's then on you after approximately two years.
Those drain plugs would be included in every service & you’d pay for it, if the parts dept is any good.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yes, the plastic oil pan on F150 (and some Mustangs) has been a problem since about 2015 when they came out with the bozo design. If you strip the pan bung then you're looking at a $500-600 replacement with factory labor rates

From what i've followed, this is one of the best bung conversions and will prevent you from ever having to replace the oil pan due to a stripped thread.

https://roninfactory.com/products/ford-f150-raptor-oil-drain-ronin-factory

Re: oil, if doing at the dealership then they should take care of that plug under warranty or as part of regular servicing.
It's been a point of contention on the F150 forums and more than one person has had issues with the dealership starting the issue and it failing once outside warranty as the plastic slowly strips out with each oil change.

If you ever do your own maintenance I would not expect the dealership to stand behind this with a voluntary warranty extension, based on how it went with others.

Plastic is NOT the best material for an oil pan.

Sponsored

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Those quick disconnect coolant hoses are on my coyote F150. I would have nagging drips after 100k miles. I eventually replaced them all. Not cheap but problem solved.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Those quick disconnect coolant hoses are on my coyote F150. I would have nagging drips after 100k miles. I eventually replaced them all. Not cheap but problem solved.
Replaced them all with OEM hoses I take it?
YOU'RE SITTING ON A GOLD MINE, TREBEK!

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had two 2.7s and did 100% of the service. No problems with the oil pan or plug, but I am pretty careful and aware of the issue, likely a bit lighter touch than the average oil change tech at the dealership and only had them 40k miles or so. The oil also shoots out like a fire hose, so be careful when servicing! No issues on the coolant lines either, but that’s likely an issue that comes with time and heat cycling. The top side service is pretty easy and mess free if you take a few minutes and do everything with an eye on letting everything drain.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Plastic is NOT the best material for an oil pan.
I know plastic pan is typical with the 2.7 - but has anyone seen it verified Bronco's 2.7 will be plastic?

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are any of these applicable to the 2.3? I know a few are having their oil being diluted by oil but it seems most cases are in cold climates.