Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I wanted to make a thread that can answer some simple type questions regarding tuning. Tuning will be highly popular on the Bronco. Factory turbocharged engines answer very well to even simple calibration changes. I will also go over current devices that are on the market and provide links to each for us all to research and choose what best fits out needs and wants. Let's start with some basic questions first.

What actually changes with a tune?

Various parameters in the engine and transmission calibrations are modified. In the simplest sense, more fuel equals more power. Ignition timing can be advanced to allow for the fuel/air mixture to be ignited at peak cylinder pressure to get the most power. The higher octane the fuel, the more power. Higher octane fuel is more resistant to pre-detonation which is very bad for turbocharged engines. See post #27 for a more detailed explanation thanks to @Laminar . As far as the transmission goes, there are several key tables in the calibration that will be modified. Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) can be modified to lock the converter in whatever gear desired as well as lockup speed to decrease clutch wear. Line Pressure can be raised to allow for quicker firmer shifts. Shift properties can be modified. For example, in HP tuners software there are Initial Slip Time, Overall Slip Time, and Torque Transfer time regarding the clutches inside your transmission. With fear of getting in too deep, just know there is a lot that goes into modern engine and transmission tuning. Most tuning companies have spent hours and hours of research, testing, and datalogging to provide a solid product for their customers.

Is tuning worth it if I only plan on using 87 octane?

This is a personal choice. Some companies do advertise power gains on 87 octane, but I have seen stock engine calibrations pull (retard) timing to avoid spark knock. If you are unhappy with the factory transmission shift strategy, tuning it alone may be worth it to you. The factory 10 speed will skip gears in stock form. Some people do not like that.

What are some other modifications that pair well together with a tune?

Basic bolt-ons! Turbocharged engine love to breath. They also love cooler charge temps (temperature of the pressurized air entering the engine). Free-flowing exhaust, downpipes, intakes, intercoolers, and charge pipes (piping from the turbo outlet to the intake manifold) are the most common ones.

Alright, what are the power gains?

2.3 Ecoboost: With 93 Octane, expect 30-50+ peak horsepower and 75+ peak torque. There will also be nice gains under the curve (Peak numbers)
2.7 Ecoboost: With 93 Octane, expect 50-75+ peak horsepower and 90+ peak torque. There will also be nice gains under the curve

A lot of the United states has access to E85. If you want peak performance, several tuning companies offer E30, 40, 50, or full E85 tunes. Blended tunes are blended with 93 octane. Full E85 tunes usually require upgraded injectors/fuel pumps. A full E85 tune on a 2.7 gets you around 450 horsepower and 525+ torque.

Devices:

SCT: Livewire, X4, etc..
Bullydog: BDX, GTX
HP Tuners: nGauge, RTD, MPVI
Cobb: Accessport

I put this together quick and dirty and will update it as time progresses. Please correct me on anything (as long as you can back it up lol) and post up anything other solid information and I will update this post.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I definitely recommend upgrading the Intercooler and Charge Pipes, as you want to avoid heatsoak and having power pulled because of it.

Also, Downpipes are the next best mod next to ECU for power for turbo engines, as the Cat's rob the power (I do HFC as I don't want to keep switching pipes for emissions), gives it a slightly raspy metallic sound.

You'll most likely have to do a CAI once it's time to go St2/3, though for stock, a drop in KN/AFE filter will be more than enough

Gotta figure out the limit of the stock clutch, then go from there

So excited to see what these Beasts are capable of!

ExJPR

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jp rubi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
though for stock, a drop in KN/AFE filter will be more than enough
Always had a K&N in my JPs. If I just want a bit better performance on the cheaper side, a K&N would be the 1st step? Next that a semi-handy fellow/lady could do on their own?

OP
OP
Spooled

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I definitely recommend upgrading the Intercooler and Charge Pipes, as you want to avoid heatsoak and having power pulled because of it.

Also, Downpipes are the next best mod next to ECU for power for turbo engines, as the Cat's rob the power (I do HFC as I don't want to keep switching pipes for emissions), gives it a slightly raspy metallic sound.

You'll most likely have to do a CAI once it's time to go St2/3, though for stock, a drop in KN/AFE filter will be more than enough

Gotta figure out the limit of the stock clutch, then go from there

So excited to see what these Beasts are capable of!
I agree with this^^

HFC = High Flow Catted for those who read this and may not know. There are catless downpipes and while yes they are the best if you're seeking every ounce of performance, be prepared for a buzzy sounding exhaust note, more fumes (not great if you have the top and doors off lol), and negatively affected emissions.

Sponsored

LemonShark

Outer Banks
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG, 2018 Honda Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm hoping Burger Tuning develops a JB4 for the 2.7. I've had a JB4 piggy back on two vehicles. It's awesome and removes quick and easy, so no problems with voiding the warranty.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with this^^

HFC = High Flow Catted for those who read this and may not know. There are catless downpipes and while yes they are the best if you're seeking every ounce of performance, be prepared for a buzzy sounding exhaust note, more fumes (not great if you have the top and doors off lol), and negatively affected emissions.
I love the slight gas smell from the HFC. Damn, now I really can't wait to mod, I know a shop too, though I want to wait to see if there's any issues

Btw, forgot one other Mod: Spark Plugs. You're going to have to do them anyway, might as well get the right one's and have them gapped correctly

OP
OP
Spooled

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm hoping Burger Tuning develops a JB4 for the 2.7. I've had a JB4 piggy back on two vehicles. It's awesome and removes quick and easy, so no problems with voiding the warranty.
I believe they are in Beta now for Rangers so imagine it will be available eventually. JB4 is a great option for those who don't want to mess with reflashing the ECU. It's just limited in total performance and no trans tuning.

LemonShark

Outer Banks
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG, 2018 Honda Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I believe they are in Beta now for Rangers so imagine it will be available eventually. JB4 is a great option for those who don't want to mess with reflashing the ECU. It's just limited in total performance and no trans tuning.
Exactly. Perfect for us non warranty voiding folks. Once the warranty is up, game on.

Factory turbo cars make me happy!

Sponsored

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A lot of the United states has access to E85. If you want peak performance, several tuning companies offer E30, 40, 50, or full E85 tunes. Blended tunes are blended with 93 octane. Full E85 tunes usually require upgraded injectors/fuel pumps. A full E85 tune on a 2.7 gets you around 450 horsepower and 525+ torque.
Will there be the availability of a FLEX options on these? Forgive me but I'm not familiar with the Ford set-ups. ;)

For my CTS-V I added the Pump, Injectors and a FLEX sensor.

OP
OP
Spooled

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Will there be the availability of a FLEX options on these? Forgive me but I'm not familiar with the Ford set-ups. ;)

For my CTS-V I added the Pump, Injectors and a FLEX sensor.
Yes there are options for Flex fuel tunes. The safest way to do it add a Flex fuel sensor. Full E85 tunes can be had also, but we're not sure yet. Some 2.7 guys upgrade the port side injectors just to be safe. I don't know about the 2.3

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a Buick Regal GS, 2.0 turbo, 6 speed manual. I put a Trifecta tune in it and.... Am I can say is WOW!
2nd gear roll ons would just light 'em up.
It'll be the FIRST thing I do to my Bronc
????
Sponsored