Sponsored

Educate me. Pizza cutter vs Sasquach style. Pros and cons.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Am I the only one that has never heard someone refer to tires as pizza cutters?

1603291974820.gif
It's a popular reference for people's that live in snowy regions. Skinner tires cut through snow better
Sponsored

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought "pizza cutter" was a pretty well known term for tall and skinny off-road tires.

8552.gif
Well, there’s the problem, I drive sports cars.

OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks everyone for your input, and i think I'll probably stick with the 32s until they wear out and go from there. I borrowed a picture from another thread where someone posted a pizza cutter setup that i think was 34s and it just sparked this question (i forgot who posted it, or else i would give credit). Thanks!

Ford Bronco Educate me.  Pizza cutter vs Sasquach style.  Pros and cons. IMG_2537

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Pizza cutters are better on gas mileage also. If that even matters.

Me driving 90 miles total for a work commute appreciates that....but I still want something that doesn't look goofy.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Educate me.  Pizza cutter vs Sasquach style.  Pros and cons. 1603295406356

On the mini coopers, these used to be called pizza cutter wheels

Sponsored
OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pizza cutters are better on gas mileage also. If that even matters.

Me driving 90 miles total for a work commute appreciates that....but I still want something that doesn't look goofy.
Yeah, essentially i would want to go with something that is in the middle of that tacomas look and the sasquach eventually.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Its funny, but I looked at where you live to try and answer your question better.....I'm in the same state...Get the 35s. I've been stuck with 32s and with 35s. We get snow drifts in my neighborhood and even with 35s its a challenge. You are looking at two things....You need clearance off the ground and you need to slice through the snow. The 35s will give you clearance. Pizza cutters as they mentioned are skinnier....The weight of the vehicle will push down on them to make better contact with the road and help you "cut" through the snow better. With the wider tires of the 35s you will be floating on the snow since the weight of the vehicle is spread out over more surface area. There is more of a chance of sliding with 35s. I think overall you'll be happier with the 35s.
Respectfully, you're conflating height with width.

I'm running the Kenda 35x10.50R17 pizza cutters right now.
There is also the Goodyear 275/80R17 MTR (34.4X10.50R17)

Most common 35"s by far are the 315/70r17 metric (34.5x12.50) and true 35x12.50R17
Still a lot of 35" 315/75R16s on the market. But that size is starting to disappear.

325/65r18 (35x13R18) is starting to pick up on the market.
For people who DD and tow more than they offroad.
The new Toyota TRD uses this size.

Interco Super Swampers can be had in 35" from 10.50 to 15.50 (!!!!) wide, but you will need to open your wallet extra wide too.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There has been a lot of good advice on here but some of the advice is only good to a point. Generally speaking, more surface contact with the pavement is better, which means wider tires are generally better in most circumstances, even in hard-packed snow and ice. If the snow you are driving on is slushy or loose, then narrower tires with lots of siping are better. I have never had any issues driving on ice (which is mostly what we get in Missouri) and snow on 35" X/T tires. People will be just fine with the Max Traction tires that come with the Sasquatch package.

Orbiter

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

https://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1811-skinny-vs-wide-tires-versus/

Arguments on both sides.

I am a Pizza Cutter guy. Makes for a much more enjoyable street driving experience and gives up little in the offroading I enjoy, which is dirt to rock...no mud. People think when you air down most of the footprint gain is side to side, but really its front to back. So Pizza Cutters are good there.

I also like the weight advantage moving them around, as they do get heavy, especially if you run a load E tire.

My offroad truck runs a 235/85 R16...basically a 32X9 vs the 35x12.5 that the bronco will run. a 235 85 r17 would be tempting on the stock wheels at 33X9...if they make it.
I'm looking at Toyo AT3s that come in 255/80r17, which is essentially 33x10, as a replacement for the tires on the BD or BL when worn out. They're E load rated tires though so I'm worried the ride will be stiff.

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
https://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1811-skinny-vs-wide-tires-versus/

Arguments on both sides.

I am a Pizza Cutter guy. Makes for a much more enjoyable street driving experience and gives up little in the offroading I enjoy, which is dirt to rock...no mud. People think when you air down most of the footprint gain is side to side, but really its front to back. So Pizza Cutters are good there.

I also like the weight advantage moving them around, as they do get heavy, especially if you run a load E tire.

My offroad truck runs a 235/85 R16...basically a 32X9 vs the 35x12.5 that the bronco will run. a 235 85 r17 would be tempting on the stock wheels at 33X9...if they make it.
Your best bet is 255/80R17 for a 33" pizza cutter-type tire.

Sponsored

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks @Incognito. I'm still kinda torn on what direction to go especially since mine will be a daily driver that also needs to handle snow, etc plus some basic trails.

I had a 76 F250 4x4 over ten years ago that had a very pizza cutter like wheel and tire setup and i kinda liked it. It also handled snow with zero issues due to the more narrow tire. Just trying to get some information together.
33x10/12.5 is a decent compromise.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not sure I agree with the sand comment though, a bigger foot print always wins if floatation is the goal.
I may have misunderstood the comment .
You only get flotation on sand or mud below a specific ground pressure per square inch.
That GP will be variable. Depending upon the the material and wetness.

Skinny tires aired down will act like tank treads.
They give a long contact patch vs ground displaced by the tread width. As the vehicle moves forward, you lose less momentum from the tread plowing effect vs fat tires.

The militarys of the world use pizza cutters because they are *generally* better all around. And they are not locked into one area, or type of use.

OTOH; Depending on where you live, and your uses, fat tires may be bettter.
Like rock crawling slick rock in Utah, or the bottomless swamps of Florida.

Finally, there is the looks issue.

Fat tires look bitching to most people.
A lot of people are going for the 35"s and even 37"s , just because it makes them happy.

Which is cool. The more people buy them, the cheaper they get.

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks @Incognito. I'm still kinda torn on what direction to go especially since mine will be a daily driver that also needs to handle snow, etc plus some basic trails.

I had a 76 F250 4x4 over ten years ago that had a very pizza cutter like wheel and tire setup and i kinda liked it. It also handled snow with zero issues due to the more narrow tire. Just trying to get some information together.
Really any one of the Bronco models will handle snow and basic trails.

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Respectfully, you're conflating height with width.

I'm running the Kenda 35x10.50R17 pizza cutters right now.
There is also the Goodyear 275/80R17 MTR (34.4X10.50R17)

Most common 35"s by far are the 315/70r17 metric (34.5x12.50) and true 35x12.50R17
Still a lot of 35" 315/75R16s on the market. But that size is starting to disappear.

325/65r18 (35x13R18) is starting to pick up on the market.
For people who DD and tow more than they offroad.
The new Toyota TRD uses this size.

Interco Super Swampers can be had in 35" from 10.50 to 15.50 (!!!!) wide, but you will need to open your wallet extra wide too.
When I said 35" I should have specified I meant the 315/70/17, which is what the Bronco will come with in the Sasquatch package. AGreed, you can 35s in many widths. I edited my post to clarify. Thanks again!!

Last edited:

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Found a Walmart 35x10.50R17s for $200, and pinned for studs, looks like a good tool for serious winter duty for those who are 'Squatched. Might swap the fender flares when you mount the winter wheels to look less silly *if you care about that*.

Now where I am, a big enough storm to justify this setup comes along every 5-10 years, but I'd love to run this setup in the Rockies.

Kenda Klever R/T KR601 LT35/10.50R17

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenda-Kl...wb-bYhR3FfMLkJqhS-ge4XYb4zOncXMcaAi_8EALw_wcB
Sponsored