Sponsored

Educate me. Pizza cutter vs Sasquach style. Pros and cons.

gmcul8r

Badlands
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, International Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Am I the only one that has never heard someone refer to tires as pizza cutters?

1603291974820.gif
I haven't heard that term used to describe modern radial tires either,,, just vintage. They simply just don't make "pizza cutters" like they used to. Here are my 700r15's next to a 30x9.5 and a 35x12.5.

Ford Bronco Educate me.  Pizza cutter vs Sasquach style.  Pros and cons. 1603302323574

tomdaniel

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can always throw on chains. But you can't make your pizza cutters any fatter. Get the Sasquatch.

jled

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Pizza cutters track better ( don't pull towards ruts and road grooves) than fatter tires.

They also air down better in sand and mud, for a given diameter, than fat tires. Due to less "plowing" as you drive through the soft stuff.

This is why *most* military vehicles have pizza cutters.

Fat tires are better for rock crawling, gravel roads, high speed dirt and other places where the fatter tire will give more traction due to the greater rubber contact patch for a given deflation hight.
yep

also pizza cutter more turning radius and less rub than wide tires. NOTE most pmetric (33/35) not wide (isually 10.5-11.5) like true atandard 33/35 whixxh typically 12.50

issues per rub during travel of tire then involve turning to full lock -

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You can always throw on chains. But you can't make your pizza cutters any fatter. Get the Sasquatch.
This is actually one of my concerns with the Squatch. I'm thinking the 315's will be crowd suspension components too much to allow chain clearance. Also, I already own three sets of chains that will fit up to 285 width 33's, if I Squatch it means $200+ to buy some gawd awful heavy chains.

If I get a base, I'll Squatch it, but chaining and towing with the RV will suffer.

If I get BB with rear locker only chaining and towing will be OK but I'll sacrifice off road ability from my current Rubicon.

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is this "snow" stuff you speak of?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is actually one of my concerns with the Squatch. I'm thinking the 315's will be crowd suspension components too much to allow chain clearance. Also, I already own three sets of chains that will fit up to 285 width 33's, if I Squatch it means $200+ to buy some gawd awful heavy chains.

If I get a base, I'll Squatch it, but chaining and towing with the RV will suffer.

If I get BB with rear locker only chaining and towing will be OK but I'll sacrifice off road ability from my current Rubicon.
Sounds like you are contemplating the Skinny Squatch. Swap those 35s for 33s.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m going to order a Base Manual Sasquatch 4 door. I really dig everything, but I’m not a huge fan of the tire size. I, personally, wouldn’t choose that size for my needs. I’m going to give them a shot because Ford spec’ed them and they know things I don’t. However, if I don’t like them, my Plan B is to replace the 315/70R17s with 285/75R17s. They aren’t “pizza cutters” really, but they are skinnier, same width as badlands spec. The 285/75r17 Cooper AT3 specs out to 33.8” tall, 11.5” section width and 9.1” tread width, and weight 57lbs, whereas the 315/70R17 specs out to 34.3” tall, 12.5” section width, and 10.1” tread width, and weigh 62lbs. So theoretically I’ll lose about a quarter inch of ground clearance (negligible IMHO) and lose 5lbs a tire, and I think it’ll look good, maybe have better on road characteristics.

here’s a link to the 315s
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...odel=Discoverer+AT3+XLT&partnum=17SR7DAXLTRWL

here’s a link to the 285s
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...eModel=Discoverer+AT3+XLT&partnum=875SR7DAXLT

FWIW I’m really digging this truck, I know some people are upset about color choices etc. but so far I’m very happy with everything I see.

*Edit because I typed 385 instead of 285

Last edited:

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've enjoyed all the responses here, thank y'all. I know that I'm a pizza cutter guy now for several reasons and I'll never be in any kind of deep mud. I'm getting closer to understanding the best fit for myself but I have a few questions. I'll start with my priorities.

1. Fuel economy(yes, I know, but this is my commuter)
2. Highway driving safety / less hydroplaning / better steering response, etc
3. Prefer a better steering response than squishy vague handling
3. Only off-roading will be on the beach pretty much

It's looking more and more like I'll have a base that comes with steel 16"x7" wheels and 255/70R16 (street) tires.

My first thought was to get some alloy wheels to save on gas because they weigh less, but when I did the math it didn't make that much of a difference even if it saved 2-3 mpg. That being said, when I replace the tires would getting a 32.5-33" tires for my 16's result in kind of sloppy handling as the side walls are now bigger? Would it be advisable to get 18" wheels to keep the sidewall small and just keep the width narrow like the stock 7"?

Yes, I know I'm overthinking this but I'm just using this to learn as I only have car/tire/wheel experience with normal cars and sporty cars, never their effects on trucks.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These guys are able to get fat tires through the snow...

Not exactly daily drivers in that group but that is pretty impressive.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I haven't heard that term used to describe modern radial tires either,,, just vintage. They simply just don't make "pizza cutters" like they used to. Here are my 700r15's next to a 30x9.5 and a 35x12.5.

Ford Bronco Educate me.  Pizza cutter vs Sasquach style.  Pros and cons. 1603302323574

You are correct. Just because the tires are not fat mudders does not mean they are pizza cutters. A pizza cutter has to be tall and skinny like the one in the middle. They are actually pretty hard to come by anymore. They look great on vintage jeeps, bronco's, and scouts.
Nice Scout by the way.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Floridians like big tires in the sand

OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You are correct. Just because the tires are not fat mudders does not mean they are pizza cutters. A pizza cutter has to be tall and skinny like the one in the middle. They are actually pretty hard to come by anymore. They look great on vintage jeeps, bronco's, and scouts.
Nice Scout by the way.
Yeah, i like that one on the right.

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It would be easy enough to put 33s on a Squatched Bronco if the 35s didn't perform as desired, right? What would have to be done in terms of calibration? Forgive my ignorance when it comes to things like this. Never been off-roading before but looking forward to it.
Sponsored