Sponsored

Educate me. Pizza cutter vs Sasquach style. Pros and cons.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
It would be easy enough to put 33s on a Squatched Bronco if the 35s didn't perform as desired, right? What would have to be done in terms of calibration? Forgive my ignorance when it comes to things like this. Never been off-roading before but looking forward to it.
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/...NiwBh0YO6XgodlvG_ES2Cn8DE08uM-GBoC8yIQAvD_BwE

You can calibrate it while getting a tune or there were a number of computer calibration options that we're terribly expensive though the last time I did that was like 20 years ago.
Sponsored

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It would be easy enough to put 33s on a Squatched Bronco if the 35s didn't perform as desired, right? What would have to be done in terms of calibration? Forgive my ignorance when it comes to things like this. Never been off-roading before but looking forward to it.
speedometer calibration would do it. Years ago when I worked at Mercedes Benz, there was the ability to “code”, manually,settings in some ECUs. Now everything is SCN coding, which is held on databases in the cloud, and manually setting coding is not allowed with dealer tools. Otherwise, I would *imagine* dealers could do this. But I am very certain there will be aftermarket tools that will do the same thing. Haven’t searched but I would imagine there are companies that make these for F150s and Rangers, 5star tuning can probably do it.

TL;DR speedo recal and you’ll be good to go. For sure the Badlands use the same gear and 33s so it should work really well.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've enjoyed all the responses here, thank y'all. I know that I'm a pizza cutter guy now for several reasons and I'll never be in any kind of deep mud. I'm getting closer to understanding the best fit for myself but I have a few questions. I'll start with my priorities.

1. Fuel economy(yes, I know, but this is my commuter)
2. Highway driving safety / less hydroplaning / better steering response, etc
3. Prefer a better steering response than squishy vague handling
3. Only off-roading will be on the beach pretty much

It's looking more and more like I'll have a base that comes with steel 16"x7" wheels and 255/70R16 (street) tires.

My first thought was to get some alloy wheels to save on gas because they weigh less, but when I did the math it didn't make that much of a difference even if it saved 2-3 mpg. That being said, when I replace the tires would getting a 32.5-33" tires for my 16's result in kind of sloppy handling as the side walls are now bigger? Would it be advisable to get 18" wheels to keep the sidewall small and just keep the width narrow like the stock 7"?

Yes, I know I'm overthinking this but I'm just using this to learn as I only have car/tire/wheel experience with normal cars and sporty cars, never their effects on trucks.

Thanks in advance.
maybe these?
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....5QR6DSTM&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I had 215/85R16s on my 1996 LR Discovery. They were about 30.5” tall and skinny. Some others used 235/85R16 on their Discoveries. I read that some people thought the sidewall/width ratio made the truck more vague feeling, but I really liked my setup. Drove from FL to AL (12 hr drive) a dozen times and it always had manners. Did very well off road too. They were Goodyear Duratracs, E load.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’m going to order a Base Manual Sasquatch 4 door. I really dig everything, but I’m not a huge fan of the tire size. I, personally, wouldn’t choose that size for my needs. I’m going to give them a shot because Ford spec’ed them and they know things I don’t. However, if I don’t like them, my Plan B is to replace the 315/70R17s with 285/75R17s. They aren’t “pizza cutters” really, but they are skinnier, same width as badlands spec. The 385/75r17 Cooper AT3 specs out to 33.8” tall, 11.5” section width and 9.1” tread width, and weight 57lbs, whereas the 315/70R17 specs out to 34.3” tall, 12.5” section width, and 10.1” tread width, and weigh 62lbs. So theoretically I’ll lose about a quarter inch of ground clearance (negligible IMHO) and lose 5lbs a tire, and I think it’ll look good, maybe have better on road characteristics.

here’s a link to the 315s
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...odel=Discoverer+AT3+XLT&partnum=17SR7DAXLTRWL

here’s a link to the 285s
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...eModel=Discoverer+AT3+XLT&partnum=875SR7DAXLT

FWIW I’m really digging this truck, I know some people are upset about color choices etc. but so far I’m very happy with everything I see.
Maybe better on road, to a point, but they are load range E, so the will have a harsher ride.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
maybe these?
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Cooper&tireModel=Discoverer+S/T+Maxx&partnum=585QR6DSTM&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I had 215/85R16s on my 1996 LR Discovery. They were about 30.5” tall and skinny. Some others used 235/85R16 on their Discoveries. I read that some people thought the sidewall/width ratio made the truck more vague feeling, but I really liked my setup. Drove from FL to AL (12 hr drive) a dozen times and it always had manners. Did very well off road too. They were Goodyear Duratracs, E load.
Yup that was about the size that I was guessing would be good too, but I don't need the light truck rating. Those are some serious looking sipings!

I loved the mid 90s Discos. Man I wanted one with I was younger but looking back on it I'm glad I didn't land one as the repair bills etc. would have eaten me alive I bet. Ah, that rounded safari glass in the rear...

Sponsored

WatchYourSix

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
speedometer calibration would do it. Years ago when I worked at Mercedes Benz, there was the ability to “code”, manually,settings in some ECUs. Now everything is SCN coding, which is held on databases in the cloud, and manually setting coding is not allowed with dealer tools. Otherwise, I would *imagine* dealers could do this. But I am very certain there will be aftermarket tools that will do the same thing. Haven’t searched but I would imagine there are companies that make these for F150s and Rangers, 5star tuning can probably do it.

TL;DR speedo recal and you’ll be good to go. For sure the Badlands use the same gear and 33s so it should work really well.
If I do the stock 33s instead of Squatch BL should I stick with the 4.46?

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe better on road, to a point, but they are load range E, so the will have a harsher ride.
yes they are E load. They may be more stiff and unforgiving, and that’s fine. Just thinking that the 5lbs per wheel, while rotating, will be easier to stop at speed and be a little easier on the brakes. All speculation on my part though.
Yup that was about the size that I was guessing would be good too, but I don't need the light truck rating. Those are some serious looking sipings!

I loved the mid 90s Discos. Man I wanted one with I was younger but looking back on it I'm glad I didn't land one as the repair bills etc. would have eaten me alive I bet. Ah, that rounded safari glass in the rear...
man, mine was bulletproof. Never had an issue with it. Sold it and never should have, I really wished I didn’t.

I put the same spec springs on it as the Camel Trophy trucks, and the tires were about the same size. Replaced all the suspension bushings/shocks/brakes etc. I really liked it.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I put the same spec springs on it as the Camel Trophy trucks, and the tires were about the same size. Replaced all the suspension bushings/shocks/brakes etc. I really liked it.
That's awesome. The Disco was the first off-roading type vehicle I had interest in, and not much since until the Bronco. I drove a lot of Humvees and big 6x6 off-roading military trucks but haven't done any actual off-roading as a civilian with my own vehicle. I'm already nervous I'll break shit like I'd occasionally do with Humvees lol.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If I do the stock 33s instead of Squatch BL should I stick with the 4.46?
Ah I wish I could give you a good answer, I could only speculate. I think the BD has 32s and that gear? I may be wrong. If so, I would imagine that would be alright just because it’s close to factory specs.

I’m sure someone else could give you good insight.

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's awesome. The Disco was the first off-roading type vehicle I had interest in, and not much since until the Bronco. I drove a lot of Humvees and big 6x6 off-roading military trucks but haven't done any actual off-roading as a civilian with my own vehicle. I'm already nervous I'll break shit like I'd occasionally do with Humvees lol.
If you have a chance at a 1996 or 1995 do not let it get away! They were/are imperfect and have character. I see a lot of that with the Bronco too. Simple and rugged, doesn’t need to be extremely capable, just robust.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you have a chance at a 1996 or 1995 do not let it get away! They were/are imperfect and have character. I see a lot of that with the Bronco too. Simple and rugged, doesn’t need to be extremely capable, just robust.
Thank you but my wife would kill me. I just got her to accept me getting a base Bronco lol. I pretty much have to get a notarized agreement for me to run the Bronco into the ground for her to be okay with it but I'm happy to do so.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There has been a lot of good advice on here but some of the advice is only good to a point. Generally speaking, more surface contact with the pavement is better, which means wider tires are generally better in most circumstances, even in hard-packed snow and ice. If the snow you are driving on is slushy or loose, then narrower tires with lots of siping are better. I have never had any issues driving on ice (which is mostly what we get in Missouri) and snow on 35" X/T tires. People will be just fine with the Max Traction tires that come with the Sasquatch package.
Your the first post I've seen that calls the New Goodyear M/T Territory tire Max Traction which is what they ARE, the M/T doesn't stand for Mud tires on the SAS package ?

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Found a Walmart 35x10.50R17s for $200, and pinned for studs, looks like a good tool for serious winter duty for those who are 'Squatched. Might swap the fender flares when you mount the winter wheels to look less silly *if you care about that*.

Now where I am, a big enough storm to justify this setup comes along every 5-10 years, but I'd love to run this setup in the Rockies.

Kenda Klever R/T KR601 LT35/10.50R17

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenda-Kl...wb-bYhR3FfMLkJqhS-ge4XYb4zOncXMcaAi_8EALw_wcB
Not a bad looking tire ?

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m going to order a Base Manual Sasquatch 4 door. I really dig everything, but I’m not a huge fan of the tire size. I, personally, wouldn’t choose that size for my needs. I’m going to give them a shot because Ford spec’ed them and they know things I don’t. However, if I don’t like them, my Plan B is to replace the 315/70R17s with 285/75R17s. They aren’t “pizza cutters” really, but they are skinnier, same width as badlands spec. The 285/75r17 Cooper AT3 specs out to 33.8” tall, 11.5” section width and 9.1” tread width, and weight 57lbs, whereas the 315/70R17 specs out to 34.3” tall, 12.5” section width, and 10.1” tread width, and weigh 62lbs. So theoretically I’ll lose about a quarter inch of ground clearance (negligible IMHO) and lose 5lbs a tire, and I think it’ll look good, maybe have better on road characteristics.

here’s a link to the 315s
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...odel=Discoverer+AT3+XLT&partnum=17SR7DAXLTRWL

here’s a link to the 285s
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...eModel=Discoverer+AT3+XLT&partnum=875SR7DAXLT

FWIW I’m really digging this truck, I know some people are upset about color choices etc. but so far I’m very happy with everything I see.

*Edit because I typed 385 instead of 285
Great idea, except you can't get the manual with the Base 4-door. Try the B&P and you'll see what I mean.