Sponsored

Educate me. Pizza cutter vs Sasquach style. Pros and cons.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've enjoyed all the responses here, thank y'all. I know that I'm a pizza cutter guy now for several reasons and I'll never be in any kind of deep mud. I'm getting closer to understanding the best fit for myself but I have a few questions. I'll start with my priorities.

1. Fuel economy(yes, I know, but this is my commuter)
2. Highway driving safety / less hydroplaning / better steering response, etc
3. Prefer a better steering response than squishy vague handling
3. Only off-roading will be on the beach pretty much

It's looking more and more like I'll have a base that comes with steel 16"x7" wheels and 255/70R16 (street) tires.

My first thought was to get some alloy wheels to save on gas because they weigh less, but when I did the math it didn't make that much of a difference even if it saved 2-3 mpg. That being said, when I replace the tires would getting a 32.5-33" tires for my 16's result in kind of sloppy handling as the side walls are now bigger? Would it be advisable to get 18" wheels to keep the sidewall small and just keep the width narrow like the stock 7"?

Yes, I know I'm overthinking this but I'm just using this to learn as I only have car/tire/wheel experience with normal cars and sporty cars, never their effects on trucks.

Thanks in advance.
You can never over think in this forum LOL, always good to ask questions even if you get 20 different answers?
Sponsored

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll say it slower: you can't build a Base 4-door with a manual.

But you can build a Base (which comes with the automatic by default) with Sasquatch. And you can get a manual transmission with the Sasquatch, eventually.

Just not a BaseManSquatch.
yeah not too worried about B&P, Iā€™ll end up buying a manual Sasquatch ??

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Found a Walmart 35x10.50R17s for $200, and pinned for studs, looks like a good tool for serious winter duty for those who are 'Squatched. Might swap the fender flares when you mount the winter wheels to look less silly *if you care about that*.

Now where I am, a big enough storm to justify this setup comes along every 5-10 years, but I'd love to run this setup in the Rockies.

Kenda Klever R/T KR601 LT35/10.50R17

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kenda-Kl...wb-bYhR3FfMLkJqhS-ge4XYb4zOncXMcaAi_8EALw_wcB
Interesting tire and tread, what concerns me is the tread seems really shallow, meaning short tread life? When I do a deep dive in google for the Kenda warranty on this model, nothing comes up, not even on Kenda's website, so that is even more concerning?

Sponsored

Burnsy949

Badlands
First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Rubicon, 2018 Volkswagen Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2103 Rubicon and ended up going with Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75 17s. They measure out at 33.86ā€ high and 11.26ā€œ wide. So just under 1ā€ shorter than comparable 35ā€ tires and more than an inch narrower. I didnā€˜t want to add wheel spacers or have to buy wheels with a different offset like so many others have to with Jeeps. The best part is the spare fits on the back (slightly aired down) without a special bumper or reinforced or offset spare mount. I saved thousands of dollars in modifications doing this (I did need a 2.5ā€ lift, but avoided a new rear bumper or spare mounting option, spacers or wheels which wouldā€™ve put more (unnecesaary) stress on the ball joints and suspension. I do give up just a tiny bit of ride height over 35ā€ tires (about 1/2ā€). I get no rubbing and have been really happy with these tires both on and off road. The only disappointment was that the Ridge Grappler wasnā€™t available in a C load rating when I got mine, so I have E load rating which is pretty stiff. I see they now have a C load rating option, but it is actually heavier than the E rated tire of the same size. Weird. Still way lighter than a 35x12.5ā€ tire though.

Iā€™m probably still going to order the Sasquatch package on my Badlands Bronco, but would be looking at 285/75 17s otherwise, or for a replacement tire when the 35s wear out.

I also had a 1973 Bronco with 351 Windsor and 31ā€ tires and did just fine off road for anything except difficult rock crawling.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hereā€™s another taller option, perhaps similar to 35x10.50 specs? Has advertised 11ā€ section width and 34.3ā€ height. I have no experience with the MT/R though, and read some conflicting reviews.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+MT/R+with+Kevlar&partnum=78QR7WMTRK
The MTR has conflicting reviews due to the kevlar cords.

Every once in a while, a batch will go out that either isn't round on delivery, or won't stay balanced, and eventually go egg shaped.

Internets consensus has to do with the very nature of Kevlar itself.
Kevlar works as body armor because it is strong, but slippery.
The fibers shift and stretch, but don't break.

However, having tire cords that can shift around inside the tire and bunch up, is bad juju.

Mountain Goat

Black Diamond
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 BMW 325i, '17 VW Alltrack, '20 Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not a bad looking tire ?
They seem to be popular with Jeepers looking for narrow 35s, after reading around a bit. That seems like a good indicator.

Interesting tire and tread, what concerns me is the tread seems really shallow, meaning short tread life? When I do a deep dive in google for the Kenda warranty on this model, nothing comes up, not even on Kenda's website, so that is even more concerning?
What do you expect for $200? How many times have you actually had to warranty out a tire (vs. failures from age, road hazard, misalignment, or misuse)? I know I never have in the past two decades. FWIW, Walmart has the tread depth listed as 19mm, though I suspect they meant 19/32". Either way, that's more than enough tread.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

They seem to be popular with Jeepers looking for narrow 35s, after reading around a bit. That seems like a good indicator.

What do you expect for $200? How many times have you actually had to warranty out a tire (vs. failures from age, road hazard, misalignment, or misuse)? I know I never have in the past two decades. FWIW, Walmart has the tread depth listed as 19mm, though I suspect they meant 19/32". Either way, that's more than enough tread.
I found some real life pics that make it look better.

https://www.ebay.com/i/193050405757...JpZj4tdmerrGEq262J-1zzm22wnFMrAMaAg6UEALw_wcB

s-l1600.jpg

Sponsored

bhubert

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Personally I am going to order the Bronco stock and make my modifications after market. I would rather have Ford make adjustments like the 2.7l engine. My final tire will also probably be 33-34" in diameter. At the end of the day I don't want to pay an extra $5,000 for mine to look exactly like all the others.

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On-offish topic question, was not looking to make a new thread:

If I go SAS and the next set of tires I want to go more narrow but still around 35", what are my options?

Is it 315 or bust? From what I've read the SAS rim is 0.5" wider but I don't know what tire sizes will accommodate that wheel.

I like the wheel and slight lift but don't know if i want to stick with that tire size after the first set is done.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base

If I go SAS and the next set of tires I want to go more narrow but still around 35", what are my options?

Is it 315 or bust? From what I've read the SAS rim is 0.5" wider but I don't know what tire sizes will accommodate that wheel.

I like the wheel and slight lift but don't know if i want to stick with that tire size after the first set is done.
I'm currently running 35x10.50R17.
That is about 275/90R17 in metric size.

They would be fine on rims up to 8.5" wide.
9" and you are running the risk of having the rim bead be unprotected.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Take a look at tiresize.com

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Mountain Goat
These are the exact tires I'm running right now.

I can confirm that the Kenda RTs are awesome.
They are the best 4x4 tires I've owned.
The only complaint is that the soft tire compound means regular 3k rotations and a shorter life than most top brands.
Tire life for me is looking like it will be about 30K.
Half the +60,000 miles people often get out of Toyo RTs.

I will get the Kendas again if the Sasquatch Terrain tires are loud, or hold small stones in the tread as if they are gold nuggets, like BFG AT2 tires do.
Or if the 12.50 width makes the Bronco chase ruts and grooves more than the 33" Wildtrak and smaller tires.

Simply put, if the GY Territory tires have to be *really* good to stay.
Sponsored