Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright so I have a BL reserved and unforunately am likely dropping down to a BD due to budgeting and having a baby on the way. After reading a few different threads im curious about a couple of things.
I love the stance of the stock BL. I think its perfect for being a daily and just looks like a bronco should.

1. Could I achieve the stance of the BL on a BD by upgrading the suspension and adding 33's without having to do anything with the gear ratios and speedometer tuning?

2. Am I wrong to assume that the front axle size difference between the two trims really doesn't make that much of a difference unless doing more aggressive off roading such as rock crawling?

I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on some things, but I'm pretty new to the world of actual off roading and the mechanics behind it. I'd appreciate any insight and wisdom anyone would be willing to throw my way.
Sponsored

Firefly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F250 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Gears are the same on both, if automatic. Front differential on BD is fine as an open diff. It would only be a week link if it had a locker.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you change the tire size, the speedo will be off, unless you calibrate it for the new tire size. It remains to be seen how difficult that will be though i assume it'll be possible based on the large range of sizes available.

We people rag on the lower end front differential but you'd need to be pretty hard on it for it to break. And in the end, your CV shafts will be the weak point, not the diff.

OP
OP
BroncoHUD

BroncoHUD

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you change the tire size, the speedo will be off, unless you calibrate it for the new tire size. It remains to be seen how difficult that will be though i assume it'll be possible based on the large range of sizes available.

We people rag on the lower end front differential but you'd need to be pretty hard on it for it to break. And in the end, your CV shafts will be the weak point, not the diff.
But even still though for that to happen I'd have to beat the hell out of it. I don't foresee myself doing anything overly aggressive but I do want to get into overlanding in the future. I'd imagine the BD would be an excellent entry level vehicle based on alot of YouTube and forum discussions I've read.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
But even still though for that to happen I'd have to beat the hell out of it. I don't foresee myself doing anything overly aggressive but I do want to get into overlanding in the future. I'd imagine the BD would be an excellent entry level vehicle based on alot of YouTube and forum discussions I've read.
The BD will be great for overlanding. The only real thing you're missing is the swaybar disconnect which is helpful (but not critical) regardless what type of off-roading you do.

Sponsored

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

You should be able to do it with ForScan like on the Ranger. Here's a whole thread on it if you're board and want to look into it. I have a Livernois tune and you can do it though the MyCal very easily in about 5 minutes.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/forscan-speedo-calibration-for-larger-tires.4200/page-7

Akinmx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150, 2011 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also considered the BD and 33's but I just think the BD grill is hideous. And no signature lighting either. Really, IMO the BD grill and the base have the worst grills. I know we can eventually swap them out but after buying new rims/tires for the 33's and swapping out a grill and adding signature lighting... it would cost the same or more than the BL that comes stock with all those things.

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright so I have a BL reserved and unforunately am likely dropping down to a BD due to budgeting and having a baby on the way. After reading a few different threads im curious about a couple of things.
I love the stance of the stock BL. I think its perfect for being a daily and just looks like a bronco should.

1. Could I achieve the stance of the BL on a BD by upgrading the suspension and adding 33's without having to do anything with the gear ratios and speedometer tuning?

2. Am I wrong to assume that the front axle size difference between the two trims really doesn't make that much of a difference unless doing more aggressive off roading such as rock crawling?

I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on some things, but I'm pretty new to the world of actual off roading and the mechanics behind it. I'd appreciate any insight and wisdom anyone would be willing to throw my way.
Yes and yes to the easy questions. Sounds like rock crawling isn't in your future, so there's nothing wrong with your build.

The Badlands has a bit different and stiffer suspension; and that suspension raises it about 1.2" taller than a BD. You can achieve that pretty cheap and easy with a leveling kit, typically 1.5" front and 0.5" rear (about $200 + labor) or with a spring lift kit ($500 to $1200, depending on the type of kit + labor).

Any more questions, send me a pm, and I will have time to answer again, tomorrow.

andi

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you want stance, going base and Sasquatch will do it,
Comes to about 40k

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes and yes to the easy questions. Sounds like rock crawling isn't in your future, so there's nothing wrong with your build.

The Badlands has a bit different and stiffer suspension; and that suspension raises it about 1.2" taller than a BD. You can achieve that pretty cheap and easy with a leveling kit, typically 1.5" front and 0.5" rear (about $200 + labor) or with a spring lift kit ($500 to $1200, depending on the type of kit + labor).

Any more questions, send me a pm, and I will have time to answer again, tomorrow.
Not sure if you'll be able to answer this at this point, but is the general consensus that a lift will be needed to add 33's to the BD? Or are people leaning towards it shouldn't be a problem?

Sponsored

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I can't imagine an issue going from a 32" to a 33" or a 265/70 vs 285/70.

If it was me though I wouldn't worry about the lift, I think the better stance of the BL is partially because the tires are a bit wider.

So one option is to keep the height as is and get a 285/65. It should look pretty good and my guess is the difference between a BD and a BL wont be noticed unless they are parked side by side.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I can't imagine an issue going from a 32" to a 33" or a 265/70 vs 285/70.

If it was me though I wouldn't worry about the lift, I think the better stance of the BL is partially because the tires are a bit wider.

So one option is to keep the height as is and get a 285/65. It should look pretty good and my guess is the difference between a BD and a BL wont be noticed unless they are parked side by side.
I agree, just putting on 33s is going to look so close to the BL that most won't notice. If I go BD I will have the dealer do it before I leave to take it home for the first time.

OP
OP
BroncoHUD

BroncoHUD

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also considered the BD and 33's but I just think the BD grill is hideous. And no signature lighting either. Really, IMO the BD grill and the base have the worst grills. I know we can eventually swap them out but after buying new rims/tires for the 33's and swapping out a grill and adding signature lighting... it would cost the same or more than the BL that comes stock with all those things.
I definitely agree the lack of signature lights is a huge let down. But the grill has been growing on me. I like it more than the BB and OBX. I think I can live with them for the time being. If i could afford to id just go BL, High pckg with a hard top and 2.7 and call it good. Lol

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure if you'll be able to answer this at this point, but is the general consensus that a lift will be needed to add 33's to the BD? Or are people leaning towards it shouldn't be a problem?
i don’t think we know for sure if it has to be added. My guess is no... but the question was, and I tend to agree, that the stance after adding 33’s or 35’s will look best with a mild lift.

Remember that when you increase tire size that much, you will have to take a look at your Bump Stops, to be assured that you have travel before bottoming out.
Sponsored