85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I recommend that you Google "series hybrid", "extended range EV", or "EV range extender". The kind that you're thinking of is a parallel hybrid, which is only one type.
Never really cared much about them in an automotive setting, just not the "normal hybrid" a person normally thinks of.

It is nothing new, ships have been using the same theory (but mainly so the engines can run at their ideal RPM and the shaft speed can be variable) since WWI. Steam or gas turbines and/or diesels running generators that run electric motors turning the screws. I think locomotives are similar also.

No plug in or really any battery for reserve with them though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-electric_transmission

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_electric_propulsion
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Never really cared much about them in an automotive setting, just not the "normal hybrid" a person normally thinks of.

It is nothing new, ships have been using the same theory (but mainly so the engines can run at their ideal RPM and the shaft speed can be variable) since WWI. Steam or gas turbines and/or diesels running generators that run electric motors turning the screws. I think locomotives are similar also.

No plug in or really any battery for reserve with them though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-electric_transmission

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_electric_propulsion
So it's not how hybrids work, but you then give a whole list of hybrids working this way?

Also there is zero reason that I can see why you couldn't have plug-in or battery reserve on a car with a series-hybrid setup.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So it's not how hybrids work, but you then give a whole list of hybrids working this way?
Also there is zero reason that I can see why you couldn't have plug-in or battery reserve on a car with a series-hybrid setup.
I assumed they would. Ships and the like have no need for it, they basically use it for a simple variable transmission.

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you think there will be an electric Bronco in the next couple years and if so would you wait for it? I see a lot of new electric vehicles. Also, I see a lot of people worried about the gas shortage/prices and the mpg the Bronco has. Just thought I’d divert some focus away from the sadness of all the delays.

sanford

Black Diamond
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Subaru Crosstrek, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

yes

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you think there will be an electric Bronco in the next couple years and if so would you wait for it? I see a lot of new electric vehicles. Also, I see a lot of people worried about the gas shortage/prices and the mpg the Bronco has. Just thought I’d divert some focus away from the sadness of all the delays.
My car is on it's last legs so I wouldn't wait, but I'd definitely think about trading my Bronco in for a plugin hybrid version like the Jeep 4xe. My commute is only a few miles and the battery would be more than enough to get me back and forth from work for a couple of days.

Lewisj41

Heritage
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

After seeing the F150 and it's "Frunk" this is making me more anxious for an Bronco EV, most notably a 2DR. This would solves the issue for storage space in those vacations and still keep the nostalgia of a 2DR.

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After seeing the F150 and it's "Frunk" this is making me more anxious for an Bronco EV, most notably a 2DR. This would solves the issue for storage space in those vacations and still keep the nostalgia of a 2DR.
I know!! That would be so much room. Plus I got an electric moped recently and I love the way it handles and I’m itching for an electric vehicle now

Lewisj41

Heritage
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Just my own bystander opinion but there could be an underlining message that the Bronco showed up during their F150 release? Ford has a subtle way of giving hints. Sometimes we speculate more then should but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Perhaps they're waiting to see how the Jeep 4ex does in sales-in the month of April it was the second most sold vehicle after the Corvette according to this link....pay attention Ford!

https://insideevs.com/news/507794/jeep-wrangler4xe-april-sales-report/

Sponsored

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just my own bystander opinion but there could be an underlining message that the Bronco showed up during their F150 release? Ford has a subtle way of giving hints. Sometimes we speculate more then should but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Perhaps they're waiting to see how the Jeep 4ex does in sales-in the month of April it was the second most sold vehicle after the Corvette according to this link....pay attention Ford!

https://insideevs.com/news/507794/jeep-wrangler4xe-april-sales-report/
That Jeep plug in hybrid is pretty tempting, but not at 48k.

Lewisj41

Heritage
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Hope Bronco EV has 1000 mile range and 0-60 in 2.3 seconds. $48K same price as 4xe

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm warming up to the EV option on the bronco. The bronco already has poor range and I don't think it's big enough for most my backcountry trips.

But I could use an EV bronco as my daily driver to save gas and speed around town, the beach, etc, with the EV acceleration. Then use my HD to tow it to the trailhead for silent off-roading and camp power with the battery, and still have my HD available for longer road trips/hunting trips cargo and towing where EVs struggle. If prices for the bronco stay similar for an EV and the $7500 tax credit stays in place then you could be looking at a pretty sweet rig for fairly cheap.

Lewisj41

Heritage
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I'm warming up to the EV option on the bronco. The bronco already has poor range and I don't think it's big enough for most my backcountry trips.

But I could use an EV bronco as my daily driver to save gas and speed around town, the beach, etc, with the EV acceleration. Then use my HD to tow it to the trailhead for silent off-roading and camp power with the battery, and still have my HD available for longer road trips/hunting trips cargo and towing where EVs struggle. If prices for the bronco stay similar for an EV and the $7500 tax credit stays in place then you could be looking at a pretty sweet rig for fairly cheap.
Senate is working to increase these tax incentives to upto $12,500.
Sponsored