First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The EV industry has lobbied and marketed to eliminate "range" as a concern. They've done an excellent job...
However, range is still an issue....

My experiences as a Tesla Model X owner:

- Tesla has a crossover SUV with 300 mile range (which is great, right?) that has a 5,000 pound towing capacity. But, if you use it to actually tow a small trailer, the range drops to less than 100 miles.... 90 minutes into your vacation and you have a dead battery. You're looking for a charging station within an hour of starting your trip....
- Range is decreased up to 40% on cold days in all EV's. The battery tech has issues in cold temps. How has Tesla, Nissan, and others mitigated and spun this concern? They have a message that pops up that speeds must be kept below a certain level to get normal range... the fine print...all of a sudden, I'm the slowest car on the road.
- The new Lightning F150 has a range of a mere 230 miles in standard format. Wanna go from Atlanta to Orlando to visit Mickey with the kids? Nope. You aint gonna make it. Not even half way. That's a 3 charge trip in an EV. (Home, road, road, and hope the hotel has a charger) Some Hiltons have chargers but I've seen gas (ICE) cars parked in the spots...as they are close to the door. It NOT a crime to park in an EV spot without an EV vehicle. You might get called an ICEhole, but that's about it. What's more common is the typical hotel guest that plug in upon arrival, taking the charging spot all night, and go to bed...
- With fuel, you can get gas within 20 miles of empty almost anywhere in most of the USA...almost. (I'm sure someone from North Dakota or Nevada will chime in here, as there are areas where gas stations are few and far between) But, as Sam Kinison once suggested to starving Africans: "We have deserts in America... No body fing lives there!"
- With an EV, when you have 100km or remaining power, your internal stress starts to climb...as you wonder where you can get a charge in a safe area. Or, what happens if the interstate backs up for an hour? Your attention to driving is diverted to searching the console for a recharging station. What will you do with your time while its charging.... You can't sit in a hot car with no AC. Will you and your family be safe waiting for an hour for an 80% partial charge? BTW, Cracker Barrel has and is removing their chargers... So much for the long lunch partial recharge.
- Level 3 chargers can provide a partial charge in 30 minutes; however, there are far fewer L3 chargers available and the biggest issue is there are no industry standards. Chevy can't use them. Only certain Tesla's can use them. Also, they indicate right on the charger, "Cold weather requires a longer charging interval". Thus, they are only capable of a partial charge in 30 minutes under ideal conditions.
- Stated range and charging capacities are as of the EV being new. Every time you charge your EV, your capacity is diminished. Although, its not by much and I haven't had the X long enough to tell if its a real concern.
- Crime. EV charging stations have become an easy target. They are not monitored. Thus, skimmers are being installed by criminals at an increasing rate. If the POS terminal doesn't have a tap or wave type terminal, I will not use it. Anything requiring you to insert your card... and odds are good its getting skimmed. Also, muggings are up at EV stations as owners make easy targets while they wait for a charge. Best to have a home and work charger and just use the EV for your daily commute.
- Finally, this one is kinda weird, but my kids refuse to get out of my Model X at school due to gull wing doors.... Little issues are big issues for youngsters... they think the doors create too much attention and are embarrassing...
- Its a fugazi folks. EV's are great for the 9 to 5er on a daily commute with a garage and home charger. But, EV's in recreation and long trips are a long way off. BTW, the Cybertruck, EVHummer, and F150 Lightning will NOT fit in your garage. Thus, you will have a high voltage power cords strung across your driveway....
- EV's might be a great idea for multi-vehicle families that can also have a traditional ICE vehicle for what really matters...

Tesla Model-X owner....
Sponsored

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't think we are there yet or will be there both grid and battery deck for electric to go wholesale in the next decade. I do think they have a niche product that has a place in the market.

Here is the setup I would love based on what is available today.

Put the Ford Power boost hybrid engine in an F250 Tremor, with Jeep 4XE type electric only runs of about 50 miles range for around town and home Depot runs.
That's your haul vehicle. Then make a street legal scaled down Jeep/Bronco that's all electric that can be hauled in the bed of the truck and charged off the power boost generator. Give it 100 mile range. Basically a glorified side by side. Can use at the ranch, the backcountry as a side by side and super small and maneuverable around town. Steet legal so no restrictions on where it can go. And todays tech or slightly improved tech could allow this.

Then wait multiple decades for improved battery tech and grid upgrades to occur.

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Imo the "bronco sport" should have came out as a EV vehicle. And not what it is today.

rivasrubicon

Raptor
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Genesis G70, 2018 Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This is what I’d want eventually and wouldn’t be shocked if we got a Warthog with bigger tt V6 and hybrid powertrain. Probably in the works to be released in 2 years or so. PHEVs are an excellent way to get people into electric cars without having to go full EV.
THAT IS WHAT I WANT. Lets hope it happens.

Sponsored

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just hope they make it at Blue Oval City. I like the idea of a Bronco made in Tennessee.
Sponsored