Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Electric off-road sounds fantastic.

A motor per wheel means no more differentials, no more lockers. 400 mile range on the Rivians seems like plenty for most trips too.

Obviously it doesn't work for the overland guys, but for many other off-road purposes it seems pretty sweet.
Could work for overlanding if the proper precautions are taken. Aka large solar panels for charging (I would not fix them on the roof or anything but just have them be able to be deployed when I stop for camping), and only do long trips during the summer time for the sunshine. Maybe a little generator which defeats the purpose of all electric.

personally I think a very rugged hybrid system would be best of overlanding. That way you get the reliability (respectfully) of both worlds and the range.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Could work for overlanding if the proper precautions are taken. Aka large solar panels for charging (I would not fix them on the roof or anything but just have them be able to be deployed when I stop for camping), and only do long trips during the summer time for the sunshine. Maybe a little generator which defeats the purpose of all electric.

personally I think a very rugged hybrid system would be best of overlanding. That way you get the reliability (respectfully) of both worlds and the range.
Large solar panels could provide a small increase to your range, but when you start running the numbers, you'll see that what you can potentially collect, looks pretty small compared to the energy a truck uses.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Large solar panels could provide a small increase to your range, but when you start running the numbers, you'll see that what you can potentially collect, looks pretty small compared to the energy a truck uses.
Solar on an overlander could potentially provide your power to run things like the A/C or accessories while you're stopped instead of further depleting the main battery. Useful, but not going to add to the range the actual vehicle could travel.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it weren't for all these EV's, these rich posers would still be driving Prius' and Lexus would still have their Prius as well

Yeah, us norms would of be interested if it were an ICE engine that didn't need to be charged

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The death of the mustang has zero relation to the Mach E, and Ford has repeatedly said they will never discontinue the mustang coupe. It may change, become more exclusive, etc but the mustang will continue to exist for a long time.
highly doubtful. You said yourself, the Mustang is dying because sports cars aren't selling anymore. Ford SAYS they won't discontinue it, but they've said plenty of things that aren't true

And as for letting it die, that would be suicide. Ford has far to much brand equity in the mustang name to let it wither away.
Good, let them die with the Mustang. But this sounds like you admitting that enthusiasts can drive the market... the thought that killing off a namesake that is directly aimed at enthusiasts would kill the brand? Who would've guessed??

I know all the boomers get assblasted that an SUV can be a mustang, but thatā€™s the future. The world is changing rapidly and itā€™s adapt or die. See: Mid-engine corvette, Lamborghini Urus, etc.
Ah, the "ok boomer" line, who could've seen that coming. If that's the future, then it's a future that a Mustang simply doesn't belong in, and therefore shouldn't. Mid-engine Corvette is an evolution for IMPROVEMENT, not a downgrade. And Urus is an addition to a BRAND, not a bastardization of a MODEL... I guarantee you Porsche would've lost their ass if the Cayenne has been called the "911 Cross" or something fucking pathetic like that

Offering a manual transmission does not gain them any sales. A surprising statistic: full BEVā€™s now outsell manual transmission vehicles. The effort and money needed to develop a 6MT, for a car that they decided wasnā€™t worth building in the first place, wasnā€™t worth it. Remember how the fusion did have a manual for a year or two? Iā€™m sure Ford had a HUGE take rate for that which is why it was discontinued. Yup that sounds right. Oh wait,
Oh, offering manual doesn't gain sales? Interesting... because I know that I would've already bought another Ford a couple years ago if they offered more manuals. Interesting that the new Bronco is likely being offered in manual... wonder why that is, considering that manual offerings apparently only lose customers. Guess the Bronco is just going to be a huge waste of money for Ford since they're going to sell negative units... all because of a manual transmission, huh?

Fact of the matter is offering a manual opens up more avenues to sell to more customers. Dealerships not stocking them are the primary reason they don't sell nowadays. If customers didn't HAVE to custom order a car in order to get a manual (and then HAVE to get a base model because that's all the manufacturer will offer it in), I guarantee that significantly more manuals would be sold

And I donā€™t see where ford has given up on enthusiast vehicles in any way. Brand new GT500, Bronco, next gen raptor, ST explorer and Edge. Ford is absolutely appealing to enthusiasts. Enthusiast sedans werenā€™t profitable and nobody is buying them because enthusiasts want shit used from the factory. Guess what? Raptor buyers, bronco buyers, and Explorer ST buyers are willing to buy new. People that want a diesel manual wagon are never going to take that depreciation hit in a trillion years. So they go extinct.
So a half baked performance Mustang, an SUV that shares a platform with a pickup, and a couple crossovers is considered "appealing to enthusiasts" now? Well fuck me sideways, guess I'm not an enthusiast then

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Haven't seen a commercial for a Bronco yet at the super bowl, but I have seen one for the hummer. Had a date of 5-20-20

Nickp2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER JK UNLIMITED
I do find it funny how dismissive of the Cybertruck people were... we now have the hummer and that new Kia copying itā€™s headlight

Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do find it funny how dismissive of the Cybertruck people were... we now have the hummer and that new Kia copying itā€™s headlight
What happened to your other account Nick?

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's to copy... Cybertruck is just a truck version of the 1970's Citicar with some Amazon LED strip lighting. I'd say Elon phoned that design in, but it's more like faxed it in.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cybercar (Citicar), circa 1972.
Ford Bronco Electric Hummer teaser Cybercar