Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good! Let EVs go back to Hell from whence they came. Let them burn!
tenor.gif

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford invented fire soooooooo......

OP
OP
Lab00Rat

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was educated (by a dealer...) that by 2024 all manufacturers are required to have one electric variant in each model they sell.

I really hope these destructive regulations get some pushback until the technology is more stable and less destructive than ICE technology.

Sponsored
First Name
evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, mustang, audi s5
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I was educated (by a dealer...) that by 2024 all manufacturers are required to have one electric variant in each model they sell.

I really hope these destructive regulations get some pushback until the technology is more stable and less destructive than ICE technology.
"About 174,000 vehicle fires were reported in the United States in 2015, the most recent year for which statistics are available from the National Fire Protection Association. Virtually all of those fires involved gasoline powered cars. That works out to about one every three minutes.

Tesla claims that gasoline powered cars are about 11 times more likely to catch fire than a Tesla. It says the best comparison is fires per 1 billion miles driven. It says the 300,000 Teslas on the road have been driven a total of 7.5 billion miles, and about 40 fires have been reported. That works out to five fires for every billion miles traveled, compared to a rate of 55 fires per billion miles traveled in gasoline cars." https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/companies/electric-car-fire-risk/index.html

There have been an estimated 80 electric car fires in 10 years VS. 1.74 MILLION gasoline car fires in the same period. Granted, as more electric cars are sold and driven, there will be more incidents involving electric and we will have more data to determine if electric cars are actually unsafe. Currently, the data does not support that.

I guess car fires involving gas-powered cars just aren't news worthy.

Nellman

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"About 174,000 vehicle fires were reported in the United States in 2015, the most recent year for which statistics are available from the National Fire Protection Association. Virtually all of those fires involved gasoline powered cars. That works out to about one every three minutes.

Tesla claims that gasoline powered cars are about 11 times more likely to catch fire than a Tesla. It says the best comparison is fires per 1 billion miles driven. It says the 300,000 Teslas on the road have been driven a total of 7.5 billion miles, and about 40 fires have been reported. That works out to five fires for every billion miles traveled, compared to a rate of 55 fires per billion miles traveled in gasoline cars." https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/news/companies/electric-car-fire-risk/index.html

There have been an estimated 80 electric car fires in 10 years VS. 1.74 MILLION gasoline car fires in the same period. Granted, as more electric cars are sold and driven, there will be more incidents involving electric and we will have more data to determine if electric cars are actually unsafe. Currently, the data does not support that.

This is a horrible comparison. How many different companies manufacturer gas/diesel powered cars. Tesla has most vehicles on the road logging those miles in the $50k+ range so they should be built really well. There are not a lot of model 3s made in that 300,000 range. Tesla isn't taking certain makes into account or age of vehicles into account I am sure. An older car or modified vehicle is more likely to start a fire then a new vehicle that past all safety requirements.

Tesla also controls so much of their vehicles that you can't do a lot to them. Look at all of the modifications Tesla makes to vehicles sold with OTA updates. You can make a vehicle safer by controlling the vehicle to minimize the risks from modification.

First Name
evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, mustang, audi s5
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This is a horrible comparison. How many different companies manufacturer gas/diesel powered cars. Tesla has most vehicles on the road logging those miles in the $50k+ range so they should be built really well. There are not a lot of model 3s made in that 300,000 range. Tesla isn't taking certain makes into account or age of vehicles into account I am sure. An older car or modified vehicle is more likely to start a fire then a new vehicle that past all safety requirements.

Tesla also controls so much of their vehicles that you can't do a lot to them. Look at all of the modifications Tesla makes to vehicles sold with OTA updates. You can make a vehicle safer by controlling the vehicle to minimize the risks from modification.
I'll concede that it's not a true apples to apples comparison. I'm just saying there isn't sufficient data to support an argument that electric cars are inherently more unsafe than gas powered cars. Most Tesla fires have been caused by high-impact forces which will put every gas-powered car at risk, as well. What about the spontaneous fires?

Driving is risky. Maybe we should just walk.

Here are a few headlines of luxury car makers who are having some fire issues of their own, NOT caused by accidents:

Ford Bronco Electric Might take Longer if Ford can't fix Fires Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 10.53.09 AM

Ford Bronco Electric Might take Longer if Ford can't fix Fires Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 10.47.54 AM

Ford Bronco Electric Might take Longer if Ford can't fix Fires Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 10.44.23 AM

Ford Bronco Electric Might take Longer if Ford can't fix Fires Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 10.43.31 AM

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A fire by any other name is not a fire.....

The latest issue facing EV makers is that EV fires are fueled by chemicals. Battery chemicals. Fire departments responding roadside are typically not equipped to put out a catastrophic chemical fire of the magnitude of what EVs are experiencing.

These fires are quick and large and burn for a long time. So quick, they are cooking passengers with survivable injuries before they can get out...

That is a real and present danger... regardless of statistics.

Dropping $60k on an ICE vehicle (Bronco) in 2021/2022 just got reaffirmed it the best move... given available options on the market.

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lithium is flammable when exposed to air. If those cells crack or break open, that’s all it will take to ignite.

reason 7473 why electric vehicles are a gimmick

Sponsored

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have them throw in a couple of fire extinguishers and sales will pick up.

All kidding aside I’m hoping for a hybrid diesel electric model. But I’m probably all alone on this idea

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pop history quiz, what common heritage does the EV Escape share with the Pinto?
They’re both hatchbacks... what do I win? 😉

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pop history quiz, what common heritage does the EV Escape share with the Pinto?
The rare but deadly history of bursting into flames?

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Most car fires are caused by mechanical or electrical failures.
Sponsored