Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Back in the early 2000's Ford migrated from Throttle by cable system to a throttle by wire system. What this means is that instead of a throttle cable connected to your throttle pedal that connects to your throttle body, they are now ran as an electronic signal through your PCM and a voltage change adjusts the opening of your throttle body. What does this really mean to you? Well efficiency is one, but what it also means is throttle lag. You push on that pedal and your vehicle does not immediately respond for many reasons. Mostly... MPG. It was really bad and noticeable on manual transmission Mustangs from 2005-2009's. Most people fix it with their tuner, but a market has been developed for the inbetweener that doesn't want to tune their vehicle and for various reasons. The simple fairly inexpensive solution is a throttle controller. This could be a viable solution for the Bronco, auto or manual, 2.3L or 2.7L.

American Trucks has a good video explaining the purpose of the device, as well as some scientific testing to show you how and why it works. I suspect this to be an issue to some with the Bronco. What do you all think?

Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I suspect this to be an issue to some with the Bronco. What do you all think?
It is an issue on ecoboost trucks, so Bronco should be no different. But I think you might as well increase the boost with a tuner while you are at it.

OP
OP
FourHorses

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

But I think you might as well increase the boost with a tuner while you are at it.
I don't dispute this. Many folks are nervous about doing anything that could put their warranty in jeopardy though.

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The goat modes will likely remap the throttle position sensor already.

Not to mention, this won't actually make the engine respond any faster, it will just change how much you have to move the pedal to get the same amount of throttle body movement.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the $300...

Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 Raptor, 2020 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here's my take as I have a pedal commander in both of my trucks. It's not that useful if you aren't bothered by the lag in the pedal, other than that I think it's pretty alright, I don't know why anyone would want to have most of their throttle control in the first quarter of pedal travel but I guess that option is there if you want it. Drive modes work with the pedal commander. For example in my raptor offroad mode changes the throttle map to be linear as if it was cable driven and I'd assume bronco baja mode will do the same thing. My tremor also changes the throttle in rock crawl mode but I'm not sure how. I only have the pedal commander to get rid of the lag on the street and that's it, I'm not a fan of it being turned up and having the response turned down should be a sin.😂

Sponsored

FreshKsig

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE Bronco, 22 BB Bronco, 21 Mustang Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I had the pedal commander on my Raptor. Best $300 accessory ever.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So in my cj days it was popular to put a hand throttle on the carb for setting the idle high for winching when alone or to help you walk up certain obstacles or just for simple jeep surfing shenanigans. Do these controllers have any function that allows you to set a high idle for whatever reason tickles ones fancy?

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So in my cj days it was popular to put a hand throttle on the carb for setting the idle high for winching when alone or to help you walk up certain obstacles or just for simple jeep surfing shenanigans. Do these controllers have any function that allows you to set a high idle for whatever reason tickles ones fancy?
No. They literally just alter the voltage ramp from the pedal to emulate pushing the pedal more than you are once you start pushing it.

SPT@SolerPerformance

Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
McAllister
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.solerengineering.com
Vehicle(s)
05 4Runner, 21 Mustang GT Premium, 2015 C7, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided