airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW sedan, Eruption Green OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, new to this, and debating replacing the tow rings on my standard number OBX with shackle mounts. To be honest, it’s only because they look cool. Is there a real functional difference to someone who will off-road occasionally, or am I just playing Barbie Dolls with my truck? (nttawt!) Is a tow ring and soft shackle acceptable for recovery?
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fashion statement! Get the soft shackles and a couple of regular shackles.

Edit-
2xsoft shackles
2xmetal shackles
1"x30ft kenetic rope
3"x30ft Strap
So what does the OP do with the shackles you are suggesting he buy if he doesn't get shackle mounts (his original question)?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So what does the OP do with the shackles you are suggesting he buy if he doesn't get shackle mounts (his original question)?
You can use the factory tow rings, I know I used them on my Big Bend?

OP
OP

airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW sedan, Eruption Green OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That’s kind of my question - I assume the metal shackles will still work with the rings, they’re just rotated 90 degrees and the hole is much bigger than the bolt. Does that make them unsafe?

I totally think the shackles mounts and D-Rings look better, but prioritizing functional mods first.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s kind of my question - I assume the metal shackles will still work with the rings, they’re just rotated 90 degrees and the hole is much bigger than the bolt. Does that make them unsafe?

I totally think the shackles mounts and D-Rings look better, but prioritizing functional mods first.
If the reason for buying the shackles is because you like the look then buy all means get the shackle mounts. Hands down they look better.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For the factory tow points I would use a soft shackle, keep the metal shackles if you have to attach to a hitch (usually flat and will cut the soft shackle). These should be stored in your vehicle, hanging shackles on bumpers is just a trend(looks). The regulations for storage of hoisting equipment is stored out of the weather(my real job is to enforce this, nothing like cutting up wrongly stored straps, the $100 fine is a joke). Also it can be a pain to take apart shackles after they have been tightened and stored that way. If you want the look by all means get the shackle mounts, but still use soft shackles or they will look like crap after a couple of pulls. I always use a soft shackle if I can because if it goes flying its less weight.

My take,

This is the first recovery gear/equipment in order that you should buy. You can switch the kenetic rope or strap depending on funds. For an air compressor don't need to spend big money I have some $50 Masterflows from autozone going on 10+ years.

1) Air Compressor
2) Shovel
3) 2xsoft shackles
4) 2xmetal shackles
5) 1"x30ft kinetic rope
6) 3"x30ft Strap

On the topic I am also looking at a new strap and kinetic rope, my strap is shot and my rubber band is 10 years. This list is kind of a revolving door, you never stop buying them due to time and lead foot syndrome.

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can you explain why a strap and a rope?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can you explain why a strap and a rope?
Kinetic rope is what Matts Offroad uses, it stores energy and helps multiply the force to extract a vehicle. Uses-stuck in snow, mud, sand. Good for towing a broken vehicle as it has give.

Strap is for pulling on hard surfaces or if you don't want any give. Great for pulling if you have traction. Terrible for towing vehicles, whip lash!

You can use a strap to extend a kinetic rope when needed. Both are tools that you should carry if you plan to wheel.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Kinetic rope is what Matts Offroad uses, it stores energy and helps multiply the force to extract a vehicle. Uses-stuck in snow, mud, sand. Good for towing a broken vehicle as it has give.

Strap is for pulling on hard surfaces or if you don't want any give. Great for pulling if you have traction. Terrible for towing vehicles, whip lash!

You can use a strap to extend a kinetic rope when needed. Both are tools that you should carry if you plan to wheel.
It's also important to note that kinetic ropes reduce shock loads during pulls
Sponsored