Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

• Banned
I have been making an assumption about eLSD, I was assuming on models with open 4WD that they would included eLSD standard, and if you upgrade to Sasquatch then you get mechanical but I'm not so sure if thats the case?
Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Squatch is electric lock via Hero switch on dash.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been making an assumption about eLSD, I was assuming on models with open 4WD that they would included eLSD standard, and if you upgrade to Sasquatch then you get mechanical but I'm not so sure if thats the case?
What is elsd?

OP
OP
cyberbro

cyberbro

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

• Banned

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What is elsd?
It is an open differential that uses the brakes and the ABS sensors to lock a spinning wheel so that the power is transferred to the other tire with more actual traction. It is a way of partially simulating an actual limited slip differential without the attendant cost and complexity of a real one.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Electronic Limited slip differential, it's not a mechanical diff it's software.
Ok, the traction control can act as a simulated limited slip, but it only goes so far, having to use the brake on the low traction wheel to transfer power to the wheel “on the ground”. It’s very noticeable on my F150 locked vs. traction control. Assume GOAT will be more advanced.

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is half mystery. We know we have modes.... Baja, slippery, rock crawl, etc....

We know some details but not all. The best examples of this are watching videos of rangers with the modes off-road. They use abs somewhat but not like a full locker..... That is a ranger..... Ford said on bronco sport documents that a sport could sent 100% of power to one wheel.... Meaning it's using hardcore ABS "lockers".......

We don't know. I'm skipping unknowns and going Badlands. Because locked is locked.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What is elsd?
It is an open differential that uses the brakes and the ABS sensors to lock a spinning wheel so that the power is transferred to the other tire with more actual traction. It is a way of partially simulating an actual limited slip differential without the attendant cost and complexity of a real one.
Ok, the traction control can act as a simulated limited slip, but it only goes so far, having to use the brake on the low traction wheel to transfer power to the wheel “on the ground”. It’s very noticeable on my F150 locked vs. traction control. Assume GOAT will be more advanced.
I'm going to push back a little here. It's true that the terminology has been diluted some, in general, the term "eLSD" typically refers to a limited slip design that is electronically adjustable. By that, I mean LSD hardware that responds to electronic controls. This is done a bunch of different ways, but there is a lot more to it than just the combination of an open diff and traction control.

More often than not, eLSDs have a clutch pack, and the load across the clutch is adjustable. In a few cases, the clutch pack was actually next the differential, but usually it is inside the diff (just like a conventional LSD). 15 years ago, Dana made a design that used a gerotor pump to create hydraulic pressure to compress its clutch. The electronic control was in the form of a bleed valve that allowed it to dump pressure.

Fast forward to now, the current Expedition uses an eLSD with a hydraulic pump mounted outside the axle carrier. The pump pressure is electronically governed, and works a piston on the end of the diff case. An apply plate pushes through the diff case to operate a clutch. I actually just ordered one of these this morning for benchmarking R&D work. There are also designs that use a magnetic coil to operate a ball cam, which operates the clutch. Others still use a motor and sector gear.

The bottom line here is that there are a lot of different versions out there that use actual adjustable hardware, which lets the computer change the locking effect / torque bias ratio of the differential, and do so on the fly, extremely quickly. Top model Corvettes and Camaros have used these to adjust their diff's performance and tweak it to each corner they apex on a track. OTOH, vehicles like Expedition use it to make it more stable in towing and to add to off-road capability while still maintaining good road manners.

With all of that said, Bronco does not use an eLSD in any of these forms (though it will have traction control). Basic axles have open differentials. Some packages/model include eLockers (not to be confused with eLSD), that allow the open to be locked on demand. But no eLSD.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to push back a little here. It's true that the terminology has been diluted some, in general, the term "eLSD" typically refers to a limited slip design that is electronically adjustable. By that, I mean LSD hardware that responds to electronic controls. This is done a bunch of different ways, but there is a lot more to it than just the combination of an open diff and traction control.

More often than not, eLSDs have a clutch pack, and the load across the clutch is adjustable. In a few cases, the clutch pack was actually next the differential, but usually it is inside the diff (just like a conventional LSD). 15 years ago, Dana made a design that used a gerotor pump to create hydraulic pressure to compress its clutch. The electronic control was in the form of a bleed valve that allowed it to dump pressure.

Fast forward to now, the current Expedition uses an eLSD with a hydraulic pump mounted outside the axle carrier. The pump pressure is electronically governed, and works a piston on the end of the diff case. An apply plate pushes through the diff case to operate a clutch. I actually just ordered one of these this morning for benchmarking R&D work. There are also designs that use a magnetic coil to operate a ball cam, which operates the clutch. Others still use a motor and sector gear.

The bottom line here is that there are a lot of different versions out there that use actual adjustable hardware, which lets the computer change the locking effect / torque bias ratio of the differential, and do so on the fly, extremely quickly. Top model Corvettes and Camaros have used these to adjust their diff's performance and tweak it to each corner they apex on a track. OTOH, vehicles like Expedition use it to make it more stable in towing and to add to off-road capability while still maintaining good road manners.

With all of that said, Bronco does not use an eLSD in any of these forms (though it will have traction control). Basic axles have open differentials. Some packages/model include eLockers (not to be confused with eLSD), that allow the open to be locked on demand. But no eLSD.
eGK9NsI.gif

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s a more complete explanation for sure. Traction control does not =elsd or mechanical locker. Better than open for sure!

OP
OP
cyberbro

cyberbro

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good info, I guess what I'm asking then will all Bronco's with open diffs have the ability to apply the brake on one side to get the transfer of energy to the opposite wheel? I know the technology is being used on crossovers and thinking about it it would be a little helpful in foul weather, not so much rock crawling.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What you are talking about is brake traction control. Pretty much every car has that today. Even the base model includes "AdvanceTrac with RSC (Roll Stability Control)". This covers basic traction management as well as stability/yaw control.

The traction management aspect does help in certain circumstances. But it is basically trying to aid moving forward (positive motion) by applying brakes (negative motion). So, it is something of a compromise. I think that if you complimented the system with good tires and a decent LSD, it would be a lot more effective.
Sponsored