Sponsored

Engine 2.3l or 2.7l? Is the upgrade worth it?

Civkik

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '18 Wrangler Rubicon, '18 R1M
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I only had one choice, which is more HP and torque. I have to stay out of the throttle from a start because she likes to spin the tires.. maybe it's the sasquatch package with the lower gears. I'm very happy with the power. Obviously it's not sports car, but I didn't buy it for that.
Sponsored

Heart2

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've driven them both. My Ranger has a 2.3L/10A and it is more than adequate for my use. My average fuel economy is 23.5 mpg (16,000 miles/18 months/city-highway). But, if I hauled heavy loads or pulled a trailer, I would want the 2.7L.

ABerrio

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have driven both engines in the Bronco. The 2.3 surprised me with lots of torque. I didnā€™t expect it to be that good. Like most people I chose the 2.3 because I wanted the manual transmission. That being said if I could get the Manual with the V6, I would have went that route also. Both engines are very capable I donā€™t think thereā€™s a wrong choice either way.

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m definitely an exception to thisā€¦I test drove a 2.3 auto Badlands on and off pavement and was completely happy with it. I was going to upgrade to the 2.7 for the hell of it, but Ford unexpectedly converted my order for this November. Honestly, after test driving it, I didnā€™t see any reason to get the 2.7 other than ā€œjust ā€˜causeā€

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a Day 1 Res for a 2.7L 2DR which was finally scheduled for build on 11/15, but in the interim was fortunate enough to buy a 2.3 Manual 4dr which I put 2k miles on. I was very opposed to the 4cyl in a 4 door but once I had it , it really grew on me. Was a little slow off the line but I would agree that it loved third gear, you just need to get there. In sport mode it seems much quicker. I averaged 20.8 mpg over 2k miles. I just think these are intentionally geared low to enhance off road performance, and you have to get through those first 2 gears for it to really start moving. I will report back once I get my V6.

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7 has electronic brake assist. The 2.3 has the Ranger inferior vacuum assist. Car and Driver has tested both and found the 2.3 has much further stopping distance.
No one pedal drive with 2.3. , along with the well documented ill designed induction system.
The 2.7 has way too many advantages not purchase. If you can't afford it you probably shouldn't
be buying a Bronco...

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
One word. Yes!! I owned a 2017 F-150. It was a rocket. Almost like driving a sports car at times. I test drove a 2.3 BL and was totally underwhelmed. If I bought the 2.3 I would have buyers remorse for sure.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a Base 4DR Sasquatch with the 2.3. The gearing is what makes the 2.3 very usable in the different configurations. I would have done the 2.7 if I just stuck with a non-SAS Base 4DR because of the 3.73 gearing. I'd also do the 2.7 if I planned to go bigger than 37" tires also.

I have no issues with the power output of the 2.3 in the SAS package. Even in ECO mode it'll pull hard once you hit about 3K RPM.

Per FUELLY, I've only averaged about 16.9 mpg over 2290 miles. Most of my driving is start/stop city type driving. On longer road trips, I've been close to 18 mpg. On board computer currently says 18 mpg so it's a little hopeful.

I'm good with my choice of the 2.3.

AllthePonies

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT and Expedition Max
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™ve driven a 2.3 manual in a mustang and a 2.7 auto in an edge st and an F-150. I enjoyed driving all three. The 2.3 has enough power and the manual is a huge plus. The 2.7 is a torque monster and is much closer in power than I would have expected compared to the 3.5TT I have in my expedition. I donā€™t think you can go wrong with either. I would go 2.3 if youā€™re a manual person (obviously) and 2.7 if youā€™re an automatic person. I will hopefully end up with a 2.3 manual black diamond.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drove the 2.7L in a four door Wildtrak (so standard Sasquatch) and it was amazing and I had an absolute blast driving it. More than enough power to push that beast around.

Last week I drove the 2.3L with an auto in four door Badlands on 33ā€™s and was extremely impressed, but it wasnā€™t quite as fun as the 2.7L.

Both engines are more than enough for the four doors, but I would go with the 2.7L if you are getting Sasquatch because of the extra tire weight. With the two door, I donā€™t think it will matter as much either way.

Personally, Iā€™m going with the 2.7L in the two door with Sasquatch because I can, but wouldnā€™t be disappointed with the 2.3L. It kicks the snot out of my JKUā€™s 3.8L and Tacomaā€™s 3.5L.

Sponsored

AllthePonies

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hereā€™s the article that @Mr. Nice mentioned regarding the acceleration and braking tests: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...021-ford-bronco-vs-jeep-wrangler-performance/

Iā€™m not sure what the induction system disadvantages are for the 2.3 though.
From what I understand, both the 2.3 and 2.7 lack port injection that could lead to excessive carbon build up down the road so thereā€™s that.
The 2.7 has both direct and port injection. Any so-called issues with direct only are overblown.

AllthePonies

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 2.7 has both direct and port injection. Any so-called issues with direct only are overblown.
Thanks, I didnā€™t realize they had added port injection to the 2.7 in 2018.

About five years ago I worked with a guy who ended up with a really rough running eco boost escape at around 150k miles, which I understood to be the result of the carbon deposits. Iā€™ve been wary of turbo engines lacking port injection since. I guess Iā€™ll find out with the 2.3!

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks, I didnā€™t realize they had added port injection to the 2.7 in 2018.

About five years ago I worked with a guy who ended up with a really rough running eco boost escape at around 150k miles, which I understood to be the result of the carbon deposits. Iā€™ve been wary of turbo engines lacking port injection since. I guess Iā€™ll find out with the 2.3!
Engine design has come far in the past 5 years.
Sponsored