toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure if General topics is the correct location for this but what are people's thoughts on the engine block heater? I know my father and brother both have F-Series diesel pickups and use the engine block heater in the winter. Wondering if it makes sense in a gas engine and if its will prevent wear in the winter months for those that don't park inside a garage.
Sponsored

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For less than $100.00 after discounts...I'm adding it.
We have some pretty cold winters here and I'm not taking the chance.
That's kind of where I am with it. Can't really easily add it after the fact (I don't think), so it appears logical if you are gonna park outside and it gets cold in your area. Well assuming this isn't an item that will delay my build....lol

OP
OP
toughtoaster

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For less than $100.00 after discounts...I'm adding it.
We have some pretty cold winters here and I'm not taking the chance.
I've read it can help with wear and tear on the engine by keeping the coolant and oil more fluid and also helps the vehicle warm up faster to reduce emissions (if thats your thing)

Sponsored

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When its really cold, the oil doesn't move through the engine as well when its forst started until its warm. This is when most damage to your engine occurs. The block heater keeps your oil warm and allows it flow immediately in very cold conditions when your engine is first started. I live in Wisconsin and plan to add one.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Asked the same question on the Michigan page a while back. I have never had a car with one and neither has anyone in my family or any of my friends, but I will be adding one on the Bronco. I plan to keep it forever so $100 to help prevent a little wear on the engine seemed worth it.

Prl jam

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Porsche Boxster S - 96 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does any one know were you plug it in?
I cant imagine NOT having one in North Dakota. A plug will will hang a couple of inches out of the front of the truck thru the grill. For $100 its a no brainer.

Firefly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F250 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My bit of research turned up that if you typically experience winter temps of 5 degrees fahrenheit and below in winter it is highly recommended. If those temps are a rarity or never happens then it is not necessary.

Sponsored

D190065

First Edition
First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco FE; 2015 HD RGS; 23 F150 Tremor ordered
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I live in Florida and will be adding it for when I drive up to cold locations. And just as everyone else said, the price alone is worth it. Besides, it's only one of four options I can add on a FE to max it out.

Lindy08

Outer Banks
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I never thought about it, but for less than a hundred bucks, why not.... Any other good bits out there like this I need to look at? opinions welcome.

Coldsteele

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150, 2007 suburban, 2008 suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm really proud of this forum right now. Facebook is full of fools saying it's only useful on a diesel and if you put one on a gas engine you're wasting your money...

As someone who lives in interior Alaska I will tell you that a block heater is a necessity on ALL vehicles here. Regardless of whether or not you have a heated garage at home. You will kill your engine if you don't plug in during the winter months here. One of my coworkers had his brand new ram truck kill itself because he didn't plug in and tried to cold start the truck after being at work for only 8 hours. Long story short, the oil was so thick it couldn't flow well enough to where it was needed and the engine ate its own bearings. I understand that most people don't live where it gets -60F in the winter but a block heater is a very useful piece of hardware that I recommend on all vehicles if you live where it gets below 10F. It reduces wear quite a bit, it makes your vehicle warm up faster, and reduces emissions if you care about that.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Live in Northern Illinois. I don't see crazy low temps, but for $100, getting one for sure. Nobody could convince me it's not worth that price if temps go below freezing ever.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When its really cold, the oil doesn't move through the engine as well when its forst started until its warm. This is when most damage to your engine occurs. The block heater keeps your oil warm and allows it flow immediately in very cold conditions when your engine is first started. I live in Wisconsin and plan to add one.
I park in a partially heated garage, and will still add it.
Sponsored