Engine break in procedure // time?

Skeener801

Black Diamond
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302, 2022 Bronco 2.3, auto, soft top.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I finally got my Black Diamond, had 7 miles on her, now I'm just curious about engine break in. Is there a defined procedure? Kind of take it easy for the first 500 miles, then full send? Change the oil at 1k miles? I've rebuilt motors before and know there is a break in with those, but never a new factory one.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Don't get the engine too hot. Don't keep it at the exact same engine speed for long periods - skip using cruise control for the first 500 miles. Otherwise, just drive the thing and enjoy it. Follow the owner's manual on oil changes.

Modern engines don't really need much of a break in like older ones from a few decades back did.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I finally got my Black Diamond, had 7 miles on her, now I'm just curious about engine break in. Is there a defined procedure? Kind of take it easy for the first 500 miles, then full send? Change the oil at 1k miles? I've rebuilt motors before and know there is a break in with those, but never a new factory one.

Thanks!
Reading the manual always helps on things like this...

OP
OP

Skeener801

Black Diamond
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't get the engine too hot. Don't keep it at the exact same engine speed for long periods - skip using cruise control for the first 500 miles. Otherwise, just drive the thing and enjoy it. Follow the owner's manual on oil changes.

Modern engines don't really need much of a break in like older ones from a few decades back did.
Got it, that was kind of my thought as well, just figured I'd ask some fellow owners for their thoughts. Thanks!

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am old school when it comes to this. Drive it for the first 1000 miles. Keeps the RPM's reasonable. Vary the speed when on the highway. Change the oil at 1000. I know most people will say the oil change is a waste of money. I do my own oil so 7 quarts of synthetic and a filter is under $45. I run the old oil through filter media and look for big chunks.

Sponsored

BroncoBarn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2008 Ford Taurus with 280,000 miles, it had Motorcraft synthetic blend it’s whole life and if you take off the oil fill cap it looks brand new inside. Doesn’t use any oil either.

OP
OP

Skeener801

Black Diamond
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 2008 Ford Taurus with 280,000 miles, it had Motorcraft synthetic blend it’s whole life and if you take off the oil fill cap it looks brand new inside. Doesn’t use any oil either.
Oh no, Motorcraft for life. I have a 2012 Boss 302 and she only gets Motorcraft 5W50. Its expensive, but its all shell get.
Sponsored