Sponsored

Sasquarch roof racks restricted from factory due to issues with GVWR; can still be installed aftermarket

dnvrBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander, Outback, 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a concept. Concepts are made all the time that you can't get. Ever seen Jeep's Safari concepts? Are you also upset they aren't offering the 50 gallon tank and high pressure water pump?
There's going to be a huge aftermarket for everyone to build these however they want.
If Ford engineers or lawyers don’t think it’s a good idea to put more weight on the roof of the model I want, that’s all I need to hear. I’m not putting another pound up there. What I do want to know is why they feel it isn’t a good idea.
Sponsored

Jrod0486

Black Diamond
First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If Ford engineers or lawyers don’t think it’s a good idea to put more weight on the roof of the model I want, that’s all I need to hear. I’m not putting another pound up there. What I do want to know is why they feel it isn’t a good idea.
If the Bronco is approaching its GVWR max, you don't want to add 400 lbs over 75 inches up, or give the ability to do so.

Lainez

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just configured a BD 2.7 with rack and headliner. Don’t remember being able to do that yesterday. Tried to do the same with a BL, and it removed the rack/headliner. Did not work with either trim and Sas.

dnvrBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a concept. Concepts are made all the time that you can't get. Ever seen Jeep's Safari concepts? Are you also upset they aren't offering the 50 gallon tank and high pressure water pump?
There's going to be a huge aftermarket for everyone to build these however they want.
This was a concept with a product manager giving interviews that we can get all this from Ford when you order. So, if Jeep had a guy promising a 50gal tank with pump and that’s exactly what I wanted in my Jeep, I would be upset when they later said: “psych!”

Sponsored

xXChartmanXx

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If the Bronco is approaching its GVWR max, you don't want to add 400 lbs over 75 inches up, or give the ability to do so.
A 2 door with SAS and roof rack only ways between 170-249 pounds less than a 4 door with the same.
Estimated base curb weights (lbs.)*
2.3L EcoBoost® (Manual/Automatic)4319/4339 - 4957/49774499/4509 - 4997/5226
2.7L EcoBoost®4491 - 51294661 - 5320

I know enough about physics to understand how GVWR is calculated. It has to do with weight at any given point stopped and in motion, and what the axles, wheels, tires, engine, and braking systems can handle.

A 2 door with SAS and a Roof Rack, is the same height and width as a 4 door but with a 16 inch shorter wheelbase. That means that there is more weight placed on the wheels and axles and a much lower tipping point on it then the 4 door which would spread out the weight and be a more balanced vehicle. The small difference in weight would probably make the GVWR for the 2 door much lower than a 4 door.

That's why I believe the B&P is wrong. Hope we get something from Ford on this soon to put it to rest. In the end I'll put one on myself if I have to, but really think this is a moot point. Especially since even the pre-production cars have to meet safety standards and there have been plenty of 4 door SAS Broncos with Roof Racks out for testing. Hopefully we get some facts this week.

Yooperwheels

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner, Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A 2 door with SAS and roof rack only ways between 170-249 pounds less than a 4 door with the same.

I know enough about physics to understand how GVWR is calculated. It has to do with weight at any given point stopped and in motion, and what the axles, wheels, tires, engine, and braking systems can handle.

A 2 door with SAS and a Roof Rack, is the same height and width as a 4 door but with a 16 inch shorter wheelbase. That means that there is more weight placed on the wheels and axles and a much lower tipping point on it then the 4 door which would spread out the weight and be a more balanced vehicle. The small difference in weight would probably make the GVWR for the 2 door much lower than a 4 door.

That's why I believe the B&P is wrong. Hope we get something from Ford on this soon to put it to rest. In the end I'll put one on myself if I have to, but really think this is a moot point. Especially since even the pre-production cars have to meet safety standards and there have been plenty of 4 door SAS Broncos with Roof Racks out for testing. Hopefully we get some facts this week.

dnvrBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am able to add winch, brush bar, tube step, and rock rails to a 4d wildtrak. Probably over 400 lbs of accessories. But now the roof rack option is gone as are any roof accessories. Maybe it’s always been that way because WT has 2.7 and squatch. Other than the fact that the accessories I chose are mounted low, it’s still in the gvwr, right?

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Not trying to single you out, I haven't seen anyone who has gotten it yet and you asked about the GVWR. It is higher than curb weight and includes human and cargo capacity. So while the curb weight of the lightest 2-door is, as you say, about only 170-250 lbs lighter (did not verify, took your word for it), you are forgetting cargo. With the rack, you can get the weight of the rack plus, IIRC 110Lbs of cargo in it. As to cargo, they likely use an approved formula for cargo weight per square or cubic foot and there is more storage space in the 4-door, and the big item that I haven't seen mentioned; The 4 door is a five seat configuration, while the 2-door is a four seater, so add the 'average' weight they use for another person in there as well.

That is gotta be at least 300-400lbs more (delta) above curb weight, in the 4-door than in the 2-door (not the total extra, just the, well...extra extra) and it is probably higher, if you go compare the GVWR for the configurations to the curb weight, you can subtract out the number Ford uses for all those extra pounds in each door configuration.

It is more statutory regulations than physics in this case I believe and it might cross that regulatory threshold with some of the options. (don't forget the Sasquatch package is going to be on the high side of the curb weights).

People wonder where the option for that pull out slider is hiding (a 4-door only option). Might be a weight problem as well, I bet it is at least 175lbs.

GVWR is static (not moving), the cost of the supercomputer time for the finite element analysis of a moving (dynamic) load in a vehicle would probably cost more than landing on the Moon did back in my day.

Edit; took out some ranting that was not helpful.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jrod0486

Black Diamond
First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Really don't think B&P is wrong, but apparently some folks won't accept that until an engineer comes on and explains. As was pointed out before, there was a note on the specs about roof load for 4-door Sasquatch since we got the initial specs at launch. B&P now reinforces that.
Ford Bronco Sasquarch roof racks restricted from factory due to issues with GVWR; can still be installed aftermarket 20201026_055758

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The thing that really gets me is the inability to build a 4 door Badlands with 2.7 and the sound deadening roof. Does it really peak the weight that much? Yet I can build a 2.7 badlands, sasquatch which will certainly add more weight than the sound deadening material in the roof.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just configured a BD 2.7 with rack and headliner. Don’t remember being able to do that yesterday. Tried to do the same with a BL, and it removed the rack/headliner. Did not work with either trim and Sas.
Not with Sas...

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So... definitely not engineers just doing their jobs.
Or the legal team's covering the lack of sound engineering. Who knows?