Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a gas station near me that has 90 ethanol-free gas. I usually use it for my lawn mower and snow blower so that they can start right up after a few months of just sitting in my shed. Any benefit to use for the Bronco?
Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nope. It is fine to use but the engines are designed to use fuel with some degree of ethanol. I don't recall the percentage allowed.

In my EB, that is all I use.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Small engines aren't designed to run on ethanol based fuels, but every modern vehicle is.

If it's the same price and/or provides you with peace of mind to run ethanol free fuel, have at it... but it's not required.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2% better fuel mileage vs 10% ethanol.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here's my experience using ethenol free gas in my GM plastic car. My butt meter couldn't tell any difference in the preformance. It did get a couple miles more per gallon, but not enough to make up for the higher price. YMMV

Sponsored

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Slightly better fuel economy, but it's usually more expensive. No benefit in the bronco, if anything it hurts a little not having the cooling effect in the combustion chamber of the ethanol. Modern vehicles are designed to run up to 15% ethanol.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ran one tank of ethanol free gas, and my mpg for that tank was 3 mpg less than the 87 octane I usually run. I've run a few tanks of 93, and while the hp difference is slightly noticeable, I've found so far that get the best mpg on 87.

I've run a spreadsheet from my first fill up and tracked my mpg via fill up and miles driven, vs the on-board computer calculated mpg. I've found the on-board mpg to be high by about 1 mpg

Last edited:

elseminoleguapo

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

No, ethanol-free gas is meant for boats and machines like you mentioned that could have fuel sitting unused for long times. Over time, ethanol evaporates, but provided you use your car with some regularity, there is no benefit.

ejkre

Black Diamond
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I listen to a podcast (The Under The Hood Show). They answered a question from a guy asking if it was okay to use ethanol in his 2021 Tacoma. They said yes. One reason being the extra octane is good. Then it burns cleaner, so it limits the carbon build up in engines. With these Bronco engines being direct injection, I would imagine that's a good thing. If anything, it may be good to seek out fuels with higher ethanol content. It may be rated for 15% ethanol like other slightly older Ford products, which I believe would be 88 octane.

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I"ll run it me '96 4Runner if I'm filling my cans for the small engines etc (and to keep on hand). I actually don't get as good of mileage out of it as typical E10 gas, maybe 1 or 1.5 MPG less. Considering the wonderful efficiency of that vehicle, that's over a 10% difference :)
Sponsored