Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Please don't include politics or how ever you may feel about EV's. I'm genuinely interested and would love to trade my current 21 Bronco for a EV Bronco when it becomes available. Has there been any news on this since Ford teased the EV Bronco picture like 2 years ago? I also saw this article recently that Ford is moving ahead with a few new EV models in the next few years.

https://electrek.co/2023/02/03/ford-developing-next-gen-ev-pickup-electric-platform/
Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

An ev bronco sounds cool but there's no way it could look like it does currently. The aerodynamics are awful and would impact the range. The wheels would have to be swapped out for something larger to reduce rolling resistance.
Personally I'm hoping Ford puts out something like the 4xe. Most of my trips during the week are under 25 miles. Being able to do that all electric would be awesome, but still retaining the range to go further off the beaten path. That is until solid state batteries become a thing and then ev all the way

OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

An ev bronco sounds cool but there's no way it could look like it does currently. The aerodynamics are awful and would impact the range. The wheels would have to be swapped out for something larger to reduce rolling resistance.
Personally I'm hoping Ford puts out something like the 4xe. Most of my trips during the week are under 25 miles. Being able to do that all electric would be awesome, but still retaining the range to go further off the beaten path. That is until solid state batteries become a thing and then ev all the way
I'm not married to any automaker and the reason I bought a Bronco over a Wrangler is because i legitmently thought its a much better vechicle. This is coming from a former 2D wrangler owner. I was very close to purchasing a 4xe but I couldnt get past the short range. I need at least 50-60 miles a day to make it worth while. I'd be shocked if Ford doesnt come out at least with a PHEV before 2030.

I know a few automakers are plowing ahead with a lifestyle type vehicle like Bronco/Wrangler competitor. Including Volkwagen bringing back the Scout nameplate and Rivian with the R2 platform scheduled for 2025. Ford has to keep pushing forward to stay competitive in this segment. Even Jeep has the Magneto/Recon coming soon.

Last edited:

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think we'll see hybrids for Ranger and Bronco in a few years. The 4xe doesn't get spectacular mileage on long trips, about 20mpg. Much better than Jeep's other engines. The battery only lasts for 21 miles.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was very close to purchasing a 4xe but I couldnt get past the short range. I need at least 50-60 miles a day to make it worth while
50-60 would be great, but the average American commute is around 41 miles which means the average person could get to work on just electric power, recharge at work and then make it home. The majority of my midweek trips are really short, and 25 miles to the charge would be awesome.

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My guess is we will see an electric Scout and other choices before the Ford has an electric Bronco. I think a hybrid makes more sense for many Bronco owners.

After owning a Tesla Model S for 8 years and putting 140k miles on it, I'm absolutely a potential buyer for an all-electric Scout or Bronco. I will, however, keep our diesel for towing as all the EV's have super limited towing range. I tow a 6,800 pound boat 1,900 miles twice a year between Florida and Minnesota and if I used an F150 Lighting it would take me twice a long to make the trip.

George Ellis

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 DRW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When they put charging stations throughout Moab, then it might be time for an EV Bronco. Otherwise, you are committing it to be a mall crawler. There are better mall vehicles, unless you need it as a penal compensation device. ;)

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

When they put charging stations throughout Moab, then it might be time for an EV Bronco. Otherwise, you are committing it to be a mall crawler. There are better mall vehicles, unless you need it as a penal compensation device. ;)
There is a hell of a lot of use case for this vehicle between Moab and the mall. It's not one or the other, and they aren't mutually exclusive either. Assuming that malls are still a thing where you live of course.

mx6bfast

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, son's 08 Civic, wife's biz 22 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is a dumb comment, not everyone lives near off roading areas. Some of us will use this as a daily driver.

Nosferatu

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in for a hybrid just for the additional torque.

All electric doesn't interest me one bit.

I would have bought a Jeep 4xe if I could have one in a 2-door.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Considering Jeep came out when they unveiled the 2024 Recon that it should make it to Moab and back on one charge. Jeep and Rivian are also installing charging at popular trail sites. This doesn't even include when I go camping there is 240 volt level 2 charging at the camp site thats usually for RV's. I took my Bronco to Arizona did some offroading and Big Bend. I would be perfectly fine charging my vehicle overnight at the campsite.

For my use case my Bronco is our only vehicle right now since we sold the GMC. A rugged off road vehicle that I can also daily as an EV would be perfect. We do have a Cadillac Lyriq on order for my wife if GM can ever get there act together.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Considering Jeep came out when they unveiled the 2024 Recon that it should make it to Moab and back on one charge. Jeep and Rivian are also installing charging at popular trail sites. This doesn't even include when I go camping there is 240 volt level 2 charging at the camp site thats usually for RV's. I took my Bronco to Arizona did some offroading and Big Bend. I would be perfectly fine charging my vehicle overnight at the campsite.

For my use case my Bronco is our only vehicle right now since we sold the GMC. A rugged off road vehicle that I can also daily as an EV would be perfect. We do have a Cadillac Lyriq on order for my wife if GM can ever get there act together.
I thought most RV plugs were 120V 30A or 50A?

OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought most RV plugs were 120V 30A or 50A?
I doubled checked online just to make sure I wasnt wrong and this was the first thing that popped up on google. " Many RV parks have electric hookup posts that have a 240 volt / 50 amp outlet, a 120 volt / 30 amp outlet, and sometimes standard 120 volt outlets." I remember TFL did a similar test on youtube.

Go to 8 min i think they got a full charge overnight. But I get most campgrounds are 120 volt which in that case you get 40 miles which I think is plenty to get to a charger as the infrastructure continues to build out.

Last edited:

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My opinion, a series hybrid setup like what Audi is using on the RS Q e-tron Dakar racer would be the ideal middle ground for a vehicle like the Bronco or Wrangler, or any sort of offroad/overlanding capable vehicle for that matter. Add plugin ability with a 75-100 straight EV range and tons of torque when needed, I think it would win over a lot of traditional ICE buyers both on the trail and on pavement.

OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My opinion, a series hybrid setup like what Audi is using on the RS Q e-tron Dakar racer would be the ideal middle ground for a vehicle like the Bronco or Wrangler, or any sort of offroad/overlanding capable vehicle for that matter. Add plugin ability with a 75-100 straight EV range and tons of torque when needed, I think it would win over a lot of traditional ICE buyers both on the trail and on pavement.
I think you're right with PHEV for now to win over the people that are hesitant. I personally would never buy a phev - part of owning an ev is the extremley low maintance requirements. I'd rather not have the ICE engine all together.

I get the hesitation and trust me im not naive to that fact of EV limitations with current infrastructure. For ex. truck towing has a long way to go but even if you look at ICE you lose 50% mpg to towing. So just increasing the infrastructure/battery capacity or waiting for solid state.

I guess for me I've driven plenty of different EV models including Tesla, Ford, and Volkswagen. Every time I get back into an ICE vehicle I feel like I went back to the Dinosaur area.
Sponsored