Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
True enough. What's more is that a lot of people don't have any comprehension of how long it takes to develop a product and put into production, much less one as complicated an automobile. Most people don't particularly care about any of that as long as Prime delivers it tomorrow.
From what I understand, developing a new chassis has approximately $1 billion of development costs associated to it and takes ~2 years.

That's quite different than the days of bespoke coach works....
Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

True enough. What's more is that a lot of people don't have any comprehension of how long it takes to develop a product and put into production, much less one as complicated an automobile. Most people don't particularly care about any of that as long as Prime delivers it tomorrow.
Yup. I started in plastics 20+ years ago. Then went into aerospace making parts for every 7x7 Boeing plane plus every fighter jet in the American fleet and currently in the automotive aftermarket. Delays are a given especially in the midst of a global event such as what we're experiencing. The only thing that has really changed is the fact we have 24/7 access to every leak and tidbit of info. A lot of this in the past would have largely gone unnoticed by the general public and we'd all be a little better off mentally for it lol.

Scorprob

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It’s true, Ford is taking a while to come out with the B&P but it’s for a good reason, they listened to the buyers and lately is putting a leash in to its dealers to operate most transparently. From my side, I rather wait a while and get treat with respect by dealers and at the end get a good and reliable product.

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
My thought is , has there ever been a more open and dissected roll out of a new model ?
Two sides to every story but Ford did not have include anyone not employed by them until the product launch

Hopefully the end result will make a lot of frustration fade into the past

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed. There's a reason that a vehicle development cycle is 4-5 years. That really isn't any different here; just this time, Ford has been under the public microscope the entire time rather than completely behind the curtain. I'm guessing here, but I rather suspect that they wouldn't have subjected themselves to that or made the Bronco announcement in 2017 if they hadn't been outed by the UAW. They would've held the announcement till maybe the 2019-2020 auto show season. But these days, the press does a much more thorough job of digging into the behind the scenes stuff.

I work for an automotive supplier, I have seen the typical product development cycle. This Bronco business is much more unusual than typical, even from the perspective of often seeing what's coming before its public.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's quite different than the days of bespoke coach works....
Bespoke Coaches are coming back. The future of EVs is supposedly a platform upon which you put your own customized coach - powered by 4 independently-motorized wheels.

Ford Bronco Example of difficulties building a new model in 2020/2021 1602611493778

Swap-out your power platform when you need work done, or want an upgrade. Google REE EV

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco Example of difficulties building a new model in 2020/2021 1602611493778

I get the factory delays. We should have switched to robots decades ago...looking at you UAW.

I just want the Build and Price, that can be programmed from mothers' basements around the globe, to play with for the entire year I'll be waiting for my Bronco.

*don't read this. I said don't read this. You're doing it again.
This 100%. I don't expect to get my Bronco any sooner than late June of 2021 at the earliest. But what I would like are the things that have been promised for a long time already. We were promised a color and materials walkthrough weeks ago now, being told it had already been filmed by BroncoNation and was going to be edited and put out for everyone to see. Where is that color and materials walkthrough? It takes one person with editing software to edit a video and not weeks of time. What about the Build and Price that was promised "by September" and has been pushed back multiple times for various excuses? Video games are put out incomplete all the time and are updated with patches as time goes on. Microsoft releases half-baked software all the time and only fixes it once enough consumers complain about it. I'm not asking for final pricing (even though Ford should have had a grasp on what they were going to charge for things back in July). I know Ford could now face supply chain issues due to the pandemic so I'm not mad about that. I'm asking for a website that lets me choose my trim, color, and options. It would then show me a picture of what that vehicle would look like and possibly a half-baked estimate of what it might cost. It doesn't have to be perfect and that's what they have their disclosures for isn't it as things can change? Give me B&P, half-baked or finished, I don't care.

Edelfin

Big Bend
First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Delays are expected. Went through this when my girlfriend purchased a new RAV4. Ya'll probably see them everywhere and they are the ONLY top five model to have an increase in sales at the start of 2020. Big difference is Toyota has a stellar production arm that could outfit factories and almost double Ford's new vehicle production capacity. Even then, RAV4s have waiting lists at most dealerships and the price has increased in the last six months. I see the same thing happening to Bronco once people see them driving around.

Another example of an in-demand model is the Kia Telluride. The markup is insane on those and people are on months long lists to pay that.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From the Bible, Hebrews 6:15: "And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise."

Not the same context I know, but good words none the less.
Many of us will get our Broncos, some of us won't for reasons beyond our control. I'm really excited for it, but realistic that it may not happen for me, and I'm good with it.
Sponsored