Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Love that stripe. (y)
Likewise. It's the only stripe I've seen that I would put on mine....and of course it's the only one I've seen that was about something completely unrelated and therefore didn't include info on where to buy.
Sponsored

TomH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok here we go…Oil filters are spun on dry when they assemble the engines…FYI

Also, check the ford service manual, it will not tell you to pre fill the filter during an oil change.

This mechanic explains why NOT to pre-fill...go to the 11:48 minute mark and watch through the through 13:48 minute mark for a good explanation. I have been changing my own oil for 40+ years and have always pre-filled my filters. not anymore.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6fOPeG4Hs

Last edited:

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Also, check the ford service manual, it will not tell you to pre fill the filter during an oil change.
New engines are built with assembly lube to protect them during initial start. Service manual information isn't always best practice information. :)

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Where did you get the stripe?
Pretty sure it’s THIS ONE

I don’t think replacing the plug every time is necessary at all. The washer/gasket…sure. Is it metal or plastic on the plastic oil pan?

Thinking of going RONIN - anyone for/against? I had Fumoto on my VWs.

My next and all subsequent oil changes will be done my me now that my initial complementary 5k was done by the dealer. So, I appreciate this video even though I’ve changed my own oil all my life. Just answers some “best practices” questions instead of finding out the hard way.

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Actually, I've never heard it referred to anything other than "Clear Flood Mode", most fuel injected vehicles have this feature. It's purpose is to clear the cylinders of fuel in the event of a rich stall (flooding) condition by shutting off the fuel injectors. Although priming the oil filter is also a good use, I suppose.
Hah… talked to my father yesterday evening, and this post @Snydermann made is correct. It is called “Clear Flood Mode”.

Earlier I said it was called flood mode because it floods the engine with oil. Which it kind of does in a way since it turns on the oil pump. But that’s not why it is called flood mode. He just told me that because he thought I would have an easier time remembering it.

I guess it worked, so… props to him.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Watching someone change their oil is right up there with sitting through someone's vacation sideshow... tl:dr

OP
OP
Raptor911

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
FYI .. the 2.3 has a metal oil pan so RONIN will not work. Go with Fumoto if you want a valve. I had a 2016 RS which has the 2.3 and I used a Fumoto on it:

Ford Bronco Excellent 2.3L Bronco Oil Change Video 1639754028768

Pretty sure it’s THIS ONE

I don’t think replacing the plug every time is necessary at all. The washer/gasket…sure. Is it metal or plastic on the plastic oil pan?

Thinking of going RONIN - anyone for/against? I had Fumoto on my VWs.

My next and all subsequent oil changes will be done my me now that my initial complementary 5k was done by the dealer. So, I appreciate this video even though I’ve changed my own oil all my life. Just answers some “best practices” questions instead of finding out the hard way.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Raptor911 - ah, no sh*t. I thought they both had plastic. I haven’t taken the skid plate off myself yet. Thanks for the heads up. I don’t think Fumoto has one for Bronco yet. Supposedly spring?

Sponsored

NorthernSoul

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where did you get the stripe?
I want that stripe so emailed IAG to find out where they got it... They had a local shop do it so not something you can get online. The ridergraphix one is close but personally I like the rounded corner at the front and thicker stripe on this one vs the traditional BOSS angled one.

I'm going to have a local shop make one for me..

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

This mechanic explains why NOT to pre-fill...go to the 11:48 minute mark and watch through the through 13:48 minute mark for a good explanation. I have been changing my own oil for 40+ years and have always pre-filled my filters. not anymore.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6fOPeG4Hs
Okay, okay. When you can't guarantee the conditions under which the filter will be filled, or the competence of the mechanic filling it, the safest thing to do is just recommend installing it dry. I'm confident I can fill a new oil filter with new oil and not introduce any contaminants.

Back in the day, working on VW diesels for VW, it was mandatory to pre-fill the oil filter, as well as the fuel filter. You might not even get a diesel to run without pre-filling the fuel filter. I'd go so far as to say a diesel injection pump is even more precision than a diesel engine.

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah I've been doing it all wrong for years.! Actually he knew, making the video, that he was going to lose it in the drain tank so it appeared that it was planned.!! LOL.! Good video though, I learned a little.!
When I was turning wrenches, our tank funnels had screens in them for that. I used to drop em all the time and then just grabbed em later, no biggie. I don't know of any that come without a screen, even the cheap Amazon ones.

JRHEXP

Outer Banks
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 04 Lightning,29AModel, 21 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@Raptor911 - ah, no sh*t. I thought they both had plastic. I haven’t taken the skid plate off myself yet. Thanks for the heads up. I don’t think Fumoto has one for Bronco yet. Supposedly spring?
I have looked at Fumoto for 2.3 and have not seen one yet either.
Sponsored