First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 Land Rover 90 p/u, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good video. First I've heard of the "Flat Foot Crank" feature, pretty cool.

fpGT350

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Viper RT/10; 09 AMG C63; 18 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Excellent. Thanks for posting!

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Informative on how to get in there, and the cranking method, pretty slick.

BUT

"And here we're going to put just a touch of the *OLD* oil on the filter ring..."

Ford Bronco Excellent 2.3L Bronco Oil Change Video 1639579848805

And oil change 101 is knowing that if you flip the bucket over and put the spout at the top, it won't glug everywhere and potentially splash all over the place

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thought the same thing. Never heard of this before. And also wonder how it works with manual trans since need clutch to start.
For manual transmission you hold down the clutch and the gas pedal at the same time. For the automatic transmission it is the gas and the brake (as they showed in the video). If you have an automatic transmission without the push button start, you can skip the brake pedal, just have the hold down the gas pedal while turning the key.

It's called "flood mode" because you are flooding the engine with oil. One of the many handy tricks I picked up from my father who is a (now retired) Ford engineer.

(Don't tell him that I learned from him though, I was a punk teenager who was convinced there would never be a situation when I needed to know what flood mode was and how to use it. Can't ruin my reputation. :cool:)

Last edited:

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For manual transmission you hold down the clutch and the gas pedal at the same time. For the automatic transmission it is the gas and the brake (as they showed in the video). If you have an automatic transmission without the push button start, you can skip the brake pedal, just have the hold down the gas pedal while turning the key.

It's called "flood mode" because you are flooding the engine with oil. One of the many handy tricks I picked up from my father who is a (now retired) Ford engineer.

(Don't tell him that I learned from him though, I was a punk teenager who was convinced there would never be a situation when I needed to know what flood mode was and how to use it. Can't ruin my reputation. :cool:)
So this is safe to do each oil change? As far as no strain on any parts by doing this?

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Funny how parents were sometimes right about stuff.
Tell him he will appreciate it.❤

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Actually, I've never heard it referred to anything other than "Clear Flood Mode", most fuel injected vehicles have this feature. It's purpose is to clear the cylinders of fuel in the event of a rich stall (flooding) condition by shutting off the fuel injectors. Although priming the oil filter is also a good use, I suppose.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So this is safe to do each oil change? As far as no strain on any parts by doing this?
As you might imagine it does put some extra strain on the battery and starter. But realistically you can do this whenever. That said, there are really only three situations where it makes sense to do it:
  • After the vehicle stalls to clear the cylinders of extra fuel (as @Snydermann mentioned).
  • Immediately after an oil change to prime the oil pump.
  • When it is really cold outside or your vehicle has sat for an extended period of time to once again prime the oil pump.
Funny how parents were sometimes right about stuff.
Tell him he will appreciate it.❤
Yeah... I'll fully admit I didn't really appreciate my father until after I had left the house and had children. It's just the little things that you don't think matters when you are a stupid teenager.

I remember in college that one of my classmates had a flat tire on his car, and he literally had no idea how to change the tire on his car. Just... wow.... blew me away because I figured it was basically required knowledge if you owned a car. But when I think back, it was my father that taught me how to do that when I was 12-13 years old. And not everyone is fortunate enough to have someone teach you how to do things.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Arrmjr

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord and Civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. This is the best example I've seen of how to use the oil drain channel, and just cracking the filter at first. The others I've seen either skipped that part entirely, or completely remove the filter, which still splashes some old oil around, with most (?) going down the channel.

rhymeswithbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Cranking the engine after an oil change to build pressure is great, but not filling the filter with oil first seems like a terrible idea. Unless I'm missing something here, you're pumping air through the oil galleys until the filter media is saturated and the canister fills up. It seems like he's "saving" time at the expense of unnecessary potential engine wear. Why not fill the filter and flat foot crank?

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Cranking the engine after an oil change to build pressure is great, but not filling the filter with oil first seems like a terrible idea. Unless I'm missing something here, you're pumping air through the oil galleys until the filter media is saturated and the canister fills up. It seems like he's "saving" time at the expense of unnecessary potential engine wear. Why not fill the filter and flat foot crank?
Filling a horizontally mounted filter just makes a mess when installing it. :)
Sponsored